PDA

View Full Version : Echo 260S

WoodBrothersLC
06-03-2005, 04:51 PM
We had a trimmer shoot the crap on us yesterday in the middle of a few big lawns far from home. When we finally got all of the work done yesterday, we headed over to the nearest Echo dealer and picked up the 260S trimmer. It was only $20 more than the 230 and it is definately worth the money so far. We have always used Stihl because of the fact that they have so much torque and are very reliable machines, but I think we've found a trimmer that will run alongside the FS80's.

kpyoung
06-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Good decision! We run a couple of these too. One is an older model (before they put the plastic safety tab on the handle). I used a cable-tie to permanently engage the switch on the newer one. I prefer the older unit, that is the one I always grab, seems to run a little stronger.

LwnmwrMan22
06-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Coulda spent the other other $20 and bought a 261t. It'll twist your wrist when you hit the throttle. :cool:

Turf Technologies
06-03-2005, 06:18 PM
MInes over three yrs old. Cant complain.

MercyMe
06-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Excellent trimmer.

I haven't tried the 261T yet but I heard it's awesome.

wildbilly1113
06-03-2005, 07:51 PM
I have bought 2 260s in the last 2 years . The last one lasted 2 months.The carbs are the problem.I will never buy Echo again except for the 650&750 blowers!

ed2hess
06-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I have bought 2 260s in the last 2 years . The last one lasted 2 months.The carbs are the problem.I will never buy Echo again except for the 650&750 blowers!
They put the carb adjustment back on and that made a lot of difference. If you have units that are a year old the adjustment should be on it and if not it only cost $50 for carb(with adj.)

MercyMe
06-03-2005, 11:41 PM

2 months?? Why didn't you take it back to the dealer to be repaired?

I have had no problems with my Echo trimmers outside of normal wear and tear and maintenance.

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
06-03-2005, 11:58 PM
I have a 2601 Echo and the new ( last year ) 260 echo trimmers. They run all day long even when I get caught in a rain storm! Best trimmer on the market in my opinion!!

261??? New trimmer? I will have to check this out...... Straight shaft or split????

ky-lawn-guy
06-04-2005, 12:12 AM
I am on my third echo trimmer, my newest is a 230 and its not nearly as strong as the older models. I absolutely loved my first two...SRM 2400 I think... but my new one always seems like its bogged down and doesnt have nearly the power the others had. It seems like something with the carb but i dont see any adjustment. I may have to switch to all stihl if this is how the newer echos are now....my stihl is still running VERY strong after over two years..they may be a little heavier but it may be worth the extra power.

packerbacker
06-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Woods, you use Arnolds dont you? Try the Toros. Great trimmers IMO.

Lawn Sharks
06-04-2005, 10:14 AM
The 260T is the high torque model that supposedly has 50% more torque than the 260. I fired one up at the dealer and it is a beast. I may sell the Stihl backup in the garage and put the 230 on backup and get one of these. Might have to do some arm exercises to handle the power though. :p

txlawnking
06-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Having used these extensivelly, I'll give my 2 cents...

1 They're pretty powerful, until you get the line over @8" long ( per side )..

2 They have terrible balance.. ( at least to me )

3 They do not run consistently: In other words, while running at wierd angles, edging, etc, they seemed to bog, sputter, and sometimes even die at times.

4 ( My big beef with them ) The shaft is just too dang short!! I'm aware that lots of other trimmers are too, but the the 261T is just too short for my height of 6'...

And for the life of me I can't figure out why Echo would build them with a cable drive, when they sell the 260s with a shaft.

I guess they aren't horrible or anything like that, they just don't really do it for me..Now if they put the gear box that makes it "torquey" in the first place on the 311 model, or even other brands for that matter, then you'd deffinetly have a winner!!

Cross breeding a "super" trimmer has crossed my mind.. Redmax 3000+ tourque gearbox anyone??

lawnwizards
06-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Having used these extensivelly, I'll give my 2 cents...

1 They're pretty powerful, until you get the line over @8" long ( per side )..

2 They have terrible balance.. ( at least to me )

3 They do not run consistently: In other words, while running at wierd angles, edging, etc, they seemed to bog, sputter, and sometimes even die at times.

4 ( My big beef with them ) The shaft is just too dang short!! I'm aware that lots of other trimmers are too, but the the 261T is just too short for my height of 6'...

And for the life of me I can't figure out why Echo would build them with a cable drive, when they sell the 260s with a shaft.

I guess they aren't horrible or anything like that, they just don't really do it for me..Now if they put the gear box that makes it "torquey" in the first place on the 311 model, or even other brands for that matter, then you'd deffinetly have a winner!!

Cross breeding a "super" trimmer has crossed my mind.. Redmax 3000+ tourque gearbox anyone??One thing you forgot, the 261t gets hotter then hell on your arm after using it for awhile. other than that and its weight after using it for awhile, its a beast of a trimmer.

txlawnking
06-08-2005, 02:57 AM
One thing you forgot, the 261t gets hotter then hell on your arm after using it for awhile. other than that and its weight after using it for awhile, its a beast of a trimmer.

You're right,not just the 261T, but lots of Echo's I've used seem to get nuclear hot..

LwnmwrMan22
06-08-2005, 12:15 PM

Cross breeding a "super" trimmer has crossed my mind.. Redmax 3000+ tourque gearbox anyone??

I agree with the length.

I've talked with a couple of different Echo reps and asked them why they don't build a longer trimmer head for the split shaft models.

I've got an uncle that's about 6'3", and if I'm behind he'll help trim once in a while.

The trimmers are just short enough where he has to trim slightly bent over.

Also it'd be nice if you had a longer shaft, (no comments from wives or girlfriends either) that you could get under trees and other areas that are just out of reach.

And the heat comment, I agree there too, but I've got a Shin 230 that does the same thing, all depends on how hard you're working that engine.

Personally I've cut my deflector shield on my 261t, just cut the lip off so I can run longer string. Up here trimming KY Bluegrass and fescues, I can trim about a 22" wide swath with this trimmer fairly smoothly.

Mine too wants to spit and sputter sometimes if you're not running it at full throttle.