PDA

View Full Version : Rear Discharge Decks...Pros & Cons please.

Tonyr
06-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Hopefully there are members here who have seen or opperated or know something about Rear Discharge Decks, later model ones...

the 2 I'm mainly interested in feedback about is the John Deere 60'' rear discharge, and the new Hustler one, I realise being so new not many would of seen it in action, but just maybe someone has :)

I am interested in any other brands that really shine too.

so...please tell me what you know about these deck types, quality of cut, quality of finish i.e clipping dispersal, best on maintained turf, or best of rough areas mowing, do they clump, do they windrow, do they throw clippings etc up at you, dustier than side discharge etc, etc...

lwcmattlifter
06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
The Park Authority I used to work for had an older JD front mount rear discharge mower and new 3 deck batwing Toro groundmaster and Jacobson wide area mowers. The cut quality is poor compared to the new decks on todays Z-mowers.. The mowers don't disperse clippings well and don't grind the grass like a side discharge with baffles will. I think a lot of the problem was lack of vacuum. When the mowers cut they would blow the grass back so it only got cut once. Bottom line..the JD cut was bad, toro and jacobsen were better but not spectacular. I'm sure the decks have changed some but demo before you buy.

Runner
06-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro,....you gave the safety. Con,...they aren't good for a dog gone thing. You can't do anything with them. Forget windrowing if necessary. Forget using the mower for fall cleanup. Forget controlling where you want to put stuff.

Tider6972
06-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Tony, man I admire your persistence! But, the reality is, these are too new, too specialized, and few are in the field for you to get any hands-on feedback.

You want to cut tall grass and brush, and have no clumping and no stringers; and you want a manicured finish on fine lawns.

As a SuperZ operator with some seat time on a JD 757 7Iron deck, I can tell you the JD 7Iron will do the better job <i>side discharging</i>, but , like you and the rest, I don't have ANY clue if these rear discharge decks will behave like their side discharge brothers!

I think the 7Iron will have an advantage for 2 reasons: (1)it's deeper, and (2)the regular 7Irons simply do NOT "clog' or 'fill' with grass clippings - in other words, the 7Irons stay clean and clippings-free. So a deeper, cleaner deck, seems to me, will be able to better meet your requirements.

OTOH, Hustler would (in the states) be more likely to be more responsive to any problems you might encounter, and work with you on a one-on-one basis to solve them, IMO.

Decks aside, the Hustler is a better machine (IMO), but just marginally - these are two of the very finest mowers available, bar none !!

I'm betting you already know more than what I've offered, but I wanted to share my opinion, as I fully understand your dilema.

Wish you good fortune, mate, whatever you decide!

Tonyr
06-03-2005, 05:35 AM
thanks guys, appreciate your comments, and after seeing a toro rear discharge machine working today on roadside...lets just say, I am not as keen now! he he he

friday night...and I'm exhaused, have a great weekend mates! :waving: