PDA

View Full Version : your 1st cuts free????

Pro-Scapes
06-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Wow I was just flipping through the paper while sitting at my pt job. I always check the services offered section to see what kinda ccrap the other lco's are pulling. I have seen everything from low price garuntees to prices quoted.

Today I saw
"XXXX lawncare. All yard work performed. YOUR 1ST MOWING IS FREE call xxx-xxxx"

Man what's up with that??? Anyone tried this or seen it? I would give 1 free with a year contract or 2 months pre paid but I think I'm gonna have to call and get my 5 acres mowed lol. I normally bushhog 4 of em but if he's cutting for free hey why not. Wonder if its working at all. I'm not that desperate. I'm running 80% right now and happy enough about that.

The C Man
06-03-2005, 12:48 PM
It's probably only free if they sign up for a certain number of cuts. It's not mentioned in the ad because it looks more enticing that way.

chimmygew
06-03-2005, 12:54 PM
I offer that to new customers. I let them know that if they cancel before the year is up, they owe me for it.

LHSlawnman86
06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
i would make sure you have them for the whole year or you will have people calling you up for the free cut then you never see them again.

lawnrangeralaska
06-03-2005, 03:14 PM
isn't that a law your have to have the whole meaning of the ad.. free mowing 1st time... terms one year contract ssomething like that.. ect.. its more ethical

Pro-Scapes
06-03-2005, 03:33 PM
i dont think its a law. not like you can have fine print in a new paper ad. I had a guy call him today and its if you prepay the 2nd cut the first is free.

unbelivable. If i did that I would be lucky to break even and they would have to be right next to an existing customer. Im hitting area churches hard with advertising. tons of em around with large grounds and they ALWAYS pay down here. Just gotta throw em like 10% off or something. My church gets 20% off. I cut it for 80 and same size if it was a house would be 100. Takes about 2 hours.

Remsen1
06-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I've done first cuts for free with paid second mowing and summer agreement, but only for people that I have specifically targetted. Houses near existing customers where I would like more customers. Houses so close that I wouldn't have to load and unload again.

I don't think I would advertise this in the newspaper though. ;)

angusman
06-04-2005, 02:38 AM
I let a potential new customer know that I will mow the site and if they are not happy with the job or price it is on the house. So far no takers on the house but quite a few new customers due to my confidence in workmanship. All have ended up paying the price I quote after servicing it the first time and not even wanting to negotiate price. One note is that these are all commercial sites, no residential.

Green-Pro
06-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I have offered new seasonal customers only the fifth mow and tenth mow free. Before anyone gets on the two free mows are nuts kick, check it out, I always view/walk the lawn before offering a quote. My quote is usually a bit high for our area to make up the difference of at least one mow. Once I begin working a property I do the best job I can and continue to do this (I like the compliments "almost" as much as the money) I figure if I retain these folks for next year then they are already at the price I desire with minimal effort, if I don't retain oh well theres other fish in the sea :p

-Geoff