PDA

View Full Version : Storage, which would you rather have?

LB Landscaping
06-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Got a predicament. I rent a decent shop right now. The size is right but it has no outside storage for things like bulk supplies (mulch,loam, sand etc). I have the opportunity to lease a half an acre for the same price, only issue is there is not "inside" storage. There is a fenced in area that I could use for equipment storage I would need to provide a "shelter" for whatever I wanted inside. There is enough land here to store anything I would need, plus a bobcat on site to load. So which would you rather have, inside storage with no outside availability or outside storage with limited inside storage???

The Captain
06-02-2005, 06:19 PM
What's the possiblity of buying or renting an old semitrailer box or two? Several of our local tire shops and the like have them as secondary storage units. (Drives the city nuts because they didn't need a permit and aren't taxable as a building). In fact I think Wal-mart uses something similar for their overflow. Look around and be creative.

Jim

LB Landscaping
06-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Yeah thats one of the options I was looking at. Also looking at building a larger shed just so I could do maintenance type things.

Precision
06-02-2005, 08:16 PM
buy the half acre and build a decent shop on it.

I did the buying part and will be building some time this fall when things get slow.

LB Landscaping
06-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Buying is not an option at least for now. The total lot is 1.25 acres, it's owned by a guy who does strickly hard scapes. He wants a landscaper there to work with. He'd use 1/2 and I'd use 1/2 the land and we would share resources. I am leaning towards doing it. Land here is big money you can't touch half an acre commercial for under $150000. I would love to build a shop on my own land and will continue to look but for now this makes sense.

ProCare Lawn Service
06-02-2005, 09:32 PM
The semi trailer thing sounds good.

MMLawn
06-02-2005, 10:09 PM
For me I would have to have the inside storage over the outside. Better and safer protection for the equipment from both weather and crooks and just like yesterday, here it was raining all day so was inside changing and sharpening blades and servicing mowers.

AlbeLawn
06-02-2005, 11:14 PM
you can get shipping crates that they use on ships for over sea shipping. they are at ground level and they are concidered the same as a tractor trailer but are wide enough to pull a car into. i know that they are pretty cheep and you can lease them or buy used ones. i know they work well and are very secure. hope this helps.

gogetter
06-03-2005, 01:09 AM
It's a no brainer, right now you have inside storage with no option of outside storage.
But if you lease the land, you get outside storage and you DO have the option of putting inexpensive storage on it using those containers already mentioned above. AND, you said it's the same price.
Go for it!

I wish I had that opportunity come my way! Keep us posted.

AL Inc
06-03-2005, 05:57 AM
I rent a small area right now and work out of two 20' shipping containers. I have an enclosed trailer, but keep the seasonal equipment in one, and fertilizer and small tools in the other. It works out pretty well, but you are at the mercy of the weather. You can work inside them in the rain, but come winter time, it gets cold in there. I bought a generator to power lights, grinders, and the air compressor, so we have most of what we need. My landlord is cool with us keeping skids of stone on the side, but there really isn't room for much more. Like gogetter said, I wish I had an opportunity like that! I would go for it.