PDA

View Full Version : Are my Bearings Shot?

battags
06-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Can anyone describe what it sounds like when your spindle bearings are going? My 54" Bobcat w/b is making one heck of a rattle when the blades are engaged. The cut is not the same either. Bearings?

Brian

dvmcmrhp52
06-03-2005, 12:00 AM
If the cut is being affected it most likely is bearings.

Grab the blades one at a time and see if you get any side to side movement in the spindle.

battags
06-03-2005, 08:23 AM
They dont seem loose in any way. I see in J-thomas that bearings are around 30 each for the upper and lower sets. Is that something I can try replacing myself or worth the hassle of taking it to the dealer?

Brian

Glenn J
06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Have you greased the spindles recently?

Bitter
06-03-2005, 04:16 PM
could there be something out of balance? perhaps one of the blades is out of balance?

take the blade off and balance it on something, like a nail in a vise. thats the easiest way to find if its out of balance.

Restrorob
06-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Can anyone describe what it sounds like when your spindle bearings are going? My 54" Bobcat w/b is making one heck of a rattle when the blades are engaged. The cut is not the same either. Bearings?

Brian

The bearings can be tight and still be bad,Remove the belt and free spin the blade and listen for any growling noise If they make any noise at all they are bad and need replacing. Do the same check with the belts off on idler pulleys also if it growls replace it also.

dvmcmrhp52
06-03-2005, 06:51 PM
The bearings can be tight and still be bad,Remove the belt and free spin the blade and listen for any growling noise If they make any noise at all they are bad and need replacing. Do the same check with the belts off on idler pulleys also if it growls replace it also.

True enough, good info.

topsites
06-04-2005, 12:03 AM

Brian

Try, with the belt disengaged, to 'wobble' each blade with your hand (like up-down). If they move, it's the bearings and now you know which set(s) :-)

battags
06-04-2005, 03:39 PM
OK, I guess I was hoping for some other diagnosis. With the belt off, they wobble somewhat. Not much, but enough to affect the cut quality. When free spinning them, as suggested, grinding and friction.

How long can I expect to get out of a spindle assembly? Thoughts on running doubles adding to premature failure?

Brian

Restrorob
06-04-2005, 06:41 PM
OK, I guess I was hoping for some other diagnosis. With the belt off, they wobble somewhat. Not much, but enough to affect the cut quality. When free spinning them, as suggested, grinding and friction.

How long can I expect to get out of a spindle assembly? Thoughts on running doubles adding to premature failure?

Brian

The last Bobcat I rebuilt the spindles on had the aluminum housing,I drilled and tapped the housing for a grease fitting and popped the inner grease seals out of the bearings. Thus longer life.

topsites
06-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Brian

Well you could take it to the dealer, maybe they have an 80-dollar diagnostic fee thing they can do :-) Sorry, had to do that.

I think you could use replacement before it spins out on you in the middle of a yard, that's what I did. Still, I ran mine for about a month and I could SEE the wobble as I run one of my older ones without the cover - it was scary but those commercial mowers really are built like tanks. Replace as soon as you get around to it, though - If they give out on you, you will have some considerable downtime, especially if you've never done them before.

Now I have a fixdeck toro (2 of them actually) and those sealed bearings go out about every 1500 yards or so (once/2 years). I replace just the bearings, not the entire assembly because just the bearings is $50/set. The job is a pain in the arse but once I got used to it (3rd time around) it only takes about an hour - first time took all day, 2nd time 3 hours.

Dunno if it's the same for you, but on the toro there is a very specific procedure involving about 8-10 steps which must be taken in exact order and if you forget even one, the job can't be finished.

Specifically what I remember is:
- Get the shaft out of the assembly before taking the assembly off.
- Remember the lower bearings has a clip you must remove first.
- Use a big hammer and a vise.
- To seat the new ones, use an old blade to put in between bearings and hammer. This will absorb the direct hit so you don't crack the race and NO a piece of wood is not strong enough.
- Use LOTS of wd-40 or PB blaster - soak, soak, soak.

Best of luck!

battags
06-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Well, I dropped the mower off last Monday and they just got around to looking at it today. Estimate to replace spindle assemblies ---- $750 to $800!!! I about crapped my pants right there in the service bay!

I think I will buy new parts from J-Thomas and figure this one out on my own. The head mechanic said that they charge $80 per man hour! Unreal.

Brian

Restrorob
06-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, I dropped the mower off last Monday and they just got around to looking at it today. Estimate to replace spindle assemblies ---- $750 to $800!!! I about crapped my pants right there in the service bay!

I think I will buy new parts from J-Thomas and figure this one out on my own. The head mechanic said that they charge $80 per man hour! Unreal.

Brian

Even at $80 a hour it shouldn't take over 1 1/2 hrs. to replace complete assemblys. And this place sounds like a heck of a rip-off joint 750 to 800 !!!
Unreal :dizzy:

topsites
06-15-2005, 11:15 PM

Brian

Well on my 30197's (proline fixdeck), I get about 2 years/assembly BUT they always fail at different times and sometimes only last 1 year.
Far as running doubles, I think doubles is a waste... To decrease streaking you're better off (IMO) raising the deck and lowering the blades.

battags
06-17-2005, 11:47 PM
The $800 quote was from Baker Vehicle Systems in Macedonia, Ohio. They are close to me and a Bob-Cat dealer. The problem is that they sell and service large Jacobsen equipment, mostly for municipalities and the State of Ohio. They don't have the time to be bothered by "little guys", I guess. They will never see my business agian.

I took the mower to Cortland Tractor, about an hour east of me, and got it back the next day. Yes, that's 24 hours! $193.00 to replace upper and lower berings on all three spindles and adjust the hydros, including labor!!! Then again, it helps when your father-in-law works there!

Brian