PDA

View Full Version : Work we're proud of, part 1

dave78981
05-31-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm going to post some pics up here of some jobs my company has done this year. Comments are appreciated!

stevo22
06-01-2005, 02:19 AM
just my suggestion...i would have tried to talk the homeowner into spending more money on bigger, more mature plants, and more plants period...with that size house and lot the new plantings almost get lost b/c of the size of the house...should look decent in about 5 yrs..the job looks nice and clean though...

cgland
06-02-2005, 11:24 PM
DITTO!

Chris

Green Pastures
06-03-2005, 12:28 AM
just my suggestion...i would have tried to talk the homeowner into spending more money on bigger, more mature plants, and more plants period...with that size house and lot the new plantings almost get lost b/c of the size of the house...should look decent in about 5 yrs..the job looks nice and clean though...

I completely disagree.

I'd rather have it look a bit sparse now and in 5 years be perfect and uncrowded.

Fill in the empty spaces now with annuals.

dvmcmrhp52
06-03-2005, 12:31 AM
I completely disagree.

I'd rather have it look a bit sparse now and in 5 years be perfect and uncrowded.

Fill in the empty spaces now with annuals.

Yes.
Too many times a landscaper goes in and 3 years later it's tough to find the bed.

sheshovel
06-03-2005, 02:34 AM
I disagree with your disagreements here.
.With a home of this size and scale,you need to plant so the garden WILL be in scale with the home when mature
,Nothing I saw planted there will do that.
Also with a home like this,a good design will have large swaths of the same kinds of plants,with a few nice shade trees farther out in the lawn.
I saw spotty here and there plantings of many kinds,no real rhyme or reason when it comes to what it will look like as you say in five years.
Also it is VERY FLAT,
creating mounds and different levels to the landscape adds visual interest and form to a garden.Also the use of some natural elements like large boulders in groupings help bring the scale of the house down to the garden and add visual interest as well as the option of creating focal points around them.
Plants ALWAYS look best when planted in groupings of 5-7-9 or 11 of the same kind.And in swaths of 11 or more This is very important to remember when planting a formal garden as this formal house requires.
I'm not bashing you,but remember these things when landscaping..Environment(house size and surroundings)Balance,Scale,and Harmony
and these things..Continuous bloom (some plants should always be blooming or coming into bloom as others go out.. thru spring,summer and fall,color,
visual interest,and look out from the inside before doing a design.I plant plants purposely facing different ways so they can be enjoyed from all angles.Find plants that work plant in groups then repeat,repeat repeat throughout.

dave78981
06-03-2005, 07:29 PM
All comments are appreciated, but I guess I should have told you guys some of the background of this project. First of all, the owner is a builder and thus is used to "contractor housefronts", ie reluctant to spend too much. When I originally estimated the project, it had twice as many plants, and all were ten gallon and over. He nixed that pretty quickly; he cut it down to half of what you see in the pictures, we came back with the estimate that became what you see. As far as plant selection, I agree with you, Sheshovel, swaths of similar plants is what I had origanlly planned for, with an overall wider selection of plants. However, here again we were thrawted by the homeowner, mostly because of the issue of deer. So we were limited to only "deer resistant" plantings. As far as the area looking extremely flat, I think that's a camera thing, becasue it looks much better in person, but only relying on the pictures, it does look really flat.

I really appreciate every comment because I view everything as a learning experience, especially criticism. I 'll post more pictures of a few other jobs I've done- I'm curious what you guys have to say about them!

Dave
Rosewood Landscaping

dvmcmrhp52
06-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Good attitude.
Keep that thought process going and you'll do well.

sheshovel
06-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Know how that feels Dave,it's a bummer when somebody will put that much $$$ into a big formal house,and then be a skinflint when it comes to the landscaping that..to me anyway.."Makes the House".The landscape is the 1st impression in and last one out the door.
I feel it's sad when clients decide these things for themselves,but believe me when somebody asks them why..it will be your reputation that suffers because they will be too embarrased to admit they were too cheap to put out the money neccesary to do the house justice.They will blame it on the landscaper.
That's why I hesitate to put my name on a landscape that the client dictates by pinching pennies.
When your doing real well and putting your work out there for all to see ,your building a reputation too and sometimes you gotta fight for your design ideas .
If they won't compromise you have to decide weather your reputation is worth taking on the job at all.
I say things like this..
"So youv'e built this gorgeous million dollar home and now it's time to ruin the look?"
"Remember your property value will increase alot with this plan,think of it as an investment" :blob3:
"You will triple the money you don't want to spend now in cooling bills alone if we plant these tree's now."
"What will this cheap landscape say to others about your home ?House poor is what it will say to them".I just don't think this works" :p
And if all else fails I say"OK then how bout investing the money in the bones and background of the garden with some really nice things,then fill in as you can afford it?" :D
And last but not least
"Well I'm very sorry but I just don't want to put my time and effort into a project that is not up to my standards,I'm sure you understand".I don't think this will do justice to your home,and I do have a reputation to uphold,mabey you would be better off with someone cheaper".Goodby. :cool2: Sheshovel

sheshovel
06-04-2005, 01:50 AM
And with the last comment they say "Oh nonnooono that's not what I ment,let's see if we can work this out!I want you to do it!....hehhehheh

South Florida Lawns
06-04-2005, 08:57 PM
The landscaping looks great though, nice job just kinda puny sized plants.

korelandscaping
06-23-2005, 02:26 AM
Sheshovel...wow I think the same way you do! My only problem is I tend to have the same design concepts on my installs. The good thing about it is, I literally can price out a landscape job with 30 different shrubs and know how much each shrub cost me. I can't stand flipping though a wholesale catalog for an hour.

LawnBoy89
06-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Very nice work. Did you use a bed edger?

BigChaz
06-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes.
Too many times a landscaper goes in and 3 years later it's tough to find the bed.

Exactly

I just did a job for a lady and tore up a few hundred dollars worth of plants that were completely crowding out the nice backbone plantings.

Looks like the last landscaper figured he would fill shrubs in around the nice trees and lo and behold two years later it looks like crap