PDA

View Full Version : Dead grass tire tracks? Please advise

cochino12
06-01-2005, 01:18 AM
I got a call from a customer today who said we rolled our mower over the rocks that he just had sprayed with weed killer. I went to look at the property and sure enough there are tracks from the tires of my mower (32" exmark) over the entire back yard!!!! If I rolled my mower over the rocks it was only a small 1'-2' section that i could not avoid to get to the back yard. I was not told he had his rocks sprayed, and i cant imagine weed killer staying on the tires while I mowed the ENTIRE back yard? It was pretty warm (for Colorado) about 90 degrees, could that be why the grass turned brown? any advise for getting the color back? thanks in advance

easycareacres
06-01-2005, 04:02 AM
I would personaly tell him to stick up dohnut up ones funnel.
He sprayed just before you mowed.
If was dry would have been no prob.

Shady Brook
06-01-2005, 06:44 AM
1. Ask the man what he put down chemical wise.
2. Is it dry there, are the lawns stressed? I would bet the lawn is dry and you just damaged the grass where your tires were. I would highly doubt you could pick up enough chemical, provided the chemical was designed to kill grass, to damage that much of a lawn. Tell the owner to water more.

alwaysgreener
06-01-2005, 07:03 AM
These stripes result from mowing when the plant is entering the early stages of drought stress. The wheels,mower housing, blade, and/or feet apparently destroy the integrity of the leaves and thus even when the area is watered, the leaves will not green-up. The plant will regrow from the crown given four weeks or more with regular irrigation or rainfall and the stripes should disappear.

Green Pastures
06-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Sounds more like drought stress to me.

Tell him to water.