PDA

View Full Version : Great side service during hurricane season

Scapegoat
06-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi all, first post. Recently discovered the site and really enjoy it!

I don't know if anyone already does this, but a great side service in hurricane prone areas is putting up and/or removing hurricane shutters for those that are unable to or out of town.

Just today as an example I got a word of mouth referral and a gentleman in Michigan who owns a home on the island here in FL wants me to install his hurricane shutters, except for the front along the street for appearance. Then put those up if need be once a hurricane warning is announced.

It's nice to have some customers lined up ahead of time and if you charge a fair rate for the service, it goes a long way towards your own PR, as many people really charge extremely high rates for this when a hurricane just appears to be heading in our direction. Especially sticking it to the elderly here in FL.

Just a thought. :)

A+ Lawncare
06-01-2005, 06:13 PM
how and what do you charge for this service?

gatormowing
06-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I did it for a property management company before Hurricane Charley last year. They paid $250.00 per home for their vacant properties. Took 2 hours to install and about an hour to remove. Wet and windy work but worth it.

mowerman90
06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
And when their house blows away anyway, they'll claim you installed them wrong and try to sue you. No thanks. My wife has enough trouble getting me to install ours!!!

DennisF
06-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Better check with your county on the construction codes and license requirements for installing hurricane shutters.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble here...but don't perform services that you are not licensed and insured to perform. You could be putting yourself in a trick bag and be leaving yourself exposed to all kinds of liability.

Just a thought.

Scapegoat
06-01-2005, 07:30 PM
how and what do you charge for this service?

Well, that varies widely, depending upon the size of the home, how many windows, if it's one or two story, etc...

Normally, I just figure it on a per hour basis like I would any other special task, being it's only manual labor involved and very simple to do.

I find that when you provide this service (at a fair price, that is), people think of you as someone that is looking out for them or their home/investment and this has lead to them asking me to perform additional needed services (ie. gutter cleaning, etc) which I happily do. :)

Scapegoat
06-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Better check with your county on the construction codes and license requirements for installing hurricane shutters.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble here...but don't perform services that you are not licensed and insured to perform. You could be putting yourself in a trick bag and be leaving yourself exposed to all kinds of liability.

Just a thought.

Excellent point. I'm not installing the actually tracks or fixtures onto the house itself. I'm simply taking the aluminum shutters from the garage and putting them up via the existing upper and lower tracks and bottom wingnut, as any homeowner would do.

While I haven't checked to see if there is a special license needed for this, I wouldn't think so. But if you know something I don't, please let me know!

I will also check into it to be sure. Thanks.

gl1200a
06-01-2005, 08:36 PM
There's a multitude of services you could provide for owners in abstentia whether they be parttime residents and have the residences locked up while they are northerners or ones that have the property and rent them out to vacationers. Where our home is on Marco Island you could do anything that would require maintenance...shutters, security checks, pools, check for running outside water left on or broken, broken windows, dock & boat checks, palm tree watering... you name it.

But, I would also get in touch with the rental agencies in the area that take care of renting the locations out for the pproperty owners. They are the ones that would also line up the maintenance and repair in most cases.

LightningLawns
06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Hey scapegoat what island in florida are you at?

Scapegoat
06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Hey scapegoat what island in florida are you at?

I'm talking about the barrier islands off Vero. "John's Island", "Orchid Island", etc.

LightningLawns
06-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Yea you should advertise that you will do that type of work, I bet you can make a lot of money over there.

DennisF
06-01-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm talking about the barrier islands off Vero. "John's Island", "Orchid Island", etc.

Scapegoat

That area of Vero is a great place to work. Lots of high income residents that are more than willing to pay a premium for quality work. Especially Orchid Island. Oh... and did I say...Especially Orchid Island. There are some big money people that live on that strip of sand!

My Father-in-law lived in Vero for 10 years until he passed away and he knew some very wealthy people on Orchid. They love quality lawn and shrub work so....hit that area hard with advertising. But remember...there are some really good LCO's over there that you'll be up against.

Good luck!!

Scapegoat
06-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Scapegoat

That area of Vero is a great place to work. Lots of high income residents that are more than willing to pay a premium for quality work. Especially Orchid Island. Oh... and did I say...Especially Orchid Island. There are some big money people that live on that strip of sand!

My Father-in-law lived in Vero for 10 years until he passed away and he knew some very wealthy people on Orchid. They love quality lawn and shrub work so....hit that area hard with advertising. But remember...there are some really good LCO's over there that you'll be up against.

Good luck!!

I appreciate that advice! I have no desire to take over any LCO work on the island. Check out my post here to get an idea of what I do:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=109230

Only work I do on the island is design / install. The above post gives you an idea of what I do. However, I wouldn't mind picking your brain a bit as you have lots of LCO experience and I need lawn experience.

Thanks!

Scapegoat
06-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Yea you should advertise that you will do that type of work, I bet you can make a lot of money over there.

I would like to pick your brain too about local Florida lawn care. Check out this link for my story. I really need a mower.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=109230