PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run w/b's only

Smitty58
06-04-2005, 04:40 PM
We bought a bew Ferris 1500 this yr and have not been happy. Now we are thinking about swithching to 2 w/b's instead of 1 z and 1 w/b. We have had a few customers complain about the z and the quality of cut is just not there. So we are wondering if 2 hydro walks would be better. I like the Exmarks and that is what I'm leaning towards. We do residentials although we want to get into small commercial props so do we really need a fast z? What do you think? What kind of prices are the Exmark hydro w/b's?

Bret's Lawn Care
06-04-2005, 07:19 PM
just looked ayt a exmark 48 for 5399
give me which ones you want cause i have a price list for all exmarks

South Florida Lawns
06-04-2005, 07:30 PM
But just switched to a Z Master and have not had any complaints what so ever. The cut quality I think is a big improvement and my customers have been pleased as well.

Smitty58
06-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm looking for the best bang for my buck basically ,but I want 2. We have 1 36 belt MTD Pro that actually cuts real nice that we could keep I just hate the pistol grips.

Doc Pete
06-04-2005, 07:46 PM
OK. This what I have. All Hustler SWBs. To get the BS over, yeah they are a bit longer, so what??? They fit in the trailer and length is absolutely nothing when mowing. Furthermore, being longer they track better.
I have one 48 for walking only, one 48 for walking or velkying, and one 54 for only velkying.
We smoke all the guys with riders. Even the 54/velky is great on a 40x40 lawn.
For what its worth, the 48 is a full 49, also most regular 48s are actually only 47.5. Next, the 54 is a full 55, while other 54s are only 53.5.
The 48 is 23 hp and 54 is 25 hp. These machines are every bit equal to a ZTR in power and more.

Turf Technologies
06-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Lesco makes a 52hydro WB 19 kaw with a war charriot for 4000$.

Tn Lawn Man
06-04-2005, 08:37 PM
We smoke all the guys with riders.

I don't see how.

I have both and except on very very small lawns the Zs always out perform walk behinds.

Walk behinds are great for hills/inclines and sensitive areas that you don't want the weight of a Z to be on.

But, other than that a Z is far superior.

I personally love walk behinds and they definitely have a purpose in lawn care but....

TURF DOCTOR
06-04-2005, 10:07 PM
I will back him on this z are a thrid faster but i have some residential that are picky my wb make the cut look better.

Doc Pete
06-04-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't see how.

I have both and except on very very small lawns the Zs always out perform walk behinds.

Now why would that be??
We're talking WB with a good velky, yes???
Both have the same top end (for normal mowing), and the WB/velky turns quicker than the Z. So, why should it be slower??

DLS1
06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
OK. We smoke all the guys with riders.

I will ride any day than standing on a sulky. Sulky is better than walking but bouncing around on a sulky has got put a strain on your knees. \

No my back does not bother me when riding since I have a Hustler ztr with those great riding springy seats.

I Hustler ztr beats out a Hustler WB everyday. :D

cclllc
06-04-2005, 10:52 PM
I have a JD gs45.and i would use it more if it would stripe better. I don't like the wheel marks it leaves.

Doc Pete
06-04-2005, 11:37 PM
I Hustler ztr beats out a Hustler WB everyday. :D

I know...... I just need to tell my SWB's that... :cool2:

PaulJ
06-04-2005, 11:55 PM
My main mower is a 48 hustler super walk with and bullrider. It will do anything a 48" Z will do and more. My other mower is a 36 walk that gets used on 1 yard wiht a 46" gate. (that's 1 more ysrd than last year) I use the hustler super walk on anything from a couple thousand sq ft to over an acre. I don't have the space or money for another big mower NO z will do what the hustler walk does.
that's what works for me.

PaulJ
06-04-2005, 11:56 PM
oops! double post. sorry

Smitty58
06-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Paul, I've looked at the Hustler site and the swb looks real nice. What do they cost?

jeffex
06-05-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm a walkbehind fan. In my area the big companies all want big properties to ride their z's on. Prices per cut don't go up much from the 1/4 acre lawns because of competition for lazer lawns. I have been cutting for many years with a 48" toro belt drive that has paid for itself many times over. All the startups in my area have the same goal to get unough lawns to buy a Z and cut wide open lawns. This leaves some very PROFITABLE lawns ripe for the picking.

Doc Pete
06-05-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm a walkbehind fan. In my area the big companies all want big properties to ride their z's on. Prices per cut don't go up much from the 1/4 acre lawns because of competition for lazer lawns. I have been cutting for many years with a 48" toro belt drive that has paid for itself many times over. All the startups in my area have the same goal to get unough lawns to buy a Z and cut wide open lawns. This leaves some very PROFITABLE lawns ripe for the picking.

Yes, that's interesting. I know with my WB's, the guy's treat them rough. I'd be afraid to think of one the guy's on an $9,000 rider that had a high upkeep price as compared to a good WB, at half the price, with very little upkeep.
Also, as has been said, 2 guy's with WB's (same price as one Z) can make more money than one guy on a Z because the Z guy's can't charge that much more to mow.

And, like you, let the Z's have the big lawns... It's so boring to just sit hour after hour mowing 4, 5, 10 acres at a clip.......Not for me....

jeffex
06-05-2005, 11:58 AM
everyone wants to "move up " to the big lawns but I can get the same price for a 1/4 acre as guys get with their z on a 1/2 or even an acre

Big Hoss
06-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't run wb only but to let you know I bought a Super Mini Z last year and the SWB from Hustler this year . The Super Mini Z has 240 hrs and the SWB already has 183 . Kinda easy to let you know what my favorite has become . If there is any rough or uneven ground I can make better time with the SWB .
I just wished Hustler would resume making thier Sulky that gives you the ability to either stand up or sit down for the SWB , Then I believe the SWB would be the best choice all the way around.
Big Hoss

all ferris
06-05-2005, 01:44 PM
What the heck is the difference between a walkbhind and a ztr? The only MAJOR difference is that you can sit on the ztr (which IMO is much kess fatiguing). They both have 4 wheels, two hydro pumps and motors, engine, blades, belts and so on. Simply put, there is a place for both types. ZTRs will be more productive in certain yards and WBs will be better in others. I know because I have just about every size mower made to cut yards that range in size from 4000 sqf to 4 acres+. There is a correct tool for every job.

Doc Pete
06-05-2005, 03:20 PM
everyone wants to "move up " to the big lawns but I can get the same price for a 1/4 acre as guys get with their z on a 1/2 or even an acre

Honestly, I believe that's why I'm still happy with my SWB's. 99% of my lawns are 1/2 acre. Getting in and out in 30 minutes or less with blowing and trimming means I'm mowing for about 15 minutes per job.
IOW, I don't have a chance to get tired........

PaulJ
06-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Paul, I've looked at the Hustler site and the swb looks real nice. What do they cost?

I bought mine about a year and a half ago so I don't know what the prices are now. I probably could have bought a small light duty ztr for less and I know there are cheapper walkbehinds out there. But I researched mowers for 2 years and the hustler super walkd behind 48" was the only one that had all the features and details I wanted.
Check with your local dealer for prices, or check the hustler forum here