PDA

View Full Version : 21" proline problem

LawnBrother
05-31-2005, 09:15 PM
My 21" Toro Proline Suzuki has a problem. It seems like the blade is slowing down, and not cutting properly (it's missing blades of grass). The engine speed stays the same, it doesn't sound like it's bogging down, but it definitely sounds like the blade slows down while cutting, then speeds up again when not cutting. This is a completely new phenomenon. The grass I am cutting is normal height, and I am not overloading the machine in any way, and the blades are sharp. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot, any opinions are very much appreciated.

ACE
05-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Maybe its wearing out. Check the compression. I'm only guessing, good luck.

ITL
05-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Is it a Blade Brake Clutch or Zone Start. If BBC the belt could need replaced frome wear and or tension on belt could be off adjustment. This can permit the engine to run correct speed but allow the blades to slow down.

Wayne

grassmanvt
05-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Is it a Blade Brake Clutch or Zone Start. If BBC the belt could need replaced frome wear and or tension on belt could be off adjustment. This can permit the engine to run correct speed but allow the blades to slow down.

Wayne

I had a deere (a few actually) that would do this when the blade clutch was going.

txlawnking
05-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Lawnbrother, obviously you've got a bbc model, as there would be no way for a direct drive machine to act as you are describing. On our Honda's the clutch would do this if it was really toasted..

It shouldn't be too bad to fix, just sounds like you need a new bbc clutch. I havent repaired one of the Toro's, but on the Honda's, you can replace just the clutch disc, and just hit the pressure plate with some 120 grit and you be back in biz.. :cool:

BTW, engaging/disengaging the clutch at lower engine rpm's will greatly extend the life of the clutch..

Oldtimer
06-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Go to toro.com and look up your mower parts. You will have to change the belt and possibly one pulley. Every time you sharpen the blade remove the bbc cover to keep the bbc clean.

Oldtimer

dutch1
06-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Check for grass buildup behind blade engagement arm inside bbc cover.

LawnBrother
07-28-2005, 09:12 AM
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to let everyone know what the problem was. It turned out that the blade engagement belt was worn and needed to be replaced. I replaced it not long after I started this thread and I have had no problems since. Thanks everyone for your replies on this thread and the other one I posted about the same problem, they were very helpful!