PDA

View Full Version : Slope Mowing 101

MarcSmith
06-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Fun day to day. One of my guys decides to cut near the helipad with a scag tiger cub.

Helipad is on a raised plateu with landing lights around it. well he dicided to go on the outside of the landing lights the side with the 45* slope with a 20 foot drop and a retaining wall preventing him from a 10 foot drop on to the cars parked below.... see pics. Only thing damaged were the employees shorts

MarcSmith
06-02-2005, 02:44 PM
more pics

Very very lucky if the retaining wall had not been about 12 inches tall and toped with a 1/4" thick steel I Beam i think the mower and the employee would have been on the Blue Nissan below and the outcome would have been tragically different....At least a hospital is on site, but its doubtful one would have been needed

anothertractor
06-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Talk about a ride? Whew!!! I think a heart attack might have gotten me first.

Glenn J
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Damn! He was lucky he wasn't seriously hurt.

Tadams
06-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Does he still work for you or di he decide to end his career with you.

MMLawn
06-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I've got a prop with almost an identical slope. All I can say is thank goodness for PGR's!!

grass_cuttin_fool
06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Whew, I have a tiger cub also and I found out the 1st day I had it that theese mowers are not bull dozers but my slide was nothing like thaT , but I almost neeeded new shorts too, lmao

The Captain
06-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Who was thinking and about what ????? I do a dam face (down stream side) with alittle less than that 45 degree slope and use my wb across the face, not vertically. Even the wb scares me at times.

Jim

MarcSmith
06-02-2005, 03:57 PM
He was cutting at the top of the helipad on level ground...I don't know how he thought he'd be able to go around the landing light on the slope side of it, you might be able to get a 48"WB between the light and the slope, no way a 60" Scag gonna make it...He said the machine was stable all the way to the wall...he was not afraid of tipping over, well at least not until he got closer to the drop off.

Lawn Masters
06-02-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd have needed some clean pants after something like that. those are where I'd personally feel best with a large tractor outfitted with a boom mower on it. do the slope from the top, and never worry about footing.

MarcSmith
06-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Poor guy is gonna get a bunch of ribbing from the rest of the crew for a few days I'm sure....Better than any discipline I could hand out....

Tonyr
06-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Wow alright!

I do some wild terrain , but that is just scarey! that slope, why do they make stuff not mowable and plant grass/weeds on it?

So, how did yas clean it up....trimmers/brush cutters?

bet your employee had a few coldies that night night lol!

MarcSmith
06-03-2005, 07:38 AM
We have quite a few slopes we usually hit em twice a year, once in winter and once in summer. we go after them with string trimmers, machetes and brush cutters. I'm going to try some growth regulators this year I think.. Id love to use roundup..."fire and forget" but its not feasable...