PDA

View Full Version : Focus For Straight Cut

JOEWOOD
06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/EYW/EYW219/e009835.jpg

While mowing with what-ever machine, what do you guys' concentrate on for the straightest possible Path Of Cut?

Joe... :confused:

JOEWOOD
06-01-2005, 01:31 PM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/csk/CSK131/KS3976.jpg

Excellent question JOEWOOD, I focus on a small object at the furthest point of the yard i'm mowing. A perfect focus is even more important while striping.

Joe

KathysLGC
06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I focus on the tracking of the mower first. If the mower can go straight your half way there. Once you line up your mower to the path let it go and adjust as needed. You first straight pass is the most important.

turfmgr
06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
now i see why so many people on here don't do a good job. you don't start in the middle of a yard with your stripes and focus on a point and just go towards it. start your lines at the edge of the yard (shortest point of travel), make a stripe there and begin working your way across the yard, trust me on this. try my technique and i guarantee your lines will be straighter and you will actually mow the yard faster!

also, meant to say that you are not going to be using the shortest lines possible, as you get further into the yard, your lines will get longer, eventually shortening back up at the other side. (diagonal cuts)

JOEWOOD
06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I focus on the tracking of the mower first. If the mower can go straight your half way there. Once you line up your mower to the path let it go and adjust as needed. You first straight pass is the most important.

This would work fairly well with a Perfectly Level Terrain, realisticly speaking you gotta focus on Hilly Ground.

Joe... :waving:

ztoro
06-01-2005, 02:29 PM
i ussually cut the yard in half as well... from there you can correct for straightness on either side if you need be...

Drew Gemma
06-01-2005, 02:34 PM
starting in the middle is the way to go then you reduce ruts by alwasy starting on the edges. At the course we always start in the middle. Make ther first one really straight then as you go if you mess up you can't see it. When you start at one end you tend to make a mistake and carry it all the way through the yard.

KathysLGC
06-01-2005, 02:44 PM

This would work fairly well with a Perfectly Level Terrain, realisticly speaking you gotta focus on Hilly Ground.

Joe... :waving:
Hills won't affect your line too much if both wheels go over it at the same time. To me, it's the small ditches thats sometimes throw me off be it's easy to correct if you know the layout of the lawn. All in all you need to have very good tracking from your mower to keep a line straight. I've seen many people with squiggly lines. All I can think about is them on the controls too much.
I have my share of hills but with a hydro it doesn't throw you off as much as one would think. At least it doesn't for me.

mbricker
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, Joe, as far as the picture on your original post, it is true that some things are much straighter with the right focus!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KathysLGC
06-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Well, Joe, as far as the picture on your original post, it is true that some things are much straighter with the right focus!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. that would be one line easy to follow!

JOEWOOD
06-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, Joe, as far as the picture on your original post, it is true that some things are much straighter with the right focus!!!

I thought that picture would keep you on the straight and narrow!...LOL

Joe... :blob3:

Steppenwolf
06-01-2005, 07:14 PM
you don't start in the middle of a yard with your stripes and focus on a point and just go towards it. start your lines at the edge of the yard (shortest point of travel), make a stripe there and begin working your way across the yard, trust me on this.
You are 100% correct on that. Just line up with the drive,street,house or whatever and start at the corner. If you can't make a straight line with a hard edge to follow........don't know what to tell ya,going down the middle of a yard and hoping for a straight line and having to try to correct the striping seems like alot of extra work.

turfmgr
06-02-2005, 01:21 PM
you don't start in the middle of a yard with your stripes and focus on a point and just go towards it. start your lines at the edge of the yard (shortest point of travel), make a stripe there and begin working your way across the yard, trust me on this.
You are 100% correct on that. Just line up with the drive,street,house or whatever and start at the corner. If you can't make a straight line with a hard edge to follow........don't know what to tell ya,going down the middle of a yard and hoping for a straight line and having to try to correct the striping seems like alot of extra work.

thank you, not only do you have a good name, but you know what you're talking about. plus when you get done with that half of the yard, you have to make your way back around to the other side, taking time away from running the blades, and running the blades makes the money.... also, when you cut the yard in half you are going to be throwing the grass back at the other side and that center stripe will have a noticable amount on top that you will have to go back and either mow out or blow off. i'm right!!!

lawnrangeralaska
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
thats why you own a walker. so you can start anywhere when mowing.

Steppenwolf
06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I won't say I am right but find it to be the best way to start at the beginning and finish at the end rather than start at the middle and work to the beginning and then go back and work to the end. For those who start in the middle,if it works for ya,go for it,if you have Walker and can start anywhere,go for it. What ever floats your boat.Butt with the original post and picture I would most likely end up with two half moon stripes............. in opposite directions.

Green Quality
06-03-2005, 12:15 AM
There is a lot to be said, and learned from making a straight line.Even in life.when looking froward set your goal.when moving forward toward your goal,never look back!!! Just like The Kingdom OF Heaven set your eyes and heart upon,and don't look back! JUST GO!