PDA

View Full Version : Zoysia (again)

burns60
06-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Anyone do zoysia without bagging it? Does it damage zoysia to not bag it? Would you discharge it or mulch?

rlpenny
06-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Anyone do zoysia without bagging it? Does it damage zoysia to not bag it? Would you discharge it or mulch?I'm no LCO (what does LCO mean), just a homeowner with a decent size patch of zoysia. I mulch it with no problems to the grass but I must admit that even though it grows slower than the bermuda which is slower than the fescue, that zoysia is so thick it even lugs my 2 stroke (Tecumseh 840XL) Ariens 21 mower and will leave more than a trail of grass along the right side. Seems the zoysia is so thick that it litterally rubs against the middle part of the blade attachment enough to slow it down. I followup my mowing with a backpack blower ShinEB630 to evenly distribute the occasional mulch clipping rows in the thick turf areas.

Hope this helps.

Lawnaholic
06-01-2005, 02:25 AM
I'm no LCO (what does LCO mean), just a homeowner with a decent size patch of zoysia. I mulch it with no problems to the grass but I must admit that even though it grows slower than the bermuda which is slower than the fescue, that zoysia is so thick it even lugs my 2 stroke (Tecumseh 840XL) Ariens 21 mower and will leave more than a trail of grass along the right side. Seems the zoysia is so thick that it litterally rubs against the middle part of the blade attachment enough to slow it down. I followup my mowing with a backpack blower ShinEB630 to evenly distribute the occasional mulch clipping rows in the thick turf areas.

Hope this helps.
rlpenny, LCO: Lawn Company...

Tider6972
06-01-2005, 02:35 AM
I mulch Zoysia. You have to have <i>sharp</i> blades, and stay in control of it (should be cut at I 1/4" to 1 1/2" ). During heavy growth periods, be prepared to cut it every 4 days or so!

SWD
06-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes, you can side discharge, mulch or bag Zoysia.
The only difference in being your fertilization program.
Most varieties of Zoysiagrass are heavy thatch producers so cultural management is extremely important.
Verti-cutting and aerification are two important management methods, as well as proper fertilization.
The easiest way to taylor a program for your area is to find out if a golf course near where you are has Zoysia and talk to the Superintendent

65hoss
06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
I've mulched or sidedischarged my own zoysia and for customers for 15+ years. Never a problem.
I disagree with talking with golf course supers...they know all about grass, but they know it only for the heavily maintained course. The soil structures and growing patterns in a golf course is completely different than a home lawn.

I would find someone with a sod farm or someone with real world home install and maintenance experience. Not someone that just cuts grass or someone that just installs. Both can and will only know what they "heard" from others. You are looking for someone with a real understanding of the soil structures in your area, a scientific understanding of the grasses and soil inputs. Someone that has an understanding of the soil will get you much more useful info.

What part of n. Mississippi are you in?

burns60
06-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks for all the info on Zoysia.

65Hoss I live in Columbus. Have a few yards that are too far out but can't seem to "replace" them. (I have a hard time saying "no") Only one Zoysia, but customer wants it bagged. He pays well, I just would like to be able to mulch it, I would even pass the savings on to him.

65hoss
06-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Mississippi St. probably has some really good info about mulching and the benefits. You could find a copy and give to him.

yardmonkey
06-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I have just one tiny patch of zoysia in a yard that I have been mowing weekly for about 4 years. I always mulch-mow. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I do have one problem with this zoysia patch, though. It is on the same irrigation zone as some fescue and some flower beds and it gets way over-watered. Zoysia needs even less water and fertilizer than bermuda. The grass is doing OK, but it gets infested with Oxalis corniculata (creeping woodsorrel), a very pesky weed. The zoysia is thick enough to keep out most weeds and I doubt there would be a problem with the oxalis if the watering could be reduced. I would suggest try mulching and see if it looks OK to you and the customer. (I would assume that discharging would not look too good on it). You always read that zoysia is especially prone to thatch. But thatch is not the same as a buildup of organic matter. It is probably more due to overuse of strong fertilizers.

burns60
06-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Mississippi St. probably has some really good info about mulching and the benefits. You could find a copy and give to him.
65hoss, very good idea. I will pursure some info from MSU and let him look it over. Thanks