PDA

View Full Version : how you guys doin with your sidework?

General Grounds
06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
:blob3: just curious to how on schedule you guys are with your sidework, trimming, mulch, etc. were a bit behind and thats having a landscape crew 5 days a week, we had 4 days of rain last week which really hurt, and this week i have the landscape guys helping out with the cutting just to get back on sch. so im gonna fall further behind, and it seems the people dont want to hear it.

topsites
06-01-2005, 09:04 PM
:blob3: just curious to how on schedule you guys are with your sidework, trimming, mulch, etc. were a bit behind and thats having a landscape crew 5 days a week, we had 4 days of rain last week which really hurt, and this week i have the landscape guys helping out with the cutting just to get back on sch. so im gonna fall further behind, and it seems the people dont want to hear it.

I feel ya. I'm a bit behind on mulch because grass-cutting is number one priority no matter what. Now we had 2 days of rain last week and then Monday was Mem.day and now rain again. I'm 1 day behind on grass-cutting, that is no big deal but I'm like you, hope it doesn't get much worse.

I've kept production at peak since 1.apr and would hate to raise it to record, but I guess if push comes to shove, then I could do that. Still, it's only a 10 percent increase and it really makes me sore.

There is a trick or cheat you can do to catch up but it has disadvantages. I did it once and am loathe to do it again. I'll tell you what it is but also give you the skinny on the bad, anyway here is:
- Lower the blades on all your mowers by 1/2 inch.
The good: You get caught up on grass-cutting FAST because you get more time between cuts... Usually, 2-3 days extra time/yard. Yeah, I mean if you're really bad off, this stupid trick RULES but:
The bad:
- ALL first cuts take longer because your blades have more grass to deal with (an extra 1/2 inch of it), thick yards are the worst.
- You better be extra careful, your mowers will scalp easier AND may no longer clear the obstacles they cleared before (roots, et al.)
- It CAN turn grass yellow in case of sudden drought or heat. Yup, even if it only doesn't rain for 2 weeks, better watch out.
- If you forget later on to raise them again, the only way you will remember that you lowered them is several weeks into a good budget deficit, all the while wondering why in the hell the grass ain't growing or something to that effect. Once you figure it out, you will likely curse me for telling you to do it.

It's definitely iffy, I might do it in a pinch but am just as ready to lose a mulch customer over the entire issue if it came down to that.

Guess this gives me some time to design a site... Anyone know where I can get really cool, free templates without the usual 'template owner' marks?
Peace

Precision
06-01-2005, 09:19 PM
If I was going to change the blade height to try to catch up, I would raise the blade by 1/2 inch. That way you have less to cut off and can go thru the lawns quicker.

If you are just trying to catch up, then saving a little time on each yard is where you will get back on schedule. Then once on schedule fight to stay there. Or you could always bring in additional (day labor) help. Especially for the mulching.

Mowing lower as you are suggesting to make your schedule longer? That doesn't work. The grass adapts to the new height and you still have the same amount to cut off next time.

jeffex
06-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm on top of my game right now. We pressure wash and mow. We are up to date and on schedule. Just barely enough rain each week to keep cuts weekly and not so much as to reschedule staining decks. weather makes the difference for us city farmers. SWEET!

tinman
06-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Behind with mowing because of the rain. We do Pressure Washing also. Should have done some of that today, but it was raining , windy & nasty outside. Stained my decks last week. Wasn't too bad. Going to try & push that service soon. Do you do much staing in the winter on warm enough days Jeff?

ProCare Lawn Service
06-01-2005, 11:26 PM
We are pretty far behind on the pruning and pinestrawing. Now that it has rained for the last 4 days we are going to be behind on mowing, so I don't know when we will be able to catch up on the other. May have to hire some part time employees.

jeffex
06-02-2005, 12:03 PM
I usually winterize my pressure washers at the end of october. Here is the website i'm working on http://jeffex11.tripod.com/deckdoctorpressurewashing/ :blob3:

jeffex
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Just finished my own deck this week

tinman
06-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Freaking nice Jeff. Top notch . Puts mine to shame.

jeffex
06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
been doing decks longer than mowing!! Paid all the dues and learned the hard way. Its amazing. we still have friends who we go out and socialize with and know what we do but they are still amazed when we turn their nasty dirty deck back into a show piece. seeing IS believing

jeffex
06-04-2005, 07:50 AM
suprized no one ragged me out for the crappy lawn in the background. My dogs are hell on my back yard. The brown spots are from the dogs because it has been dry the last week.