PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Mower spindles...

HighGrass
06-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Has anyone ever tried to overhaul the mower deck spindles in an Exmark? Mine are sealed but I'm thinking of pulling them this fall and rebuilding them. Why? Well, one of them is kind of noisy. There is no play in it but I figure it beats being in the middle of a lawn and having it go.

rick2752
06-03-2005, 08:17 PM
I knocked the bearings out of my spindles accidentally last winter when I was working on my mower. I went to dealer to buy bearings and they told me exmark quit selling just the bearings(Laser Z) because the when the spindle did give out it usually spun the race inside the aluminum housing. After that happened the spindles would not hold up for any length of time so they quit selling just the bearings. Check it out before you disassemble it. Maybe just buy a new spindle and throw it in the toolbox. Wouldnt be that bad of a field switch.

xcopterdoc
06-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Exmark uses a standard bearing in the spindles, available at just about any where bearings are sold. Same goes for the seal. Also the front caster wheels are standard bearings too. If you can get it apart, look for numbers on the bearings and go from there.

Restrorob
06-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Exmark uses a standard bearing in the spindles, available at just about any where bearings are sold. Same goes for the seal. Also the front caster wheels are standard bearings too. If you can get it apart, look for numbers on the bearings and go from there.

That was my thoughts ! I always get all my bearings from a bearing vendor,If I need them quick to get a commerical user going again I get them from the local NAPA store and they have most seals also.
But if you replace the bearings at any sound of noise there is less chance of spinning a housing out !

topsites
06-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Has anyone ever tried to overhaul the mower deck spindles in an Exmark? Mine are sealed but I'm thinking of pulling them this fall and rebuilding them. Why? Well, one of them is kind of noisy. There is no play in it but I figure it beats being in the middle of a lawn and having it go.

Wouldn't it depend if it's sfs or fix? Guessing since they're sealed that it's a 48" fixdeck, and I'm wondering if it's the same as the Toro 30197 fixdeck 48'?
If so, I've replaced them on mine 3-4 times, 1st time's a b!7ch but nowadays I got it down to an hour.
Let me know, I can post a how-to.
Far as the bearings, for mine they are anything but standard, it's a hi-velocity application sealed bearing that spins a LOT faster than the sfs, thou I'd like to find them someplace cheaper than the 50-dollar/set dealer price.
Peace out

Restrorob
06-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Wouldn't it depend if it's sfs or fix? Guessing since they're sealed that it's a 48" fixdeck, and I'm wondering if it's the same as the Toro 30197 fixdeck 48'?
If so, I've replaced them on mine 3-4 times, 1st time's a b!7ch but nowadays I got it down to an hour.
Let me know, I can post a how-to.
Far as the bearings, for mine they are anything but standard, it's a hi-velocity application sealed bearing that spins a LOT faster than the sfs, thou I'd like to find them someplace cheaper than the 50-dollar/set dealer price.
Peace out

If you replace a bearing by the number stamped on it,Its going to be the SAME bearing !!! And I wouldn't listen too hard to the dealer thats feeding you the hi-velocity crap just to sell you bearings.
As you see I've been doing this a few years and replaced many bearings in many types of equipment including air and electric tools.
Havn't had a problem yet. :cool2:

jeffex
03-10-2009, 06:24 AM
If you replace a bearing by the number stamped on it,Its going to be the SAME bearing !!! And I wouldn't listen too hard to the dealer thats feeding you the hi-velocity crap just to sell you bearings.
As you see I've been doing this a few years and replaced many bearings in many types of equipment including air and electric tools.
Havn't had a problem yet. :cool2:

another thanks to restrorob for this post. I am rebuilding my old toro fixed deck 36" walkbehind. The spindles were starting to make noise as the blades slowed to a stop. I took them off and my son pressed out the bearings at work. I ordered 4 new ones from fisher auto parts based on the number on the bearing. the guy at the parts counter said the number is the number ! should fit just fine so I pick them up today.

jeffex
03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
the bearings fit right in and are nice and smooth. a fairley easy fix. hurt my wallet $66 bucks but better than $100+ each for entire replacements. now i gotta' order a new motor