PDA

View Full Version : How do I change my blade belts? (pics)

Glenn J
06-03-2005, 08:12 AM
A little background first....

I bought this machine used. It's an older Bunton and the guy I bought it from did not have the manual. I even contacted Textron, but they could not find a manual(or any information) for my for the model I have. (figures).

Here's a shot of the deck with the cover removed:
http://img128.echo.cx/img128/4362/belts12am.jpg

Here's what has me a bit confused:
http://img128.echo.cx/img128/5518/belts23uh.jpg

I'm not sure exactly how these tensioners work. Given the warning, I don't just want to loosen the bolt and have everything go flying, or worse, have things go flying into my hands or fingers.

Thanks in advance....

Restrorob
06-03-2005, 12:32 PM
These are spring loaded idler assemblys,What I do is take a screw driver and place it on the pulley and hook the bottom edge of the belt and grab the blade and roll the belt off. To reinstall just install the new belt on all pulleys except the spindle then start the belt on this one and while holding it rotate the blade and it will pop right on. No need to take any bolts loose.

Glenn J
06-03-2005, 12:46 PM
That doesn't sound so bad. Beats messing with those funky tensioners. :cool2:

Bitter
06-03-2005, 03:19 PM
That doesn't sound so bad. Beats messing with those funky tensioners. :cool2:
nope, its pretty easy :) use a big flat blade screw driver tho, the more leverage the better.

topsites
06-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I would look at the end of that long shiny rod (both ends, lol), see if there isn't a screw or bolt thing on the end that you loosen, and that should loosen the belt tension.

Restrorob
06-04-2005, 05:26 AM
I would look at the end of that long shiny rod (both ends, lol), see if there isn't a screw or bolt thing on the end that you loosen, and that should loosen the belt tension.

These are spring loaded idler arms,The shiny rod is for the blade brake only.

SodKing
06-04-2005, 06:51 AM
Pull the round spring loaded tensioner back so the pulley loosens up and it will be easy to remove the belt. Those tensioners get tighter as the belt stretches. Trying to pry the belt off with a screwdriver could damage the pulleys as you leverage against them.

Restrorob
06-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Pull the round spring loaded tensioner back so the pulley loosens up and it will be easy to remove the belt. Those tensioners get tighter as the belt stretches. Trying to pry the belt off with a screwdriver could damage the pulleys as you leverage against them.

Your not prying the belts off,Your rolling them off. Been doing it over 14yrs. even on automobiles,Havn't damaged a pulley yet !!!
In fact there is a tool for the automotive feild that rolls the belts off.

bill w
06-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm not a mechanic, so humor me please.

It appears that if a socket wrench were placed on the spring loaded tensioner pulley bolt and rotated clockwise, the pulley would rotate to the point that the belt could be lifted out of the groove.

Restrorob
06-04-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm not a mechanic, so humor me please.

It appears that if a socket wrench were placed on the spring loaded tensioner pulley bolt and rotated clockwise, the pulley would rotate to the point that the belt could be lifted out of the groove.

These spring loaded idler assemblies have enough tension on them that putting a wrench on the standard grade pulley bolt could strip the threads or snap it off,Been there done that.

bill w
06-04-2005, 02:24 PM
These spring loaded idler assemblies have enough tension on them that putting a wrench on the standard grade pulley bolt could strip the threads or snap it off,Been there done that.

I'll have to take your word for it. The brake assy. bolts have grade markings, but I can't be sure on the pulley bolt.