PDA

View Full Version : Local LCO

ToroLandscaper
06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Hey guys there is a local landscaper who is under cutting everyone and its pisson people off really bad. For example there is a landscaper who is a friend (doug) of mine and he is doin a yard and he does it for $45.00 and its worth every penny of it just becouse the old man will come out and watch you the WHOLE TIME and its a pretty decent sized yard. well any way the landscaper who is under cuttin everyone goes up there and says i will give you a senior discount and will mow weed eat and blow for $20.00 luckily the guys said the hell with that i like my guy and then any yard that looks to have stripes he will go up and under cut it ATLEAST 5-10 $$. Another LCO (allen) was working and he stopped and he was sayin how he was tryin to get all the accounts he could and under cuttin every one. And he even threatin to take jobs from the other lco (doug) this guy is really pissin people off. What would you all do to get this bastard to stop its not threatining any of our buissnesses its just pissin us off becouse of his BS. Another thing is he has one guy weed eat while he mows and he has a WB and a Z and a decents truck HOW DOES THIS GUY MAKE MONEY after he pays his helper and pays the truck payment and gas and up keep on everything how is he making any kind of profit at all LOL Sorry i just had to get it out. sorry about the spelling.

South Florida Lawns
06-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Competition Sucks, Especially the low life. Who does a better job, has better reputation as well as equipment? YOU DO, and at the end of the day that guy made only half as much as you but still cut the same number of lawns. So I would not let him bother you.

RKISTNER1
06-02-2005, 11:46 PM
As a homowner it's my job (because of tHis site) thanks Sean 2 educate everyone i know..About the Crap u guys put up with...GOD BLESS THE LCO'S!

Thirdpete
06-02-2005, 11:47 PM
i don't see why people complain about others who can afford to go with lower prices. if he is mowing 1,000 lawns and making $5 profit on each lawn and you're mowing 100 lawns and making 10 dollars on each lawn, who is making more money? its the same tactic that chain stores use, they can sell in bulk and operate on a 1% margin.

maybe you should figure out how to lower your overhead. maybe he invested dirty money into something clean. maybe his workers are not well paid, maybe $6 an hour. maybe he doenst have any maintenance labor costs because he does it all himself, maybe he was a mechanic in a former life. maybe he has family working with him and htey split the profit so they dont have to pay for labor charges, they just do the work and split it themselves.

who knows? figure out how you can compete, because what he is doing is perfectly legal.

gogetter
06-03-2005, 12:50 AM
i don't see why people complain about others who can afford to go with lower prices. if he is mowing 1,000 lawns and making $5 profit on each lawn and you're mowing 100 lawns and making 10 dollars on each lawn, who is making more money? its the same tactic that chain stores use, they can sell in bulk and operate on a 1% margin.

maybe you should figure out how to lower your overhead. maybe he invested dirty money into something clean. maybe his workers are not well paid, maybe $6 an hour. maybe he doenst have any maintenance labor costs because he does it all himself, maybe he was a mechanic in a former life. maybe he has family working with him and htey split the profit so they dont have to pay for labor charges, they just do the work and split it themselves.

who knows? figure out how you can compete, because what he is doing is perfectly legal.

Everyone is always so quick to compare the big chain stores to us. It's not the same thing. We are a SERVICE industry, they are a RETAIL business.

And when I look at all those "maybes" listed above, everyone of them will eventually lead to "maybe" being out of business in a year.

dog245
06-03-2005, 01:04 AM
The bottom line is that if he's out trying to undercut the industry he doesn't have the client base for a business. Now this most probably is because he does crappy work and has crappy equipment. We all have seen these low balling bastar.. come and go. Do quality work and he'll be gone by the years end. If not, beat his knees once and he'll think twice next time.

yrdandgardenhandyman
06-03-2005, 05:19 AM
He will either succeed or, more probably, fail and be out of biz and he won't be a problem anymore.

MOW ED
06-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Keep track of where he is mowing. I have found that guys like him may be able to keep up for a while and think he is on top of the game but eventually reality catches up with him. When there is no money to hire another goof, or there is no money to replace the Murray, he starts losing jobs.
You may also want to do a little detective work to make sure he is operating as a legit business. All licenses purchased, paying tax to Uncle Sam?
If you know he is way out of line with his pricing then he has to be cutting corners somewhere.
Truthfully you will be able to take over a number of his accounts when things go sour for him but you also have to remember that the people that go over are shoppers, not really the kind of customer that appreciates quality work in many cases. These types of customers have a new LCO every year because they are cheap. You have a tough situation to deal with now and patience is needed. Keep us updated. Good Luck.

BALDEAGLE
06-03-2005, 07:45 AM

why would ya wanna compete, with a moron who's working for nothing?
tell ya what, you drop your prices to compete w/ jonny moron.it will be more work for the rest of us, when both your dumba$$'s go under!

Mo Green
06-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Just have faith in the fact that with his lowball prices and shady tactics, he will soon run himself out of business.

ztoro
06-03-2005, 07:56 AM
You guys should all work in a hair salon.... all this bickering about scrubs is just to much drama...

the only good point made here is get a hold of his client list.... sooner or later they will need help...

Pro-Scapes
06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
if he is a start up maybe he just doesnt know anybetter ??? Rememeber to the average joe $20 an hour is like gold. Even if you gotta buy a crappy mower for that $20 an hour its still good money for someone who lives in a trailer and has low bills.

I shoot more for the 45 to 60 an hour range. Once you have tasted it you will consider yourself worth more.

When I pulled in to get gas yesterday there was 3 other trucks there with mowers in em. 1 with 2 nice new scags and an older guy who has obviously been in business. and 2 with wb's and some walmart 21' and me with my new Z Master :) ..To the summer kid out of school 20 an hour sure beats flippin burgers for 6 thats for sure.

pagefault
06-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Here's a question that nobody ever answers.

How do you expect him to know what to charge if nobody else will ever tell anyone what they charge? And save your breath, if you're going to tell me about bidding based on costs blah blah blah. No matter what your costs are, there is a limit to what the people in your area will pay and obviously, there is a limit to how low the established guys will go, or else you would not be able to label someone a lowballer so easily.

If someone was lowballing around me and I knew about it, I would find him and talk to him. I would tell him that I heard he was charging $20 for a $40-50 job and that he was leaving a lot of money on the table. He'd probably tell me that he was doing it to get accounts. I would then talk to him about what I do to get accounts.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Runner
06-03-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm really kind of suprised at the amount of lco's in the area this year who are trying to pull the "Joe Competition" thing. I wave at them and I know they see me, but yet, they don't wave back. It's never really been like thast until this year. It certainly sets the amateurs apart from the pros. I don't know what their deal is, if they the owners, or 7 an hour jockeys, or what, but soneone should teach them a little something about respect.

A+ Lawncare
06-03-2005, 10:20 AM
see if this "new lco" has insurance and is fully legit.... if he's not and you can prove it make a few phone calls to your county agent and put him outta business...

MowerMoney
06-03-2005, 10:49 PM

The problem with this "WalMart" scenario, is that one person can only do so many lawns in one day. Therfore, if your profit margin is that much lower, then you can't make much more than beer money from it. And these guys are doing this full time I'm sure they need more than beer money.

When I first started into this business (and yes I was a scrub with my Crapsman mower, Homelite curved shaft trimmer and a broom in the back of my pickup), I was charging a minimum $25 per cut. I found out later that one of the long time LCO's here were charging $28 for that same lawn. So I was lowballing a bit but not by much. Three years later I am charging $30 for that same size lawn. Now that I am pretty much booked up, I am charging to NEW callers $35 - $40 for that same size property (cause I can't really fit them in anyways) AND I AM STILL GETTING THEM.

What I'm saying is, new LCO's shouldn't have to lowball to the point of NO PROFIT. They may make some money for the first or second month but just wait till they have to get their mower repaired or replaced and there is no extra $ for this. Only the serious, smart ones will still be here next year.

Lawnmedics
06-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Economics says all markets will find equilibrium. This is true for LCO'S. I would rather make ten dollars a lawn on 2000 lawns than 40 dollars a lawn on 100 lawns. It is going to happen sooner than later fellas.l

ToroLandscaper
06-03-2005, 11:42 PM
why would ya wanna compete, with a moron who's working for nothing?
tell ya what, you drop your prices to compete w/ jonny moron.it will be more work for the rest of us, when both your dumba$$'s go under!

Hold on your calling me a dumbass........ i didnt do anythibg and im not lowering my prices or anything.

ToroLandscaper
06-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah he had the wrong type of plates in his truck.

Lawn Sharks
06-04-2005, 09:23 AM
The great part about this is that in the fall all of the guys who bought real nice equipment put it in the paper for sale to buy christmas presents for their family. You can get some great bargains when everyone is trying to sell WBs at the end of the year.

payup

STAN1366
06-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Maybe some letters need to be dropped in the mail boxes of his customers advertising your services, qualifications, licenses, insurance, etc. Maybe these folks who think they're getting a bargain might think twice about what the costs really are.

Thirdpete
06-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Everyone is always so quick to compare the big chain stores to us. It's not the same thing. We are a SERVICE industry, they are a RETAIL business.

And when I look at all those "maybes" listed above, everyone of them will eventually lead to "maybe" being out of business in a year.

1. maybe you should figure out how to lower your overhead.
how will this lead him to being out of business in a year?

2. maybe he invested dirty money into something clean.
it's definitely a possibility, there's more than a few guys around here who have done that, and are doing quite well.

3. maybe his workers are not well paid, maybe $6 an hour.
a possibility that will not necessarily lead to being out of business in a year.

4. maybe he doenst have any maintenance labor costs because he does it all himself, maybe he was a mechanic in a former life.
right, i could see how that would lead to him failing in a service industry that requires a certain amount of mechanical knowledge :rolleyes:

5. . maybe he has family working with him and htey split the profit so they dont have to pay for labor charges, they just do the work and split it themselves.
do family business never work out?

Norm Al
06-04-2005, 02:51 PM
i hope none of you fools shop at wal-mart!

pagefault
06-04-2005, 03:07 PM
If someone was lowballing around me and I knew about it, I would find him and talk to him. I would tell him that I heard he was charging $20 for a $40-50 job and that he was leaving a lot of money on the table...

Has anyone tried anything like this?

I guess not.

Shocking.