PDA

View Full Version : My lawns look like crap

DynaMow
06-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Any advice, comments, or questions are welcomed, as LawnSite.com seems to be the place where I get the best information on how to lawn and landscape.
The grass in NE Ohio seams to be growing at record paces, especially three weeks ago until last week. Well everytime I mowed (every 7 days) it was green, lush, and long. Probably cutting to low (now I think that, didn't then) 2 3/8". Today I took off the double blades and raised my height to 3' and took off the double blades and kept the high lift blades on. They just look all brown, still growing like crazy and haven't had a whole lot of rain lately. Lets talk!

Nathan 281
06-04-2005, 01:17 AM
same here cutting at 3" and cutting off 4-5" spend extra time blowing but still does no good :realmad: then they want you to bag it for the same price :angry:

walshdevo10
06-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Hey! Not sure exactly what grass you got up there, but the first reply stated their cutting height was 3" and they are cutting off 4" to 5". WOW, if your cutting 4" off every week you are way too low. For healthy grass I wouldn't recommend cutting more than 2" off each week, maybe 3" if it's bahia or fescue.

olderthandirt
06-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Any advice, comments, or questions are welcomed, as LawnSite.com seems to be the place where I get the best information on how to lawn and landscape.
The grass in NE Ohio seams to be growing at record paces, especially three weeks ago until last week. Well everytime I mowed (every 7 days) it was green, lush, and long. Probably cutting to low (now I think that, didn't then) 2 3/8". Today I took off the double blades and raised my height to 3' and took off the double blades and kept the high lift blades on. They just look all brown, still growing like crazy and haven't had a whole lot of rain lately. Lets talk!
Combination of to short of a cut to start with, lack of rain and high heat, and to much nitrogen adding that top growth.

The Captain
06-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Good point Mac, on the nitrogen and the top growth. Summer afternoon heat will dry it off and out quick.

Jim

wormburner
06-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Dont cut off so much and go to 5 day cuts if you can until the grass quits growing so fast.also we sharpen the blades Every day when the grass is like that.If you look at the grass and its just the tips turning brown then you need to sharpen your blades.

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-11-2005, 08:30 AM
I love it when people say "just go to 5-day cuts". I can't do that without getting permission from the customers so that I get paid for the extra service. In most a cases it would happen. My guess is that if they wanted 5-day service they would have asked for it. So I price the weekly service accordingly to cover the extra work in the Spring and the quicker visits later in the summer......

Derek

jeffex
06-11-2005, 09:42 AM
My mowers will only go to 3.75" and sometimes you cut the grass below the chlorophyll line of the grass and they seem yellowish when the grass is growing so fast. They will green up as the chlorophyll shoots to the top of the blade. you may have a fungus problem like red thread or dollar spot. My own lawn got this because I was watering late in the eve. after I got home. I applied a fungicide and solved the problem. I don't need to water now with all the rain

LawnScapers of Dayton
06-11-2005, 10:22 AM
rain........what's that?????

out till dark
06-11-2005, 10:45 AM
When you get hot days with no rain plus the high humidity and mowing too low your lawn is going to look bad. I have my applicator apply lesco 24-5-11
50% scu with 2% iron and mow at 4 inches during these conditions.Get your lawns fertilized and it will cure your problem.Timing fert applications is the key to keep them green.When you see red thread fertilize and it will grow it out. This lawn was fertilized 10 days ago and mowed on tue of this week.

you can still see some red thread but it looks way better than it did 2 weeks ago.

kc2006
06-11-2005, 10:53 AM
like everyone is saying its because of the heat. We've had i think 8 days now of 90 degree or hotter here compaired to last year we never got over 88 and that was for one day. Almost all the lawns around here are looking like crap, I mow them at 3.25 to keep them from getting too brown.