PDA

View Full Version : GD SS belts blowing up

lafrance4078
06-04-2005, 09:17 AM
I have a 04 Great Dane SS 52 inch with 17hp kawi. At 36 hours, the drive belt blew up. Took it to the shop, and they said that it may have been a bad belt. They said that there was nothing wrong with the mower. Now, at 44 hours the belt is coming apart again. Not sure what is going on here. I took a look at it yesterday, and the side with the belt tensioner on it looks like it is rubbing the hydro pully. I may be designed like this. I am not sure. Please let me know what you guys think.

txlawnking
06-04-2005, 11:53 AM
My Old SS did the exact same thing. It was the idler that is bolted to the frame of the machine. On mine, it wasn't tightened, and the pulley was basically just flopping around and allowed the blt to get grenaded.. Also, if the spring loaded idler deal is rubbing, that deffinitely ain't cool, look to see if it is loose as well.

txlawnking
06-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I just re-read your post, and it sounds like you need to light a fire under your dealers @ss.. Mine grenaded at @ 20 something hrs.. I tried to get them to warranty it, And was told "belts aren't covered by warranty" and treated very rudely.. I just fixed it myself with a belt from the local Auto parts store, and swore to never buy another thing from that dealer.

lafrance4078
06-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Just droped it off at the dealer. I told him what happened. I spoke with the service manager and told him that I wasn't going to pay for a new belt or to fix the problem. Wow, even got a mower to use until mine is fixed. Guess we'll see how well the Scag Tiger Cub does. I'll let you know what the prob was.

GirlzMowinLawnz
05-27-2006, 02:06 AM
I worked at a lawn mower shop for the last year and learned a few things about the Great Dane Mowers..... One being that they knew they had belt issues. I talked to the rep myself about our Danes having belt issues and he stated that they are looking into replacing all corded belts with kevlar coated belts as they last longer and are made to take the beating that these mowers are under. I have a 36" Scamper, 36" Super Surfer & a 52" Super Surfer. They all have Kawasaki engines and I love them! But..... the belt issue and Kawasaki is a pain to deal with any warranty issues on the engine. The best I could tell you if you ever need warranty work your Kaw. to document all oil changes and follow the user manual like a bible. Kaw. will not warranty out much for their engines.