PDA

View Full Version : Piranha Mower

Jastek
06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a Prianha 36" or 48" WB made by Green Touch?

I bought a 36" model because of the price ($1800). The only real probelm I have is with the cut quality. The mulch kit only consists of a discharge plate. There is not enough room for center baffels since there is only about 1/2" space between the blades. After I cut, it looks like I used a bush hog (grass everywhere).

The mower has a Kawasaki 15HP engine and decent trans, but the mulching capability is not very good.

It has caster spacers and blade spacers - caster now is set at 3 bottom, 2 top - blade is set at 2 top, 2 bottom. (2 1/2" cut)

The blades do not look very mulching frendly, but I don't know for sure. They have a very steep pitch on the fin.

Any suggestions on how to improve the cut quality?

The dealer is not much help. He says that "no mower is going to mulch well until after fathers day when the grass is not as thick". If I can't get a better quality cut, I am going to return it. I am sure he will have more to say then.

Thanks.

lwcmattlifter
06-01-2005, 04:36 PM
You might want to try using gator blades or doubles. What type and how tall is the grass you're cutting? My Exmarks mulch great as long as the grass is not ridiculously high.

mbricker
06-01-2005, 04:49 PM
I am curious if there is a "real" mulch kit available for this mower.

You say there is not room between the blades for individual baffles around each blade. But every commercial multi- blade deck I know of that mulches well, does it with circular baffles around each blade. And there is a lot less than 1/2" between blades under most decks.

I do not think any multi-blade deck will really mulch well with only a discharge cover. The only exception I know of is the Troy-Bilt (also sold as CubCadet) 33" walk-behind, which is NOT commercial quality, although I and some others have used them commercially. The Troy blades actually overlap, and have to be timed at 90 degrees by a toothed timing belt, in combination with a deck design that really does not give an outstanding cut whether mulching, bagging, or discharging.

I would like to hear other opinions on mulching without baffles surrounding each blade.

Jastek
06-01-2005, 05:52 PM
There is a mulch kit available, if you can call it that. It is a flat steel plate with 2 L shaped brackets. It just covers the discharge. I made one myself out of stainless, which is better than the manufacturer-made plate.

There is actually only about 1/2" between the blades. I tried to make curved baffel to mount between the blades, but there is just not enough room.

I will take a picture and post it.

Jastek
06-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Attached are photos:

ztoro
06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
get some gator blades... those look like high lift blades..... GAtors should help some

MercyMe
06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Try the Red Hawk mowers. Same kind of money but the quality of cut is excellent. Better dealer and warranty support as well. The Red Hawk mowers seem to get really decent reviews here on LS.

I would compare the cut to that of an ExMark or Scag anyday.

www.redhawk-usa.com

beaver
06-02-2005, 07:28 PM
that is the same machine as a redhawk. Look closely. Somone I know has one and seems pleased with it.

Mark McC
06-02-2005, 08:01 PM
I am not mulching just yet myself. Are you sure you don't want to just discharge for now?

TClawn
06-02-2005, 09:08 PM
that deck was not designed for mulching. if it was, it would let you take those baffles that don't let the grass go back into the chamber to be recut. imo, you will NEVER get good mulching out of that as long as those pieces of metal are there. you could always cut them out. I did that to my honda 21" and it greatly improved the mulching, granted it was not a two blade mower, but still, it did the job.

Jpocket
06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
get some gator blades... those look like high lift blades..... GAtors should help some

Yea... In order to MULCH you need MULCHING BLADES, you'll never really do a nice job mulching until you get some mulching blades

MercyMe
06-02-2005, 10:00 PM
that is the same machine as a redhawk. Look closely. Somone I know has one and seems pleased with it.

It is NOT the same machine as the Red Hawk. The Red Hawk is built for Havener Enterprises out of IL. and does a much better job of cutting.

Jastek
06-03-2005, 08:56 AM
I looked at the Red Hawk, but the dealer only had a 32", so I went with this one. They are basically the same machine, except the Red Hawk might not have those L shaped baffels.

The dealer is going to swap out my blades for Gators and I am going to to try to fabricate some curved baffels for the front of the deck and see if that does any good.