PDA

View Full Version : Poison Freaking Ivy sucks

South Florida Lawns
06-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Yep today I ran into my worst enemy, so while everyones relaxing I'm sitting hear itching like CRAZY. Its on my hands part of my face as well as my legs. I wen't to the ER cause it was bad, the doctors just took off they wouldn't get near me. The yard was really over grown in the back and now I'm an itchin mess.

dvmcmrhp52
06-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. My brother used to be the same way, now he's not so sensitive to it.

I'm one of the fortunate ones in that it doesn't affect me.

I'm feeling for your itching..........Pass the calamine..........

Runner
06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm fortunate enough not to be allergic to poison ivy, but once in awhile, I get this conditio on my hand and/or sometimes my elbow, where I have a rash of small bumps that really itch. They eventually dry up, but I use ivy dry on them. It's not exactl;y the same as poison ivy or oak, and I still havent been able to find what it is exactly I get into to cause this. I do wish I could pinpoint it down though, so I could avoid it.

packerbacker
06-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Use this. It helps drys it up. Soak in it for about 30 mins. If you cant make it yourself you can go to a drugstore and buy it. I get it really bad also.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/oatmealbath.htm

Also take some Benadryl and use a spray called "Rhuli". Make sure you get the spray and not the cream so you dont have to touch yourself.

If all else fails scratch the hell out of it till it bleeds and pour bleach on it. I dont reccomend that as it hurts like hell but it does work.

Precision
06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
q-tip and straight clorox, rub deeply

hit with hot hair dryer air for as long as you can stand it.

lwcmattlifter
06-03-2005, 12:03 AM
I get poison ivy really bad also. I have had good results with Tecnu skin cleanser. This is the next best thing to going to the doctor for steroid packs.

txlawnking
06-03-2005, 12:15 AM
I get poison ivy really bad also. I have had good results with Tecnu skin cleanser. This is the next best thing to going to the doctor for steroid packs.

I feel you're pain, man.. Ditto on what He^^^^ said.. The Tecnu stuff is KING.

gogetter
06-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Not sure why the doctors would not come near you since it's not contagious.

But anyway, as Precision said hit it with a hair dryer as hot as you can stand it (obviously, try not to burn yourself!). This will relieve the itching for hours.
You can also run hot water on it in the shower. As hot as you can take the water. My house water doesn't get hot enough, so I've heated up water in a pot to as hot as I could stand it.
This works just like the hair dryer.

Then use the Ivy Dri to dry it up.

I use to get it REALLY bad, ALL over! I use to cover myself in Calamine, and it never really seemed to be working! I've done all the tricks, Benadryl, oatmeal baths, etc. etc.
None of them have worked for me as well as the regimen I listed above.

It's important to wash the clothes, gloves, etc. that you were wearing when you got it. Otherwise you'll just keep recontaminating yourself when you touch them.

ToroLandscaper
06-03-2005, 12:57 AM
I have poison ivy horribly its all over mean on my back legs arms on top of my hands every where i went to the doctor and they gave me some cream crap that is suppost to help.........well it aint helpin at all i feel you pain (literally)

JimLewis
06-03-2005, 01:58 AM
SouthFlo,

I am having trouble believing you. Can you please post some pictures to corroborate your story? :p

PLM-1
06-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Yup, PI sucks! Ivy Dry and REALLY hot shower seems to work for me. I've had it bad WAY too many times.

jeffex
06-03-2005, 06:39 AM
I just read in a local paper a guy advertising for POISON IVY control. Brilliant. People are scared to death of the stuff and many don't even know what it looks like. I think its a great add on service. Ortho make a spray for it or roundup each plant. For those guys who have no fert. app. lisc. salt water will work just as good as roundup. The only downside is it re-crystalizes and can clog sprayers. It needs to be shook up daily. I use a handful of Hallite rock salt to a gal. of h20. If you think it wont work just look at the sides of roadways after they are salted in the winter!!

Shady Brook
06-03-2005, 06:41 AM
I have some posion ivy currently, but I use Zanfel and it gives instant relief. It causes it to go away very quickly, but takes a way the itch in seconds. It can be bought at some drug stores, or Walmart which often stocks it. I think it works far better then the Tecnu.

meathead1134
06-03-2005, 09:40 AM
I've has posion ivy twice this year, I use benadryl spray its in a white bottle, it cost six dollars at cvs and it works great. I always have a stock supply of this stuff and it works for me

Something D
06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
I just now got over it. I used zanfel....It did the trick. It is expensive. At wal-mart is was $35.00 for a 1oz tube. For me it was worth it becasue I know I will get it again this year.

South Florida Lawns
06-03-2005, 05:59 PM
No problem
Ivy pic 1
Ivy pic 2

wherebluegrassgrows
06-03-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm itching too. I started a steroid pack yesterday but to dry it up use the straight clorox and a Q- tip burns like hell but dries the stuff up fast. Rhuli works well but bleach is the best and cheapest.

Kate Butler
06-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Ok here's the scoop..... if you are normally sensitive to poison ivy, all of the previously mentioned things work fine. If, however,you are unusually sensitive (every doctor I've ever been to tells me they've NEVER seen anyone who reacts as badly to the stuff as I do) you must take PREVENTIVE measures. This means you should carry prednisone tablets (prescription) with you and at the first hint of contact, begin a 20 mg. (or stronger, depending on your doctors' assessment) taper (your doctor will explain the taper thing). The other thing that will really help is 1% or 2% hydrocortisone cream applied 3-6 times a day on each of the affected areas and rub it in well. This, too, is a prescription. I get the stuff in 1 lb. (yes, 16 oz.) jars.

Ironically, when I was a kid, I could roll naked in the stuff and never get it. Now just the merest brush of contact is enough to set it off. It's been my experience that every contact will require more (stronger dosage) of prednisone tablets (if that's the only way to control it for you)....and corticosteroids are something that should not be used without a doctors' supervision. They are also not for long term use unless there are additional underlying medical considerations (asthma, lupus, etc..). NOTE: these are not the sort of steroids you hear about in the sports world: those are anabolic steroids - a very different sort of chemical family.

I get poison ivy every year when I work in South Florida - no matter how careful I am. Long sleeves and pants, latex gloves, rubber knee-high boots - plenty miserable when the temps are in the 80's and 90's with humidity to match. I've personally had no luck with de-sensitivation therapy, but it does work for many folks. Good luck.

SodKing
06-03-2005, 08:49 PM
steriods work best....

digg
06-03-2005, 10:36 PM
It may not grow in Florida but in the north Honeysuckle vine is common, it sounds silly I know but we have used this remedy for many years and it works!!!
If you can find some Honeysuckle vine pull off some leaves and roll them in your hands till they feel wet then rub it on the poison Ivy. do that 2 or 3 times and the poison will be gone in a day or so.
I know I,m going to get a ribbing for this post but believe me, I don't suffer from poison ivy for more than a day or so.

Jozgators
06-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Broke out with poison ivy last thursday, all over forearms and fingers. Real bad looked like road rash. Used Zanfel and the iching stopped and the welts went down in two days. They are still not all gone but doctor couldn't believe I wasn't itching, and didn't give me anything. Just asked about the Zanfel. If you are intrested South Florida Lawns I found it at Publix, it isn't cheap but it really worked for me.

South Florida Lawns
06-03-2005, 11:30 PM
seems like as long as its clean and dry I'm fine. I got this prescription stuff the doc gave me and it seems to help a lot. I seem to have these outbreaks where i just can't stop itching. Kate you really get all dressed up to ward off any signs of this stuff? That must be a pain, I mostly run into it when I'm doing brush clearing.

HK45Mark23
06-03-2005, 11:52 PM
I have Poison Ivy for the second time this year.

I understand that antigens form in the skin under the places you have had Poison Ivy. They say the next time you get Poison Ivy you can break out in all the places you have had it before.

Well I never believed it till now. The last place I had it a few months ago broke out again with the new contamination. Under normal conditions using all the previously recommended cures it will still last a week to a month. That is the normal cycle. I do believe the bleach may have some merit.

The Benadryl and calamine are junk. But I do have to say that the Benadryl is good to stop the itch and put you to sleep.

Hydrocortisone steroid treatments, again, only relieve the itch and actually spread the poison ivy if you get it on the unaffected aria. Steroids are not the cure or the answer.

Today, I just remembered the cure I used when I was a kid and am now self medicated with it. Already in only a half hour it is 50% gone. I bet by tomorrow it will be totally gone.

By the way I love the hot shower and using a pulsating hand held shower to focus the stream on the affected aria; it works and is a great way to relieve the itching with out actually scratching. Never scratch, it is so bad for you skin and I never scratch.

I have known about a cure all the works for so many purposes it is unreal. It is totally organic, totally harmless; if you drink it the only bad effect you will endure is the runs for a day or two. The only bad thing about this stuff is if you get it in you eyes you could go blind. I still shower with it, wash my hair and face, I am just careful. It is an enzyme cleaning agent from Shaklee Nutritional Company.

Well here it is the cure all. It is called Basic H. I bath in it and then use it strait on the break outs and I apply it fairly liberally and voila it is going away. For more info pleas ask.

Who has heard of this product or company before?

Promise is works and fast.

PLM-1
06-03-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm not too sure if anybody knows this either, but if you are really allergic to PI you shouldn't eat Papaya. Eating that will cause about the same breakouts, except around your mouth and you will look like you've got some sorta STD for the hooker on the corner.

sheshovel
06-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Technu also makes a protectant you rub on before going into areas where you might get exposed.Works great as well as the regular Technu wash,
Remember to never set down your tools in areas that it's growing,don't touch any part of your clothing or face while working,And use gloves to take your clothes off and shoes off,throw them right in the wash and use bleach .
Never ever take a bath after exposure and don't use creams it just spreads it around.
I put on the protectant and when done working use the wash.
I havent had an outbreak in two years.Before I had poison oak 4 or 5 times a season.
Don't forget this stuff is in the soil too .

Kate Butler
06-04-2005, 08:10 AM
The reason that corticosteroids work is because they are BOTH anti-inflammatory and immuno-suppressive. My dermatologist has told me that the anti-inflammatory aspect is not as important as the immuno-suppressive aspect because a reaction to poison ivy is your bodys' way of telling you that your immune system is working (the worse the reaction, the more over-protective your immune system). It's also why those of us with asthma see a major decrease in breathing problems while we're being treated for the poison ivy. Also, your arthritis or bad back will improve (again, the anti-inflammatory thing). Still - it's not a long term solution if you are likely to be re-exposed again and again.

The prescription strength steroid cream WILL work. Just don't use it on weeping (wet from the rash) skin areas. Pat dry, then apply the cream. Bottom line is, if poison ivy makes you more than moderately miserable, a visit to a dermatologist is a good idea because treatment protocols have changed over the past few years. Better living through pharmaceuticals.

Folk wisdom says rub the affected area with crushed jewelweed leaves and stems (wild balsam, touch-me-not). It couldn't hurt and is reputed to work for some people. Remember, what works for some won't always work for everyone - everyones' body chemistry is different. Find what works for you and be grateful for the relief.

JOEWOOD
06-04-2005, 08:48 AM
http://troyb.com/photo/images/photos/00007220.jpg

***Saddleback Caterpillar***
The poisonous hairs or spins are hollow and connected to underlying poison glands. Contact with them causes a burning sensation and inflammation that can be as painful as a bee sting. The irritation can last for a day or two and may be accompanied by nausea during the first few hours. Usually the site of contact reddens and swells much like a bee sting.

I personally had run-ins 3 times with these monsters!

Joe... :cry:

hockeygoalie
06-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Um,
Kate is right on with her assessment. I would suggest calling your doc and asking him for a script for temovate. It is much stronger than hydrocortizone cream. short term use only.

JimLewis
06-05-2005, 02:28 AM
No problem
Ivy pic 1
Ivy pic 2

Ouch!!!! I didn't know you got it THERE!!! What were you doing? Peeing right on top of a big patch of it? I've never seen someone's stuff that inflamed before. That's gotta hurt man. Thank God the moderators removed those pictures quickly. That was horrible. My prayers are with you man. I hope you are able to restore normal function soon.

Likestomow
06-05-2005, 08:19 AM
TECHNU will wash off the Urushiol oil from the poison ivy plant. As far as I know, TECHNU is the only substance on the earth that can wash off the oil. It was formulated in the 50's to wash off radiation.

When I contact poison ivy, I wash with TECHNU and I wash often... 2 or 3 times if needed. I have found that washing is effective even as far as 24-36 hours after the first contact. It is far better to wash and remove the Uushiol and thus stop the reaction, than to tolorate and treat the symptoms.

Carry this TECHNU with you along with cotton pads and as soon as the itch begins, start treating yourself.