PDA

View Full Version : Buying an X Mark, HP52" (LHP5223KC)

Rougewave
06-03-2005, 05:49 PM
A great site!
I am buying some more land and it's time to pull the trigger and buy one. What do you think? Would you get the Kohler 23HP or the Kawasaki 23HP with it? Any other input would be appreciated .
Thank you !

tacoma200
06-03-2005, 10:01 PM
What's the price difference?

Gilla Gorilla
06-03-2005, 10:56 PM
The Kohler is probably about $300 to $400 cheaper then the Kawi. I have the 23 Kawi on my 60" Lazer and it runs well but in the tall stuff around 8 - 10 inches or more it would be nice to have the 27 on board instead. But for your purposses I think the Kohler would be just fine and they have come along way from years ago and their bad rep.

Envy Lawn Service
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't really think it matters which. But I say that with no experience with the 23hp Kohler in this application. So I will say this.... I REALLY like the 23hp Kawasaki in this application. Exmark sets it up well and I love the sound of it behind me while it's working. It has that diesel sewing machine like sound going on. It's also really strong... way stronger than the 21hp Kawasaki I have on another brand of machine.

The only thing I don't like about this setup is that it is very thirsty.
It burns a LOT of gas per hour. Both of my Kawasaki's burn in excess of 1 gallon per hour.

South Florida Lawns
06-04-2005, 12:55 AM
or take a look at the EFI its one sweet machine.

Rougewave
06-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the input ! :cool:
I am leaning toward the Kohler 23HP.
I am thinking the 52 inch deck will alow me to get closer to trees and rocks (boulders). The 48" has no part of the deck that extends beyound the wheels. Is this "proper rationale?"
Thanks again,
Robert

tacoma200
06-05-2005, 05:32 PM
I have a full size Lazer Z (as series) with the 23 hp kohler. I don't think its much more expensive than the smaller Z's. The 60 inch deck makes trimming a breeze and the 23 is plenty of power for the average yard. Some yards I mow every two weeks and it goes thru them fine (I keep my blades sharp). I did tackle a yard that had just been bushoged last week and had very thick thatch, so much I was pushing it like a bulldozer. I had to go over it slow a couple of times but thats the exeption rather than the rule. Thats when a 27 or 28 hp would have come in handy but most of the time the 23 will mow at full speed in 1 or 2 weeks growth. Always get the widest deck you can and better to have too much hp than not enough even though I have been happy with 23..

Envy Lawn Service
06-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Thank you for the input ! :cool:
I am leaning toward the Kohler 23HP.
I am thinking the 52 inch deck will alow me to get closer to trees and rocks (boulders). The 48" has no part of the deck that extends beyound the wheels. Is this "proper rationale?"
Thanks again,
Robert

Yes, that is the proper thought process. It does provide trim ability. But choosing this option is not without trade-off. It does scalp a lot easier, but not terribly. The weight distribution is not equal due to the offset deck and castors. This does not matter at all if you don't have steep hills. The ride does buck you a little more due to the castor offset. But lots of ZTR's ride a lot worse shock wise.

However, the biggest thing is if you mow any tall stalky grasses like Bahia or non-turf type tall fescues, ect. Anything with fast/tall upright stemy growth. In my opinion, the front castor offset is too extreme to the right. From the castor tire to the discharge chute, the 52" HP really struggles to cut the taller stemy stuff. The grass pushes over and to the right. This causes it to miss and leave a mowhawk of stringers down the right side.

The Toro Z450 series 52" and the Hustler Mini Z 52" are both set up better as far as castor placement in my opinion. But not everyone has to deal with these types of grasses. It cuts perfectly on lush turf.

Envy Lawn Service
06-05-2005, 05:49 PM
I have a full size Lazer Z (as series) with the 23 hp kohler. I don't think its much more expensive than the smaller Z's. The 60 inch deck makes trimming a breeze and the 23 is plenty of power for the average yard. Some yards I mow every two weeks and it goes thru them fine (I keep my blades sharp). I did tackle a yard that had just been bushoged last week and had very thick thatch, so much I was pushing it like a bulldozer. I had to go over it slow a couple of times but thats the exeption rather than the rule. Thats when a 27 or 28 hp would have come in handy but most of the time the 23 will mow at full speed in 1 or 2 weeks growth. Always get the widest deck you can and better to have too much hp than not enough even though I have been happy with 23..

All good advice. I think I'd go for the regular Lazer Z though for the canister air filter and better tires all the way around. I have seen the full size 23/60 Lazer Z priced at less than the 52" HP. Same with the Toro.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 07:28 PM
All good advice. I think I'd go for the regular Lazer Z though for the canister air filter and better tires all the way around. I have seen the full size 23/60 Lazer Z priced at less than the 52" HP. Same with the Toro.

The filter on the HP is the same as the Lazer,The tires are the same tires just a different size due to weight distribution, and no you won't buy a standard lazer for less than an HP.
A lazer AS or a CT yes, not a standard lazer.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 07:33 PM
By the way either engine will serve you well.
The 23 Kohler runs well on both the Lazer and the Lazer HP, the 23's haven't missed a beat so far.

Envy Lawn Service
06-06-2005, 08:28 PM
The filter on the HP is the same as the Lazer,The tires are the same tires just a different size due to weight distribution, and no you won't buy a standard lazer for less than an HP.
A lazer AS or a CT yes, not a standard lazer.

I got you confused. Let me explain better. We were talking about trimming ability... and the 52" Lazer HP has it, while the 48" Lazer HP has very little... Then Tacoma suggested maybe stepping up to the 23/60 Lazer AS....

I came in there and agreed. But what I was saying is... if I were going to step up, I would probably step a little further up and go above the Lazer AS to the standard 23/60" Lazer Z. The standard Lazer has better tires all the way around, better air filtration, foot lift assist, ect.

Oh, and yes, sometimes you can find the 23/60 Lazer Z for less than the 23/52 Lazer HP. This is dependant on what has went on sales wise for the dealer himself usually.

You know, the normal stuff. Last year more people took the 23/60 for the savings. So they ordered plenty. But this year more people went for the 27.... and now they have half a dozen 23's left over.... and the dealer knows that floor plan is going to run out August/Septemer.

You know, that sort of thing. No win situation for the dealer sort of stuff. So they guy who doesn't mind getting a mower that's a bit on the weak side can often pick up a deal.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 08:46 PM
I got you confused. Let me explain better. We were talking about trimming ability... and the 52" Lazer HP has it, while the 48" Lazer HP has very little... Then Tacoma suggested maybe stepping up to the 23/60 Lazer AS....

Yes, My mistake I didn't see the AS part.....

I came in there and agreed. But what I was saying is... if I were going to step up, I would probably step a little further up and go above the Lazer AS to the standard 23/60" Lazer Z. The standard Lazer has better tires all the way around, better air filtration, foot lift assist, ect.

Agreed again when going from the Lazer AS to the Lazer .................

Oh, and yes, sometimes you can find the 23/60 Lazer Z for less than the 23/52 Lazer HP. This is dependant on what has went on sales wise for the dealer himself usually.

You know, the normal stuff. Last year more people took the 23/60 for the savings. So they ordered plenty. But this year more people went for the 27.... and now they have half a dozen 23's left over.... and the dealer knows that floor plan is going to run out August/Septemer.

You know, that sort of thing. No win situation for the dealer sort of stuff. So they guy who doesn't mind getting a mower that's a bit on the weak side can often pick up a deal.

I still would need to see a paid invoice to believe this, however I won't argue the point, I'm sure there are some dealers out there that need to get out of a tough situation..............

Envy Lawn Service
06-06-2005, 09:09 PM
I still would need to see a paid invoice to believe this, however I won't argue the point, I'm sure there are some dealers out there that need to get out of a tough situation..............

I know where 3 are right now at good dealer doing financially well so far as I know. The sticker price marked is $7,199. I didn't ask that particular dealer his prices. But I don't know where a 23/52" Lazer Z HP can be had for anywhere near that.

65hoss
06-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Its true, you can get the standard Lazer for cheaper than the Lazer HP 52". That is eXmark's biggest demand machine. MSRP from eXmark for the 52" HP with 23 kawi is like $7999 now. Maybe a little lower, I forgot the exact number they told me.

I'm not going to get into the other debate stuff. Makes my head hurt these days to think that hard. The over-analyizer has some good and over done points. :p Maybe it is due to his conditions. So, glad to see you got an hp envy. We can compare notes at the end of the season.

tacoma200
06-09-2005, 03:03 PM

I paid $6900 for my Lazer Z AS with 60" deck and 23 hp Kohler. The foot lift assist was an Extra $79. But that was in 2004 so not sure about this year since they have stepped up to a 25 hp on the AS series. I dont mind the smaller air filter. Paid $180 or so for the suspension under the seat which is a must on any Z in my opinion. I like mine but every one has different needs.

dvmcmrhp52
06-09-2005, 08:16 PM
I paid $6900 for my Lazer Z AS with 60" deck and 23 hp Kohler. The foot lift assist was an Extra $79. But that was in 2004 so not sure about this year since they have stepped up to a 25 hp on the AS series. I dont mind the smaller air filter. Paid $180 or so for the suspension under the seat which is a must on any Z in my opinion. I like mine but every one has different needs.

Let me just clarify a few things..........

First, a Lazer AS isn't in the same class as a standard Lazer.Apples to oranges.

Second, when I speak of a Lazer I am talking about a 60" deck not a 52". Buying a 52" Lazer just doesn't make any sense to me considering the extra trim capabilities of a 52" deck on an HP.

Third, I can buy a 23/52 Lazer HP for $7000, I most assuredly cannot buy a 23/60 Lazer for less than that amount.

Fourth, Markets vary quite a bit by region as we all see with pricing info that is posted. Maybe some folks can buy a 23/60 lazer for less than a 23/52 Lazer Hp in their area, but certainly not around here.Sometimes the brainpan forgets there are other areas of the country posting on here.......................... ;)
:cool:

tacoma200
06-10-2005, 04:45 AM
[QUOTE=dvmcmrhp52]Let me just clarify a few things..........

First, a Lazer AS isn't in the same class as a standard Lazer.Apples to oranges.

I don't agree with that statment, and I have talked to Exmark in detail about the differences. I mow along side my buddy with a 28 hp Z and we finish in about the same amount of time and the cut is identical. Of course he would have an advantage in overgrown grass with the extra 5 ponies. The As series is a great no frills full size Z. Just my opinion.

John Gamba
06-10-2005, 07:00 AM
I took my 04 lazer hp out on a 3 acre lawn yesterday. I was very impressed with the mowers ability to clime with the trac-vac on and no weights on the front.

This mower will keep up with a 60" lazer no sweat. I'm going to have some more fun with it today!!!

Oh envy!!! see you got the correct mower :cool2: It will get better gas mileage when it hits 60 Hours or so. Good luck :waving:

John

Howdy Eric :waving:

Rougewave
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Thank you again for all the info ! We are very close to closing on our next property :blob3:
Service after the sell seems to be the biggest issue..........makes sense. Living in a small town has its drawbacks , meaning the slection is not as big. But the plus still out weigh the minus :cool2: