PDA

View Full Version : stihl fs85 trimmer head vibrating bad

lawnchopper
06-04-2005, 10:38 AM
its has alot of hrs on it and ive noticed a vibration getting worse to were i can feel it in my hands afterwards. Is this a gear going bad???
I didnt know you have to grease them until recently so perhaps the damage is already done. I went ahead and greased it but no help. Its shot i take it?????

Bitter
06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
im not familiar with that model, but generic things that can make a head shake are
1. the counterblance is missing (assuming its single line)
2. only one line is coming out (assuming its 2 line)
3. the line is poorly wound inside (not gonna cause bad vibration like you said)

i have an old old old ryan trimmer that shook like heck, so i bought a new head for it and that fixed it, turns out it was missing that lil counter balance the balances it against the length of spinning trimmer string.

i'm more of a motor man, but it doesnt hurt to check the really simple things.

one last thing, please buy some anti vibration gloves! all of that constant vibration can desensitize your hands over time, which is really no good at all.

walshdevo10
06-11-2005, 12:26 AM
I second the advice on anti-vibration gloves. My hands would go numb at night and wake me up with pain. Got some gloves and over time it has gone away. Of course you get the comments like "ya trying not to get blisters". I ordered some online...can't remember the brand and it's worn off the gloves so just google anti-vibration gloves.

ed2hess
06-11-2005, 12:33 PM
That is a big trimmer! You might try the Echo 261T(high torque) on your next purchase, I think they have low vibration.

Bitter
06-11-2005, 03:15 PM
i just bought a refurbed Ryobi SS30 30CC 1HP trimmer from the biglots that i work at. it runs wonderful, can use attachments, and has quite a bit of power to it. its no where near commercial grade, but for $75 i couldnt pass it up. that and my other 2 that were pulled from the trash need parts or carb rebuilds.

walshdevo10
06-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I run a Stihl FS250R with no vibration at all, and it's nearly 41cc.

shortgut
06-15-2005, 01:30 AM
mine does it sometimes when the weedeater line get low on the head or one side of line in the head has less line than the other once respool twine it quits

scottishmaximus
06-16-2005, 10:09 AM
make sure your trimmer head has the two metal pieces that your lines come out of. Don't know what they are called but know they can be easily lost.

topsites
06-17-2005, 11:05 PM
I had an fs85 with that problem and I also did not know you had to grease the head. Ghey dealers never told me and I had to question them repeatedly before one finally admitted that it MIGHT need it but they never carried the grease so it had to be special ordered.... grrrr ...
Now I never fixed mine because it was also losing compression and by the end of the year, I had a disposable item. If yours is still in good shape, perhaps try replacing the head ESPECIALLY if you plan on buying another stihl then at least you have a spare part if that doesn't fix it put the old one back on.

By the way, make sure you buy the special tube of grease made by Stihl as it screws onto the hole and then you just squeeze :)

Of course it could also be a bent shaft OR the piece that revolves inside the shaft needs greasing as well, hehehe...