PDA

View Full Version : Adding a second trimmer.....

GTLC
06-02-2005, 09:39 PM
I have been running a Stihl FS 85 for about a year now and I am getting sick of all the downtime I get when one of it's little parts breaks, and I am also getting sick of spending 1/2 an hour setting up gearbox attachments. I need to add a second trimmer. I love the Stihl product but I need a nearly identical one to use as a backup/2nd trimmer. I prefer to get another Stihl but I've never used any other brands and I am looking for input on the other trimmers similar to the Stihl FS 85. I am looking to buy within the next month or so. I need input on Redmax, Shindaiwa, Echo, and the new Stihls pretty much.

packerbacker
06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
I just bought my 2nd Toro in 3 years. Lightweight and run great.

dvmcmrhp52
06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Why not just buy an FS 80 and swap the drive shaft for a solid driveshaft.
It then becomes an FS 85...............

ProCare Lawn Service
06-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I like Shindaiwa, but haven't used Redmax, no dealer. Echos are nice too.

naturescape
06-02-2005, 11:07 PM
It's not in your list but should be -- TANAKA. The 230 is great, and at 10lbs!

65hoss
06-03-2005, 09:01 AM
I have numerous Stihl FS85's. In 6 yrs I've only had 2 days of shop time, and that was on 1 trimmer. Once for a $1 clutch spring after about 2000 hours and once for a new carb, the original was worn down to much to rebuilt. That one and all others have run continuously for years now.

Lawn Masters
06-03-2005, 09:07 AM
I ran Stihl trimmers while I worked for the school board, I find em too bulky for me, my Husky 323L is much nicer for my tastes. I've also found I like Shindaiwa, and Echo trimmers.

allenh60
06-03-2005, 09:25 AM
I always thought Echo was the best. But then again, I'm one of those type people that are like stuck on the one I've used longest or was trained on. Right now I can't even afford an echo so I am using a Ryobi with attatchments. So far it has'nt failed me.

grass_cuttin_fool
06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I use a robin nb2050, it has a steel drive shaft and weighs in @ 8.5 pounds. I have 1 that is on its 3rd season full time and running strong

Runner
06-03-2005, 10:58 AM
I was going to say,...I don't know what all the down time is about...I've never heard of anyone having that much problem with Stihl. I run both Echo and Stihl equipment, and have no difficulties.You should always have two trimmers available, no matter WHAT other brand you decide on. One thing to consider however, is the fact that you already have Stihl, and you have attachments. Economically, it would be more practicle to go with another Stihl...this way you have access to your atttachments, as well.

PLM-1
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm a Shindy fan. I have an Echo SRM261 but as you can tell it isn't on my signature list...cause it's always being worked on. I just got it back from getting a new carb. Guess what, I used it for a day and now it won't stay running....AGAIN. I just inherited another Echo, an SRM 2100(?) and it runs (or lack of) in the same way. It's a piece of $hit too!

lwcmattlifter
06-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I have had fewer problems with my echos than my Stihl trimmers. I'm very tempted to go Tanaka for the next round.

lawnrangeralaska
06-03-2005, 03:17 PM
try a stihl fs100 or fs110 or redmax 2600 or 3000

Pro-Scapes
06-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I run a husq 323L and a husq 325rj. Both have been super reliable and I got them for next to nothing from the factory rep at our store. Both run super strong and always start on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

I did just pick up an echo PAS with the edger attachment and ordered the articulation hedger and pruner. Just fit my budget and needs more than buying 2 seperate components. Got that all for the same price as a new pole saw. So far runs great too. Still fond of my Husq stuff tho. Maybe thats just because I'm used it. Works just as strong as my brothers shin tho so I'm not sure why people knock em

GTLC
06-03-2005, 07:44 PM
The problems I've had with the FS 85 are minimal but cost me alot of downtime.

So far I/ve replaced the starter coil spring, the starter rope, the pawl and spring in the starter, the choke lever, and the driveshaft keeps slipping down out of the rod when i try to hook something up. I think the carbs gonna need a little work too b/c it shuts down after 10-15 seconds of idling. I love the machine, plenty of power and starts 2nd-3rd pull, but the downtime sucks.

dvmcmrhp52
06-03-2005, 07:51 PM
The problems I've had with the FS 85 are minimal but cost me alot of downtime.

So far I/ve replaced the starter coil spring, the starter rope, the pawl and spring in the starter, the choke lever, and the driveshaft keeps slipping down out of the rod when i try to hook something up. I think the carbs gonna need a little work too b/c it shuts down after 10-15 seconds of idling. I love the machine, plenty of power and starts 2nd-3rd pull, but the downtime sucks.

Sounds like most of your downtime is created by pulling the starter cord too far out............the drive shaft? This will happen with any trimmer, just set the trimmer with the business end up and install the attachment, the shaft will no longer fall out.

DennisF
06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
You should have a back-up for all of the tools on the trailer. I would look into a Stihl KM-110R multi-tool. It's the same thing as the FS-110 except it can accept a lot of attachments. It can be set-up for trimmer, edger, Hedge trimmer, etc. I'm going to be buying one at the end of this month since my FS-85T multi-tool is near the end of it's service life.

promower
06-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I have an FS85 and it has worked great. Got the new FS100 this year cause they discontinued the 85. The 100 is heavy, feels like it has less power, and have had trouble starting it. I never use it, bought it for my helper, he seems to like it.

YardPro
06-03-2005, 10:05 PM
they all have thier good and bad things...

my father has an old 19cc robin that i bought 12 years ago and used commercially for 8 years, and he uses now commercially (he has about 80 accounts). he likes it becuase it is light weight.

i like our husky lx325. great power to weight ratio.... very light.. BUT exerything is much more complicated than it needs to be.

Snydermf
06-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey don't give up on Stihl just yet. I have a FS-80 that I have been using for probably 6 years and it is the most reliabel poeaice of equipment I have ever used. Last year we bought an FS-55C as a second trimmer. It has been good but it is a little light for constant use and could use a little more power. We had it in for repairs last week and decided to get another trimmer so that we always have two ready to go. The dealer gave me a sweet deal on the FS-110RX. Man what a machine. It is by far the easiest starting peice of hand held equpiment that I have ever used, especially for a stihl. It starts first pull almost every time and never more than two pulls. The low end torque is amazing it will twist in your hand it has so much. It also has a very nice low idle and a neat sound because of the four mix. I would seriously look into this great replacement for the FS-85. make sure you check around because some of the dealers are running a special on them right now.
Good luck

ky-lawn-guy
06-03-2005, 11:47 PM
I agree, I run both echo and stihl and love both. I have a FS-85 and have used it for over two years without a single problem....one of my guys even forgot to put the pins in my holder on my trailer and the stihl fell of when i went around the corner and slammed into the curb and it didnt even phase it!!! The echos are a little lighter but the stihls are a little more powerful in my experiance.

The Captain
06-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Just bought my second ECHO PAS-260 about 2 weeks ago. I've had one goning on 4 years now and never a problem. Went with the additional PAS-260 because of the attachments I've got. Didn't make much sense to change out everything.

Jim

gunner27
06-04-2005, 01:02 AM
I just bought a Stihl FS 110 and I absolutely love it. The previous coments about the low end tourqe are right on. It is so nice to not have to throttle all the way up. I can go about half throttle and take care of any normal trimming. I think it is more important about the quality of the dealer and the service you get than the name brand. This is the first piece of Stihl equipment I have ever owned but won't be the last strictly based on the dealer support.

Lawn Sharks
06-04-2005, 08:58 AM
I run all Echo. Have an old Stihl in the garage for backup but never use it. Plenty of good brands out there but for me Echo has never let me down.

Lawn Sharks
06-04-2005, 10:10 AM
I run all Echo. Have an old Stihl in the garage for backup but never use it. Plenty of good brands out there but for me Echo has never let me down.

Gautreaux's LNG
06-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Try a Redmax trimmer I use the BCZ2600s, great midium sized trimmer. Lots of power and tuff as nails. I've seem they put through hell and keep on going. Steel shaft, grease fitting on gear head, good tap head. also have used the Jet fit heads with it. Good Luck

ArizPestWeed
06-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I used a Echo 2501 for 6 years and was the best I ever experience .
In the end it did fall a patr , after 10,000 hours .
They don't make the 2501 any more , it's been replaced with something else better

Tharrell
06-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Here ya go, this thing is a monster. And it comes with a blade. I think it's a tad over 9 lbs.

ArizPestWeed
06-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Where is Robin made ?
How much ?

Mo Green
06-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Try a Redmax trimmer I use the BCZ2600s, great midium sized trimmer. Lots of power and tuff as nails. I've seem they put through hell and keep on going. Steel shaft, grease fitting on gear head, good tap head. also have used the Jet fit heads with it. Good Luck
I have the same unit, and your right, it is a good piece of equipment. I just bought a BCZ2400S a couple of days ago to compliment it, and I couldn't be happier. I have two Echo and Stihl dealers within 8 miles of my home, but I drive around 20 miles for the Redmax.

cclllc
06-05-2005, 12:01 AM
I like Shindaiwa, but haven't used Redmax, no dealer. Echos are nice too.

I have mostly shin's but recently bought a new red max.2400 I think.I like it.

Likestomow
06-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Get away from Stihl junk. They are heavy, hard to start and keep running and too expensive to fix.

Try Kawasaki - lighter, more power - less expensive. Give Travis a call at Landscaper Supply (866) 753-2622, and get a good deal.

128Steve
06-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree with Likestomow thought on Kawasaki. While many brands are excellent, with Kawasaki you get great value. Sometimes the new kid on the block gives you more product to get your business.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Get away from Stihl junk. They are heavy, hard to start and keep running and too expensive to fix.

Try Kawasaki - lighter, more power - less expensive. Give Travis a call at Landscaper Supply (866) 753-2622, and get a good deal.

And how many stihl products do you own and run?

DennisF
06-06-2005, 10:14 PM

Stihl equipment is a hell of a long way from junk. Heavy? Yes... and for a good reason. Hard to start? Only if you don't know how to start them. Expensive to fix? Absolutely false. Especially if you maintain and repair your own equipment. Replacement parts are available on-line and cost less than most of the competitor's replacement parts.

I've used Stihl equipment in my business for more years than I want to admit, and there are very few competitor products that come close to Stihl in terms of quality, reliability, and longevity. Redmax is a close second. Everything else is an also ran. JMO.

Lawn Sharks
06-06-2005, 10:25 PM
You know I was loving your post until that last part. You are dissing my beloved Echo's! I feel that the Echo equipment is ever bit the equal of the Stihl. Stihl is great stuff. I have some in the garage for backup that I bought and used when my local dealer was a Stihl guy. I take good care of my equipment and Echo has never let me down so let's give em a break. Please?

Gibs
06-06-2005, 10:52 PM
has anyone used a edger that didint have the little guide wheel on the bottom? cause i can buya ttachments for my trimmer and wann add a edger to my trimmer but theres 2 options one that has the wheel and one without the wheel?

gunner27
06-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Stihl equipment is a hell of a long way from junk. Heavy? Yes... and for a good reason. Hard to start? Only if you don't know how to start them. Expensive to fix? Absolutely false. Especially if you maintain and repair your own equipment. Replacement parts are available on-line and cost less than most of the competitor's replacement parts.

I've used Stihl equipment in my business for more years than I want to admit, and there are very few competitor products that come close to Stihl in terms of quality, reliability, and longevity. Redmax is a close second. Everything else is an also ran. JMO.
I just bought my first ever piece of Stihl equipment, a FS110 trimmer. Granted it is new, but so far it is awesome. Everything goes back to dealer support, and Stihl is still one of the best as far as that is concerned. For me, my dealer is 5 minutes down the road, so that played a big factor, not to mention that he is very well respected.