PDA

View Full Version : Oil on the dipstick

Shawns Lawns
06-01-2005, 08:38 PM
How do you guys tell how much oil you have i changed mine and the oil is so clean that i have a hard time telling where it is on the dipstick? When its dirty it is not a problem but i like to check mine daily and i have a hard time to see it on the shiny metal. Any ideas??? :waving:

BigChaz
06-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Hold it on its side and turn it in the light and you should see a differant glare where the oil level ends.

Make sure you run the engine first and measure on level ground

Tharrell
06-01-2005, 09:02 PM
It would help to have a flat black dipstick wouldn't it? I changed mine yesterday and had the same problem.

mkwl
06-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Hold it on its side and turn it in the light and you should see a differant glare where the oil level ends.

That's what I do, works well.

topsites
06-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Make sure you run the engine first and measure on level ground

erm... I check mine after the engine has been sitting, overnight is awesome. I never run it first if I'm just checking oil level.

jpp
06-01-2005, 10:15 PM
How do you guys tell how much oil you have i changed mine and the oil is so clean that i have a hard time telling where it is on the dipstick? When its dirty it is not a problem but i like to check mine daily and i have a hard time to see it on the shiny metal. Any ideas??? :waving:

The best time to check the oil imo is when the engine is cold. That way you don't have the oil hot and up the dipstick. That will give you an inaccurate reading. Also as mentioned make sure it is on a level surface and sort of put it at an angle in the light to see where it is.

JP

BigChaz
06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
erm... I check mine after the engine has been sitting, overnight is awesome. I never run it first if I'm just checking oil level.

He said he just changed it, so usually I let it run to get it dispersed

Just checking it, yea doesnt matter much