PDA

View Full Version : medical problems getting in the way

Mowerboy04
06-02-2005, 08:55 PM
well i was out cutting today when all of the sudden i got relly short of breath and had a hard time breathing. my medical condition is that i only have one lung and have some other heart and lung problems. it seems i only have a problem when i'm useing the walkbehind or trimming or edging and stuff like that. but what i was wondering was do any of u guys have medical problems that get in the way of your work and how do u cope with it.
don't mind the spelling
alex

Mowerboy04
06-02-2005, 08:56 PM
o yea by the way. the way i fixed my problem was i hired a friend of myn to do all my trimming edging blowing and that stuff
alex

1MajorTom
06-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Not trying to come across as being uncaring, but are you sure this is the type of work you should be doing? What do your doctors say about it?
Over the long haul, this type of work may be too taxing for your health.
Maybe look into riding instead of walking, that should take away some of the physical exertion. good luck.

Jpocket
06-02-2005, 09:05 PM
well i was out cutting today when all of the sudden i got relly short of breath and had a hard time breathing. my medical condition is that i only have one lung and have some other heart and lung problems. it seems i only have a problem when i'm useing the walkbehind or trimming or edging and stuff like that. but what i was wondering was do any of u guys have medical problems that get in the way of your work and how do u cope with it.
don't mind the spelling
alex

Damn...you need to be in the office & doing the estimates not in the field with one lung my friend

Envy Lawn Service
06-02-2005, 09:06 PM
I have diabetes, which is a real challenge for me at times in this business. All I can do is the best I can do. I try to keep my personal health ahead of all else. But sometimes it is easy to forget. Other times it's very hard to cope with the fact I just can't handle what I once could.

Mowerboy04
06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Not trying to come across as being uncaring, but are you sure this is the type of work you should be doing? What do your doctors say about it?
Over the long haul, this type of work may be too taxing for your health.
Maybe look into riding instead of walking, that should take away some of the physical exertion. good luck.

my doc's say its good for me and it should build up my lungs they jsut say if i start to get short of breath to take an easy. and since i have hired my helper 2 weeks ago i have been sticking with the ztr and he dose all the trim work

GTLC
06-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Alex,

It's good that you are able to overcome your health problems and succeed in your business at such a young age. Keep up the good work and you can fulfill your dreams.
:)

Tharrell
06-03-2005, 06:42 AM
I have to tell you guys about a local guy. He has a helper and a ZTR. The guy uses crutches to walk. He sits on the Z and the helper does all the other stuff.
He's a real inspiration.

jeffex
06-03-2005, 07:07 AM
it sounds like your problem is with emissions from 2cyl. equipment. they have 4cyl trimmers and wheeled 4cyl blowers if the helper deal falls through. Ingenuity and perseverance will overcome many obstacles.

C&KLawnCare
06-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Anxiety attacks are no where near fun, i go thru bouts of them and whene your out their mowing oh boy it can get scary at times but . i have learned you got to keep your mind off what your body is doing at the moment and try to cope thru. i would not wish anxiety/panic attacks on my worst enemy .

here is some of the symptoms ,

More Common Symptoms of panic attacks

Rapid heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations
Sweating
Shaking visibly or inside
Choking sensations or lump in throat
Smothering or shortness of breath sensations
Chest pain or discomfort
Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort
Dizziness or unsteadiness
Feeling light-headed
Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)
Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)
Fear of losing control or going crazy
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body
Chills or hot flushes
Skin losing colour
Blushing or skin blotches
Urgently needing to urinate or defecate

try having about 4-5 of them going at once ughhhhhhhh . makes life fun at times

Tonyr
06-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I have diabetes too, found out last year, controlling it with diet so far, I have low suger, not high like most....

But my biggest hassle is a condition called 'irritable bowel syndrome', it is severe cramping of internal gut muscles, pain like you wouldn't believe, controlled best by daily doses of codeine phosphate....but sometimes the pain killers don't work and it gets worse, and try finding public toilets when ya need one! ha ha.

I work my jobs around my health.

Currently got the tendons or ligaments damaged in left shoulder, and a pinched nerve, taking morphine for that...really knocking me around, only could get 2 jobs in today! bad!

Apart from that, and my occasional migraine needing pethedeine lol, I'm great!

We can't all be healthy and as fit as we were when young, but we must find ways to keep going and finding ways of not letting health be the end of us prematurely.

Like, I admit I couldn't push a mower for a living, just not fit enough, yet I was super fit all my younger life, but riding a ZTR enables me to earn a good living, easy....hard to work the beer off though! ha ha ha.

All about making the best with what ya got I guess...

daveintoledo
06-03-2005, 08:43 AM
diabetes here too, have to keep food with me , when pills kick in my sugar drops and if i dont eat at the right time , diabetic coma.....

PLM-1
06-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Anxiety attacks are no where near fun, i go thru bouts of them and whene your out their mowing oh boy it can get scary at times but . i have learned you got to keep your mind off what your body is doing at the moment and try to cope thru. i would not wish anxiety/panic attacks on my worst enemy .

here is some of the symptoms ,

More Common Symptoms of panic attacks

Rapid heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations
Sweating
Shaking visibly or inside
Choking sensations or lump in throat
Smothering or shortness of breath sensations
Chest pain or discomfort
Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort
Dizziness or unsteadiness
Feeling light-headed
Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)
Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)
Fear of losing control or going crazy
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body
Chills or hot flushes
Skin losing colour
Blushing or skin blotches
Urgently needing to urinate or defecate

try having about 4-5 of them going at once ughhhhhhhh . makes life fun at times

They suck the big one! Medication helps tho...had GAD for sometime now.

shortgut
06-04-2005, 08:46 PM
I run into the cancer issue in 97 and was unable to get Dr to ok me going back to work as was wanting to just because I was hooked up to a IV pump for 12 hrs a day 7 days a week for 2 years so the company let me retire on disability so I fianly got off of the IVs for a year and then had to go back on them this time only twice a week and it only took about 2 hrs so I am still under DrS care so I work till I get tired and then go home I try to get all I can do before noon and if it is over 90 I stay inside . I have right at 29 customers and 1 is a contract for a city and the other one I have is 2 of the local school district campuses . the only help that I have is my wife on her days off and my boys on their days off but am trying to cut back but really hard to I only started this as a having purpsoe in my life thing been ust to working my whole life and it sucks not to be able to or being told you can not go back to work too bad that it seems that every company is so scared of being sued That is the main reason if I went back to work without DRs releaseand something happend the company would be lible owell I am content to be a house husband and my wife the wage earner . twjshortgut

riches139
06-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Hurt my back last week at my full time job. :realmad:
Next day, strained the tendons in my left ankle with my wb. :angry:
At 54, don't need that kind of pain ever again. :cry:

Envy Lawn Service
06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Hurt my back last week at my full time job. :realmad:
Next day, strained the tendons in my left ankle with my wb. :angry:
At 54, don't need that kind of pain ever again. :cry:

Boy, I feel your pain. I took a fall in October of 2003. Messed up the first 7 discs in my lower back, so they tell me. At this point I have accepted that it is not going to get any better. I avoid the back labor these days and live with the pain.

Envy Lawn Service
06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I have diabetes too, found out last year, controlling it with diet so far, I have low suger, not high like most....

Just be really careful with that. Make sure to keep up with those Dr's appointments and test often so you know where you are. This will help you learn to 'feel' when your sugar is dropping. Otherwise, after it happens so many times, your body becomes accustomed to it and you stop having the reactions of early warning.

Trust me, I know this. I had the low sugar problem a long time and didn't even know what it was. It was a condition of working myself way too hard though. I used to call it the weak trembles. I would get weak and shake. I knew it was time to stop for food and fluids. Something like a candy bar would almost give me lock jaw and cool tingles would run up my head between my eyes and ears. Never paid it much attention. Never really knew the truth of what it was.

Several years later, I got sick.... I mean really sick. No energy at all and everything hurt. It was all I could do to get from the couch to the mailbox, and even then I literally had to physically stop and take a break both going and coming. SAD.

I still didn't know what it was. The doctors couldn't figure it out either. Turned out I had developed a rather serious metabolic problem, which resulted in the onset of diabetes. A doctor actually did not diagnose me over all that time. Someone else helped me to find what was wrong. In my medical files, there was NO FAMILY HISTORY OF DIABETES so the doctors had no motive to screen me for this during my odd illness.

This metabolic problem is more specifically becoming accepted as "Syndrome-X" or "Syndrome-X Diabetes".... Basically, I suffer from both illnesses.... Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar/diabetes).... and a brutal rollercoaster ride between the two extremes.

Some diabetics experience this briefly when brought on by excessive medication or too little intake along with the medication. But not continously like I do.

My warning for you and your low sugar is this.... I believe further intense future studies will show that this metabolic problem develops more in people who suffer from low blood sugar levels and do not keep it in check like I didn't, because I didn't know.

odtb
06-05-2005, 01:08 AM
M.S. forced me to quit commercial truck driving several years ago. Fatigue, vertigo and other symptoms that come and go as they see fit got me really down.
Mowing, light landscaping and field work has allowed me to keep working at something i like to do.Flexibility has been the key.Being able to work at my own pace, adjust my schedules when i get behind ect.I always look for ways to make things a little more easy the next time.
When i feel good i really push it sometimes and it feels good.The regular exercise and fresh air have done more for me than most of my medicines.
When i feel bad i must slow way down.Some days i have to call it quits early.These times i try to service my equipment or catch up on some paperwork.
Best of all i am close to home and get to spend much more time with my family and friends, than i did driving trucks.Having my own business gives me some peace of mind and a good reason to try harder.
I hope everybody dealing with illness the best.Keep looking for ways to work around your limitations.Try to have a little fun each day, but only do what you can do, in a safe manner.
Best wishes ODTB

Bgaz
06-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Had my left hip replaced in December at the age of 46. Not sure how I hurt the hip, but arthritis cleaned out everything, leaving me bone on bone. Had to take 120 mg oxycontin a day for 10 months prior to surgery which left me tired and unmotivated, thought I was done in lawn care.

Was back to work mulching by March 1 (no wheelbarrow pushing yet at this time!) and mowing full time by April 1. Still a bit stiff, but NO pain :) Worked my butt off in rehab to get ready for work and am now very glad I had the surgery.

Have to have the other hip done in the future, but not in pain atm, so fingers crossed I can wait a few years.

Oldtimer
06-05-2005, 09:26 AM
I am right in there with the health issues. Sometimes my only wish is to be able to get up in the morning and be pain free for just one day. The hardest thing to do is improve our health thru lifestyle. What we eat has a tremendous impact on how we feel, heal and think. There are 2 web sites with a lot of good information. My wife and I managed to stay on the Hallelujah Diet for 6 weeks and the results were wonderful. During the first couple of weeks the body goes thru detox and we felt like crap then we had to start using an alarm clock for the first time in years. All allergy sometimes disappeared, we lost weight, had more energy and our skin looked younger and healthier. I stopped by our hunting camp for lunch and some of the members who hadn't seem me for a few months commented about how much healthier I looked. I had a few business trips and trips to Tallahassee to watch FSU play football and got off the diet. We are beginning again this week. I have a friend who had throat and tongue cancer surgery and cannot swallow anything except liquids. He has to be fed thru a feeding tube directly into his stomach. Since he doesn't select his nutrition by taste his food preferences have changed and he is basically a vegan. His skin looks like it did when he was 35 instead of 65 and his energy level is unbelievable. He is really healthy and no one would ever know he has any physical problems.

www.hacres.com
www.freedomyou.com

If anyone has a spinal problem and doesn't want to go thru the agony of surgery check out www.microspine.com. They are the only Doctors in the USA who do this and the director of a local Radiologist Group which consults with them says their work is amazing.

Oldtimer 64, and hoping for several more

You cannot direct the wind but you can trim the sails

Steve9
06-05-2005, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=C&KLawnCare]Anxiety attacks are no where near fun, i go thru bouts of them and whene your out their mowing oh boy it can get scary at times but . i have learned you got to keep your mind off what your body is doing at the moment and try to cope thru. i would not wish anxiety/panic attacks on my worst enemy .

I went through anxiety attacks last year. I think mowing was my cure. Helps me relax and takes my mind off things. I was always afraid i'd keel over and die in a customers back yard or something. Fighting through is all you can do. Just keep telling yourself "it's" not going to beat me.

C&KLawnCare
06-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I was always afraid i'd keel over and die in a customers back yard or something. Fighting through is all you can do. Just keep telling yourself "it's" not going to beat me.

I know how ya feel , mine are the worst in winter time whene theirs so much idle time , Feeding the cattle ughhh get out their cold and wind snow blowing your mind starts thinking all kinds of thing's . They can play hell on a person. I just use the same way of thinking ill be damned if this gets me down .