PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions please!

vanguard
06-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey Folks,
Need some advice on what type of equipment would work best for my situation ?
I've found myself doing alot of "getto mowing" for a local property manager and don't want to use my "finish cut" mower to cut 2+ foot high weeds with vodka bottles hiding in it to get the job done. Most are 5500 sq. ft. lots or larger and I have been using a old 20" push mower that I picked-up for $10 but this is not proven to be time effective :dizzy:
I'm thinking about picking-up a garden tractor to speed up these "crack house cuts" any suggestions???? :help:
Thanks!

Itsgottobegreen
06-01-2005, 01:05 PM
A small walkbehind brush hog. There are a bunch of companies that make them.

mbricker
06-01-2005, 04:07 PM
Perhaps you only take those jobs because that particular property manager also gives you a lot of good quality work.

Regardless, one question you should ask yourself: Which will be more expensive for me? $300 damage to my $5000 mower, or $300 damage to my $600 mower? What I mean is, if you hit a 2 x 4 in the weeds and it trashes a spindle on either your first line equipment, or your second rate equipment, isn't the bill going to be something you will wish you had avoided, by refusing that particular job?

And maybe a second question you could ask yourself, if that property manager is only giving you cr@p jobs, but the good stuff goes to another LCO: Does this guy really have any right to expect me to screw up my livelihood by ruining my equipment mowing his dumps?

Respect yourself, before you can expect someone else to respect you.

ztoro
06-01-2005, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=mbricker]And maybe a second question you could ask yourself, if that property manager is only giving you cr@p jobs, but the good stuff goes to another LCO: [QUOTE]

Good stuff and Ghetto .... rarley ever see those used together.....

vanguard
06-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Ok, cr@p or not this is/was a question about equipment not about the property manager or if I feel like he's giving me trash jobs. money talks and b.s. walks and this company has given me some good paying weekly gigs as well, and they always pay there bill on time. payup So other then a brush hog, any thoughts about the garden tractor idea?

Todd's lawncare
06-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Ok, cr@p or not this is/was a question about equipment not about the property manager or if I feel like he's giving me trash jobs. money talks and b.s. walks and this company has given me some good paying weekly gigs as well, and they always pay there bill on time. payup So other then a brush hog, any thoughts about the garden tractor idea?
I have the same deal but its not ghetto its one 5 acre lot but alot of thing in it . I asked the same thing and i have pick up to riders for 100 bucks each and haven't used one of them yet but it works fine just run it as high as you can . And you can always find a cheap rider some where i can get them all day long . Buy a rider knock it out make the money .

SOMM
06-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Jiminee crickets friend, this ppty-mgr got your outfit booked mowing 2-3 days a week of just his-stops in addition to your other clients - and you also need more time to catch up on backlogged landscape projects ????

If so - like in your avitar, you need an old 14-16 hp v-twin ohv/belt-drive-powered textron bobcat wb for about $875-$1150, with amber-silicone injected tires (go to an industrial tire dealer to get this done for about $15-20 per tire), with an extra set of blades for around $65.

Trade out the better blades for your finish cuts (you can install them right on your trailer in 15 mins with a jack-stand, and socket and wrench), and let the scarred/marred blades remain for the trash cuts.

Always canvas your grounds to prevent liability, in this highly litigious society we all operate in. It's not the eye that goes out - but probably the cracked glass of the Escalade next door that will actually be the event that costs you bigtime.

GreenUtah
06-02-2005, 12:04 PM
I doubt it matters the style or brand of the mower that you use for this sort of work, just get it wide and get it down with something that can run reliably for short work like this. Get it as cheap as you can and like SOMM said, make sure you're not launching anything. walkbehind, lawn tractor, sickle bar, it doesn't matter. You're just trying to reduce your labor and improve efficiency on a repeating job. Even though you are looking for something cheap and wide, make sure you don't get roped into someone else's money pit! look around, you'll find something you don't mind banging through there.

vanguard
06-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys! lots of good ideas. :waving: