PDA

View Full Version : DIY to Professional...Retaining wall

mad_wrestler
06-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey there. I have a customer that wants me to complete his weekend project. He is putting limestone bricks around his flower beds. They are
7 in. X 8 in. X 4 in. He wants them stacked two high. Do you charge this per linear feet? How much? Someone told me to charge what materials cost for labor. That can bite ya in the butt though right? The beds are in place except one around a tree that he wants me to make.
Also, when putting the stones down, do you put leveling sand down or just use the pre-existing dirt. Any tips for this job would be appreciated. I will have more numbers by this afternoon (i.e. linear feet of project).

Toy2
06-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Not sure what type you are using, i have put Winsor stone down for tree rings, the digging and laying of the sand are important....I just put down some Old Castle stones yesterday....the digging was the PITA, wet clay...leveling sand and then stones.....I charge by the hour, I figure out how long it will take, add a couple of hours extra.....just in case you run out of something...plus your delivery charge....stuff is to heavy for my Toyota...first couple of jobs I had HD deliver, $65.00 plus had to wait on them...this time, paid a buddy $50.00 to deliver using his 1 ton....plus he helped me put it close to the house...HD drops it in the street.....good luck...