PDA

View Full Version : Exmark mulching kit

ChadA
06-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Does anyone have a mulching kit on there Exmark W/B if so how well does it work. I've been wanting and EZ chute for a while but I will need mulching blades with an EZ chute so I was just going to look into getting a mulch kit. But I was wondering if they worked good enough to keep on all the time. I have some biweekly accounts and it get thick in some areas. my dealer told me they were like $150-190 depending on the mower. I have a 48" metro. Thanks for any input.

Fareway Lawncare
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
They Work even Better on the fiXed Deck Units....Put one eXcalibur Mulcher On Top...then a Blade Spacer then a Second eXcalibur Mulcher Blade to Form a +...Can Only Stack the Blades On top of Each Other on the Floaters.

lwcmattlifter
06-02-2005, 09:57 PM
They work great but don't expect miracles when cutting in spring growth.

pagefault
06-02-2005, 10:03 PM
I've been very happy with mine.

dishboy
06-02-2005, 10:09 PM
They Work even Better on the fiXed Deck Units....Put one eXcalibur Mulcher On Top...then a Blade Spacer then a Second eXcalibur Mulcher Blade to Form a +...Can Only Stack the Blades On top of Each Other on the Floaters.

Fareway, when you double up the mulch blades on a kit'ed 36 TTHP do you get a trail between the blades in tall grass. Have you tried grinding the lift off the top blades to mellow out all that air flow doubles create? I tried gators on top and got a trail between blades so abandoned that idea.

Fareway Lawncare
06-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Gators are Garbage...

I Use Worn Down eXcalibur Mulchers on Top...On Your Underpowered 15hp/36" you Should Use 16" eXcalibur Mulchers on Top & 18" on Bottom....Go Nuts.

ChadA
06-02-2005, 10:49 PM
What kind of grass are you guys cutting. Im cutting mostly st augustine here with occasional Bahia mixed in. I'm worried how it will perform in thick st augustine. Also if needed can you open the baffle and SD with the kit still on.

i_plant_art
06-02-2005, 11:46 PM
chad - ive got the mulch kit on both the 52" turf tracer and the 36" turf tracer HP and they work awsome i have no complaints about them being clogged or boggin the unit down. Keep the blades sharp and you will be ok. I change theblades everyday and havent had a problem with them. Our guys mow bermuda, zoysia and fescue. With the mulch kit installed you really cant side discharge. you have to take the baffles out from under the deck. I love them we mulch everything. I got tired of getting complaints of grass in the beds b.c someone was careless so we invested in the mulching kits and have been pleased.

BareFootLawn
06-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a 48" turf tracer with a mulch kit installed.
I bought gator blade for it and they really suck. They leave a trail of matted mulched grass, no matter how high the grass is that you're cutting. I use the ExMark mulching blades, they work great as long as you keep them sharp and scrape the deck daily.

ChadA
06-06-2005, 12:41 AM
OK I finished putting the mulch kit on tonight and will get to test it out tomorrow. Cant wait to see how it does and hopfully no more grass the flower beds. I'll let you know how it cuts.

ChadA
06-08-2005, 11:08 PM
The mulch kit works like a champ. I broke it in on a tall yard and it chopped them up with no problems. Went out all day today and was very impressed. I would definitely recommend a mulch kit.

Gilla Gorilla
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
The mulch kits are great on the Exmarks. I run them on my 36 Metro Hp and 60 Lazer Z
during the summer and fall. I am actually thinking about trying the double mulching blades like Fairway said and see how they work out. All of my lawns are weekly except for two that are every third week and they dont care how it looks afterwards at this point in time so I am curious to see how the doubles will do on these two lawns.

tazz6584
06-08-2005, 11:32 PM
We have mulch kits on all mowers best way to go.In springtime growth it does present a challenge but being able to keep beds and other areas clean helps alot with cleanup.Staying off driveways in wet conditions/no clippings on the side of the house on smaller residential. Once things dry up and slow down you can really go with the mulch kits

Meg-Mo
06-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Use the MEG MO blades with the ACS then no having to change blades or take mulch kit off. Blades stay Sharp longer and replacement knives are only $3.95 @.

TClawn
06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
so how much hp do meg mo's take of compared to a regular mulching blade?

Meg-Mo
06-10-2005, 07:25 AM
It take more hp on some mower than other and we get all type of reports on horse power but it should not take more than 5%.

locutus
06-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Fareway, when you double up the mulch blades on a kit'ed 36 TTHP do you get a trail between the blades in tall grass. Have you tried grinding the lift off the top blades to mellow out all that air flow doubles create? I tried gators on top and got a trail between blades so abandoned that idea.I use a sand blade (no lift) as one of the blades when running doubles. Much less blowout and turbulence.