PDA

View Full Version : RE-Metro 26 mulch kits.

dishboy
05-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Has any body who has received their Metro 26 actually recieved a mulch kit plug or mulching blade along with their mower ? Does the mulch kit actually exsist?

Turf Dancer
06-01-2005, 02:50 AM
my dealer told me that they have them on order but are not sure when they will be there!

dishboy
06-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Turf Dancer,
Did your mower even show up last week? Mine was supposedly shipped a week ago Monday from Phoenix but has disappeared off the face of the earth.

I suspect the mulch kits were a after thought and have not been made yet. Fred H. from Exmark told me last winter this was only to be a bagging mower, so when I saw they offered a kit on the web site I was surprised.

z_clark
06-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Dealer told me 6 to 8 weeks.

We are using it w/o the plug, and it seems to be mulching fine. Not the best in tall wet grass for mulching, but what is.

I plan go getting the mulch kit when it comes in.

Fareway Lawncare
06-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Its Just a Plug and a Blade....Duct Tape the Bag Opening..Sharpen your Blade to the Center Hole and Go Nuts....

They're Never Going to Mulch as Well as the 21"/6hp Kaw so Get Used to Bagging.

z_clark
06-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Agreed, they probably will not mulch as good as 21" with the same motor.

BUT, all my properties are being cut every week, so we are not cutting TONS off at a time. Works for our application so far.....only one day on the new 26", I will post tomorrow when I get the review from my guys.

dishboy
06-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Apparently Exmark has put a hold on the mulch kits because they were not happy with the cut, this is what my dealer has relayed from the Rep this afternoon. He says they are real close on their redesign so hopefully they will get them out soon.

My mower has disappeared and nobody knows where to? They are shipping another one Hot Freight.

Oldtimer
06-01-2005, 09:54 PM
The mulch kits should start shipping next week.

Oldtimer

desert rose gardening
06-02-2005, 08:41 PM
From what I have been told the 26 wont mulch very good. The deck was made to bag, the same design as the Honda 21. I hear the Honda 21 dosent mulch good, my Proline mulches great. I can see side by side that the Honda and the Toro decks are very diferant. Im still going to buy a mulch kit for my 26. Maybe Meg Mow has a blade for us.

Fareway Lawncare
06-02-2005, 10:40 PM
I Tried to Tell these Crazy Kids to Stick w/their 21"/Metro/Proline's But Nobody Listened...

The 26" Will Not Mulch as Well...The 26" is Much Much Heavier so When You're Going around a Small Property w/all that Turning and Backing Up You Will Just Move a Little Bit Slower to Compensate...

RIP Proline/Suzuki.

greeneakers04
06-02-2005, 10:51 PM
I Tried to Tell these Crazy Kids to Stick w/their 21"/Metro/Proline's But Nobody Listened...

The 26" Will Not Mulch as Well...The 26" is Much Much Heavier so When You're Going around a Small Property w/all that Turning and Backing Up You Will Just Move a Little Bit Slower to Compensate...

RIP Proline/Suzuki.

I too was concerned about this weight issue. Fareway, have you seen/pushed around/played with/used this mower yet? I went to the Exmark dealer today and saw it for the first time. It is a beast! I rolled it around and made a few turns with it. As light if not lighter feeling than my little Toro when making turns. Very sturdy. The dealer admitted that the initial shipments had belt problems, but it has been fixed on the new ones. I will be picking one up. Top speed of 4.1 MPH.

dishboy
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
From what I have been told the 26 wont mulch very good. The deck was made to bag, the same design as the Honda 21. I hear the Honda 21 dosent mulch good, my Proline mulches great. I can see side by side that the Honda and the Toro decks are very diferant. Im still going to buy a mulch kit for my 26. Maybe Meg Mow has a blade for us.

I am confident I will be able to get this mower to mulch just fine. I modified my old style HRC (the underpowered one ) and it is wonderful in tall wet grass even though we set a record for rainfall this month. I have been working on my Suzuki Proline and now I have tightened up the cut and stopped leaving trails in thick grass. All you have to do is look at the pattern the grass leaves under the deck and where it dumps out grass , then make changes to get it right.

Fareway Lawncare
06-02-2005, 11:17 PM
All you Need to Do to Make the Prolines Mulch Like a Champ is Remove those Silly Plastic Kickers....Set the RPMs @ 3700...Make Sure the Blade is Sharpened to Center Hole & Go Nuts.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
06-03-2005, 07:27 PM
We've had the 26 on the trailer for a week now and pretty happy with it. Lawns we bag, triple cut and haul of 3-4 bags with on the Metro 21's was done in 1 pass this time around which is great. I've also noticed we finish quicker with them.

I've only personally used it once and kept running it into things because I had WB Syndrome (pulling up on the lever expecting to reverese). Now my 120lb girl who works for me loves it and if she can handle it I'm sure most of you guys could to.

Fareway Lawncare
06-03-2005, 08:42 PM
This is Why i Don't Trust Anyone's Opinion on a New Machine...The Shiny Paint Blinds Their Judgement.

How can you have to Empty the Bag "3-4" Times w/the 21" and Only Once w/the 26" When the 21" Proline Bags are 2.5 Bushel and the 26" ..3 Bushel ?

How Many Times do I Empty the Bag w/the 21" Metro/Kaw's ?....Never...The Bag Stays at the Dealer for Resale to Some Moron who Wore his Bag Out.

Howard Roark
06-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Well I'll update my opinion on the 26, as some of you may have read my last post of being ready to put this thing on Ebay.

After my right wheel drive going out and being able to make spectacular right turns only, my dealer fixed it up pronto with spare parts from another model that he had in the "showroom". I told him I feel like I own half that machine too as I now have gears AND a drive belt from it.

But alas, it was an extremely productive week. I got stuck solo yesterday, and used the 26 on most of my lawns, including my nicest bermuda and St. Aug ones. I have to say i'm quite pleased, even after today which included 23 lawns and more than half done with it. I will still say it's SLOW, at least compared to the 21 proline Kawi's. We're working on that problem now, but once this baby mulches and we get it up to speed I'll be very satisfied.

And any new problem that arises at least I know there's a spare machine full of good parts at my dealer! :blob3:

Jeff@SGLC.ca
06-04-2005, 01:37 AM
This is Why i Don't Trust Anyone's Opinion on a New Machine...The Shiny Paint Blinds Their Judgement.

How can you have to Empty the Bag "3-4" Times w/the 21" and Only Once w/the 26" When the 21" Proline Bags are 2.5 Bushel and the 26" ..3 Bushel ?

How Many Times do I Empty the Bag w/the 21" Metro/Kaw's ?....Never...The Bag Stays at the Dealer for Resale to Some Moron who Wore his Bag Out.

And that is why I think you are an Idiot on this site Fareway with no constructive critisizm to give anyone but shoot your mouth off. I'm just going on my mowing with it one week compared to the next week. I made two passes on the lawn and cut it fine vs my multiple passes and did not have to empty the bag once vs the (2-3 times sorry) I did with the Metro 21" So you can blow it out your grASS because last I checked you were standing beside me as I cut.

Oh and after a weeks use the paint was kinda dusty so I'm pretty sure I could see ok.

Fareway Lawncare
06-04-2005, 02:06 AM
You are Entitled to Your Rookie Opinions...But it Seems We are From the Same General Area...and I Haven't Bagged a Blade of Grass in over 3 Years.

Lawn Sharks
06-04-2005, 08:50 AM
All you Need to Do to Make the Prolines Mulch Like a Champ is Remove those Silly Plastic Kickers....Set the RPMs @ 3700...Make Sure the Blade is Sharpened to Center Hole & Go Nuts.

Really? Should I just remove the kickers? Never even thought of it. Noticeable difference?

dishboy
06-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Really? Should I just remove the kickers? Never even thought of it. Noticeable difference?

For sure remove the rear kicker by the gearbox,this one causes a dumping of grass when grass is thick. My observation is that in normal conditions with all the kickers removed my QOC declines. Kickers will tighten up the cut of a low lift blade. In lush tall conditions removing the kickers does prolong the amount of time the deck packs with grass and begins dumping. For the best cut on my lawns I have removed the rear kicker and added a kicker from the sfs 36 inch deck at the three o'clock position right in front of the aluminum protrusion that splits the flow, diverting grass to the outside, instead of to the inside of the deck. My next experiment will be to remove the front large kickers and replace with the smaller SFS steel kickers.

Fareway Lawncare
06-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Take off All the Kickers and Throw Them in the Garbage...Once You Hit Lush Turf the Kickers Just act like Grass Build-Up Under the Deck...Less Room For Massive Amounts of Clippings to Circulate...It's a Marketing Gimmick That Probably Looked Good on the Computer Screen Simulation of Some Dumb Toro Engineer.

I Have a Huge Stack of Kickers, Spark Arrestor Screens, Trimmer Guards & Discharge Covers if Anyone Needs Some Cheap.

greeneakers04
06-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Does anyone mind if ask what a kicker is?

I hope not.

What is a kicker?

dishboy
06-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Does anyone mind if ask what a kicker is?

I hope not.

What is a kicker?
It is a metal or plastic triangle deflector that that forces grass toward the center and down into the blade. If you go to Toro's website they have parts illustrations with diagrams if you are really curious.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
06-04-2005, 11:08 PM
You are Entitled to Your Rookie Opinions...But it Seems We are From the Same General Area...and I Haven't Bagged a Blade of Grass in over 3 Years.

Honestly, I don't know how u haven't.

dishboy
06-08-2005, 12:34 AM
My Metro 26 finally arrived. Heavy long machine. I cut a 1/4 inch off the blade lift, sharpened to center, installed kickers, threw my Honda mulch plug in it and a rag and went mulching. Second gear is slow, but OK for the first pass on tight yards. Third gear at 3600 is damn near a gallop. The mower does not seem to care as the mower has more than enough power for the growth it will see on my yards and this thing weighs enough to stay on the ground at a fast walk. Cut is excellent .

This machine is fast and because of it's length/weight you will get a work out and also get your heart rate up if you mow in third gear. For lawns under six K that require a 36 and a 21 this machine will match your time using the 26 alone.

One problem, day one configuration of now a medium lift stock blade and funky mulch plug set up mulched grass very well but left leaves in place. I think I had too much lift so I cut another 1/4 of sail off the aggressive high lift blade. Mowed my thick backyard and it mulched and cut excellent. Will not know until tomorrow on the leaf issue as I do my shade lawns.

This mower has to be a great bagger but I was disappointed (for mulching) to to see the very narrow deck on the left side following the chute exit to about the 9 or 10 o'clock position, which I think is the cause of my leaf issue. Too much velocity.

Howard Roark
06-08-2005, 09:45 AM
This machine is fast and because of it's length/weight you will get a work out and also get your heart rate up if you mow in third gear.

I guess I need to take mine to the dealer to find out what it's turning at. 1st gear on mine is damn near stopped, 2nd is pokin' along and 3rd is disappoitingly slow. ;)

aw20536
06-08-2005, 09:51 AM
This machine is fast and because of it's length/weight you will get a work out and also get your heart rate up if you mow in third gear.

I guess I need to take mine to the dealer to find out what it's turning at. 1st gear on mine is damn near stopped, 2nd is pokin' along and 3rd is disappoitingly slow. ;)

Try adjusting the drive cable to add more tension, maybe the drive belt is slipping abit.

z_clark
06-08-2005, 02:02 PM
We have been mulching with our new 26". No mulch kit, just leaving the bag guard down. Power is plenty, mulching is good (not great).

Two gripes about the metro 26" is it's slow ground speed, and the length of the machine. Even in third it seems too slow. Of course we are all comparing these to the proline 21". The length makes turning seem like you are walking a mile to complete the circumference due to the larger radius (longer handle).

My guys still think it is a winner though. It does save time on the right yards, but not on all of them.

More later, once we get some more hours on it.