PDA

View Full Version : Eating my words

whiteclifflawn
06-02-2005, 09:57 AM
I got a barely used toro 52" hydro about a while back, and I just though man this is the greatest thing every, I though it was better than my scags. Well about a month later now, and the cut is still great, but I have now used it on nearly all my accounts, and that things hydro drive system is the weakest I've ever used, you can't ride the sulkie up more than a slight incline, and it seems to jerky, I am just wondering is this just a toro. granted I am used to the power of my scag wb, its 21HP, and the toro is 17HP. but man, I have had other 17HP machines before and they always pulled just fine. I am seriously thinking of trading for a exmark 52" TTHP 19HP.

Green Pastures
06-02-2005, 09:59 AM
My Toro 52" has a 25 HP Kohler on it and pulls just fine.

I just don't think a 17HP motor is near enough for 42 inches of deck. Maybe for a W/B, not a rider.

whiteclifflawn
06-02-2005, 10:02 AM
It is a WB, 17HP 52" floating deck.

mownlow79
06-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I have had a 52" Toro WB hydro since 97. I have experienced the same problem you have but not till I had several hundred hours on it. To fix the problem I had, I simply changed the hydro oil and filter. I run Synthetic oil 15W-50 and it works great. Hope this helps.

Green Pastures
06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Lord, I can't read or type......

I still don't think a 17HP is enough for a 52" deck IF you want to ride a velke all day. On flat ground sure it'll work but you're taking power away from the deck to pull your weight around. On hills you might as well forget it. I dont think this is a problem with the Hydro pumps, I had a 44" belt drive with a velke and a 15 hp Kohler and I'm only 150 lbs, it would not pull me up a hill very far.

If I were to buy a hydro drive 52" W/B and I wanted to ride a velke all day I'd want at least 20 HP more if I could get it.

http://www.exmark.com/turftracer.htm

ztoro
06-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I had a 52 tthp with a 17 and road a Proslide all day long.. no problems.... Even up some hills.. I weigh about 175......

The 17 was plenty of power if you are walking.. When I cut at full speed on the proslide I had to slow down a little in the lush grass......

Jpocket
06-02-2005, 07:32 PM
You guys and the horsepower...I would get the hydro pumps checked out maybe they arent' full of fluid or somthing...the 17 should pull you up hills fine, it's just not gonna be as ballzy as say a 20 plus horse motor & you may have to double cut more

whiteclifflawn
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I bought it with 130 hrs, so I thought that wasn't hardly broke in. But it does already have the syth oil, and I use it in all my mowers both engine and hydro.

Precision
06-02-2005, 08:15 PM
my 36" has 15HP

2HP for 16 more inches. I think that is a big part of the problem.

I usually jump off at the base of the hill and jump on once the weight has transferred. That seemed to help.

TClawn
06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
I bought it with 130 hrs, so I thought that wasn't hardly broke in. But it does already have the syth oil, and I use it in all my mowers both engine and hydro.

I hope you not using 15w-50 in your engine, or even worse, not using 15w-50 in your hydro system (assuming your using hydro gear)

most of the wheel motors and hydro's that exmark and toro use MUST have mobil 1 15w-50 in them. most engine manufacturers recomend that you use nothing higher than 10w-30. if I were you, I would go back and check out the manufacterers specifications on what oil you should be using. if you put the wrong oil in your hydro's, they are shredded by now.

this is what they look like if you run streight sae 30 oil in a hydro gear pump.

Tharrell
06-03-2005, 06:37 AM
A belt drives those hydros from the engine. Why not check the belt and pulley for slack/wear?

YardPro
06-03-2005, 07:07 AM
also check the dump valves. you can make the hyrdo more/less aggressive with those.

PaulJ
06-03-2005, 09:29 AM
A belt drives those hydros from the engine. Why not check the belt and pulley for slack/wear?

Ditto that. some belt dressing might help. It's the first link in the system and the easiest to fix.

Runner
06-03-2005, 10:06 AM
LOL! Tharrell and YardPro's replies are exactly what I was thinking and was going to reply!

midlandlawncare
06-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't know what the problems are with ya'lls machines but, I use a 48" exmark , metro hp, pistol grip, 15 hp........ I'm 260lbs. the only thing that has ever failed on a slope with it is the traction between the ground and the tires, the only time it ever slips is if it is very wet, as it is a belt drive. :)

Tharrell
06-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Midland....
Dang! You're a big ole drink of water. I gotta tell you. If you and me were out fishing and you fell in, you'd just have to stay there! Seriously though, I'm a big guy too and I run a belt drive with Jungle Wheels. I know it's limitations and work around them.