PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

TBLC
06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Well had Jury Duty on Wednesday and guess what. I Got Picked. I tried to be a jerk, but I guess they saw right through that. It was only for 2 days, well more like 1 and a half. Thursday I managed to do a little catching up in the afternoon. Its raining now. I should be good by the weekend though.

Just wondering how many of you guys have had to do this, and how did you deal with it? Mainly solo operators and people with 1 or 2 helpers.

It was a civil case, and we found the defendant no responsible for the car accident. Took us about 15 minuets to come to that decision.

I made $21.40 and spent $10.00 on lunch.

Later Jimmy

chimmygew
06-03-2005, 12:19 PM
I always tell em I know the guy.

mowerman90
06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
I've been called for Jury Duty twice since I started my business in 1990. Each time I wrote a letter to the clerk of courts explaining that I was a 1 man operation and contractually obligated to mow on a specified day each week for my customers. I was excused each time. Just one more reason for you to have ALL of your customers under contract!

bob
06-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I got called in April last year. I called the and explained my situation. They were very understanding and ask if I could come in after my busy season. I went in January and got on a 3 day case.

scout_pete
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Don't commit perjury, but it's not that difficult to find some sort of a connection to most cases. When they go through the selection process, listen carefully for the names of attorneys, businesses involved, even policemen in the case. If you or someone in your family has been part of a similar situation and you might be biased, make sure you tell the judge. They don't want people on juries that don't want to be on juries. The real PITA is waiting for three hours and then being dismissed for the day. :angry:

pagefault
06-03-2005, 01:45 PM
I agree with the folks who suggest that you explain your position to the court. If you work at IBM, they can do without you for a few days (or longer). If you have your own business, things can get really screwed up if you're not there.

The last time I got called for jury duty, the judge brought this point up at the beginning and excused a bunch of people who were self-employed within the first 10 minutes we were there.

MOW ED
06-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I was on jury duty but it was in the winter. It was the experience of a lifetime. It was a murder case. I think it lasted 8 or 9 days. Thank God we weren't sequestered.
I went in with an open mind to all sides but in the end the verdict was guilty on all counts.
I would do it again but it does take an emotional toll when all is said and done.

Toy2
06-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Got picked once....was also being a jerk...second time, I told them I was Pro-law enforcement.....if you get arrested, you are guilty...didn't get picked.... :D

Del9175
06-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I got a letter saying I had to appear about 3 months ago. I threw it away. I don't have the time nor desire for that.

lawnman_scott
06-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I got a letter saying I had to appear about 3 months ago. I threw it away. I don't have the time nor desire for that.
that was smart.

lawnman_scott
06-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I've been called for Jury Duty twice since I started my business in 1990. Each time I wrote a letter to the clerk of courts explaining that I was a 1 man operation and contractually obligated to mow on a specified day each week for my customers. I was excused each time. Just one more reason for you to have ALL of your customers under contract!
I tried that, it didnt work. They sent me a letter back saying I had to come.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
06-03-2005, 06:55 PM
I just got my first questionnaire for jury duty. Took my sweet ass time filling it out and mailing it back in. I explained in the little part it gives you about special circumstances about my job and how I am a solo operator of a lawn care business. I wrote on there I have no problem being called December-March, other than that I cant afford to lose my business for a stupid jury trial. I hope it worked. I also put my couple MIPs on there hoping to desuede them from picking me.

pagefault
06-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Yep. I believe you can be arrested for that, if the prosecutor has nothing better to do.

From the Miami-Dade clerk's jury duty FAQ:

What happens if I do not report for jury duty?

Jurors not reporting for duty may be held in contempt of Court and/or fined up to $100.

http://www.miami-dadeclerk.com/dadecoc/Jury.asp#jury10

Reporting for jury duty is kind of critical to everyone's right to be judged by a jury of our peers.

pagefault
06-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I tried that, it didnt work. They sent me a letter back saying I had to come.

You have to report, but you can usually get dismissed by the judge prior to voir dire.

Mark McC
06-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Exactamente. If you're self-employed and the only person in your operation, you have an out. They cannot force you to screw up your livelihood for jury duty.

Precision
06-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I participate in Jury duty as is needed. I respect the need to be judged by my PEERS, not just the people too stupid or lazy to find and out.

I ask for the courts indulgence when I am at peak season. So far they have always rescheduled me if I had a concrete time that I could do it.

Went twice didn't get picked. Two boring days, but it helps the system function properly.

Jason Rose
06-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Actually jury duty wouldn't be bad in the winter. I have yet to ever be called. Does one have to be a registered voter to be called? Or is it anyone over 18? I know people that have been called upon several times but I have never been. And say if I do, being self employed and get excused can one than volunteer for later in the year? I dunno, I know it's the most boring thing in the world, but hey, have to do something to make some big $$$$ in the winter, right? lol! Plus it's our cival duty as a citizen in a democracy.

lawn and stump
06-04-2005, 07:34 AM
In Ct you can pick new date up to 11mos from when you get your first request to appear. so I picked December, only thing what if I'm out Plowing?

ProMo
06-04-2005, 09:08 AM
I just got a notice to appear for jury duty, wrong time of year for me.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
06-04-2005, 10:08 AM
In Michigan, they go by driver's liscense. If you have one, you may get picked. According to the questionnaire I got 3 weeks ago, it is done by random.