PDA

View Full Version : stinky smelly deck

Guthrie&Co
06-03-2005, 11:47 PM
arfter a few days mowing in wet grass i have noticed a horendous smell coming from my mower. i have cleaned the deck and washed it. where is that smell coming from?

Jason Rose
06-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Hummm, you better check for dead animals stuck somewhere. I get no smell off any of my machinery really. Now if I leave some moist deck scrapings on the garage floor or in the trash can, man look out! That's a stench that can make your eyes water.

Lawn Masters
06-04-2005, 12:01 AM
A dead animal is a horrible smell when it starts to rot, trust me, I've been around enough roadkill to know.

Dried grass, not so bad. I kinda like that smell.

If its anything else, I cant imagine what could make a mower deck smell, I've only smelled dried grass when it comes off the deck.

There arent too many smells from nature that can bother me, or make me want to lose my breakfast, I dont know I'm just strange.

RKISTNER1
06-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Clean the cat's litter box..it will go away!

Envy Lawn Service
06-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Look for wet grass packed up in other areas under the mower.

It's been wet so long in NC that the clippings already stink very shortly after a cut.
Leave them piled up in a nook somewhere a day or so and whew!

MMLawn
06-04-2005, 12:45 AM
It's been wet so long in NC

Not here in the Triad it hasn't. I've been begging for rain as we are 6 inches behind for the year and grass is starting to show it some only just now since Wed have we received any real measurable rainfall and the past 3 days we findly got 1.48" but need more.

Envy Lawn Service
06-04-2005, 12:55 AM
I just recently kicked up the first bit of dust here since the '02 season....
Now, it has rained here all week.

SproulsLawnCare
06-04-2005, 03:32 AM
If you have it parked in your garage, (and if it is anything like mine) you may want to open a window or something and turn on a fan. My garage leaks around the foundation and it stays a little damp in there. Between the moisture and heat building up in it,any grass on the mower begins to smell rotten in a few hours. If I can get the air moving in there it dries out enough to stop smelling.

Guthrie&Co
06-06-2005, 12:59 PM
i went out the next day and cleaned it again. some grass was left behind from the first cleaning and it had started to mold. so i took some bleach/ water mix and sprayed the deck down and i removed the grass. you could really tell when that bleach hit the funk. it was gone within seconds.

egbaker
06-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Another option would be to check your clutch and clutch adjustment. It may be slipping due to the heavy cutting and may need adjustment.
I have had cars that when you slip the clutch it smells really bad, sort of like a cross between dead animal and wet dog. Boy did it stink.
Do this if the cleaning didn't help.
Maybe check around the pulleys, belts and bearings. There may be a hot spots with some contamination there also.
Remember, try not to spray water on hot bearings(leave the machine off for a while). They may crack or suck in water when they cool down.

liquidforcedude7
06-06-2005, 09:56 PM
A few days ago I noticed a foul odor on my mower after It had been sitting in my front yard for like half an hour. Now Im not the most observant guy and I found that there was a huge piece of dog sh!t sitting on top of the deck. There was an LCO across the street that I know, knows im in business so Im thinking it was one of them.