PDA

View Full Version : snakes

webfoot
06-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I got a call from a guy this morning wanting me to mow his week-end get a way thing. Its not a house but more like a big building looking over a big drop.It has a deck on the back of it that had grass grown up a little over your ankles.Anyway when I started weedeating it I ran out two snakes.I think they were cow-suckers but not sure.Anybody else ever see snakes when they are mowing?

Travis'lawnsn'at
06-04-2005, 06:52 PM
yep, but no bites

South Florida Lawns
06-04-2005, 07:06 PM
But they don't bother me, There are a lot of Pygmy Rattlesnakes, Diamondbacks, Black Racers, and Cottonmouths. Yeah they will all bite only the racer is non poisonous and thats the most common.

liquidforcedude7
06-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Ive found 3 in my own backyard and none anywhere else. If I catcha glimpse of them they dont live much longer....A hoe is my weapon of choice.....I hate snakes

PLM-1
06-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I got a call from a guy this morning wanting me to mow his week-end get a way thing. Its not a house but more like a big building looking over a big drop.It has a deck on the back of it that had grass grown up a little over your ankles.Anyway when I started weedeating it I ran out two snakes.I think they were cow-suckers but not sure.Anybody else ever see snakes when they are mowing?

What are cow-suckers? I run into snakes all the time. Don't bother me...they eat up the stupid bugs!

webfoot
06-04-2005, 08:13 PM
They are black and brown a little bit.Kind of like a gator snake but longer and darker.I don't like any snake much but I usually don't try to kill these.Man they almost give me a heart attack when I walk up on them.

liquidforcedude7
06-04-2005, 08:18 PM
I havent been fond of them after this one time I was playing paintball in the woods and I squated down right next to one. And being me I shot it like 20 times and that just like pissed him off so I ran out and got shot like 30 times.

ProCare Lawn Service
06-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Evary now and then I run across a snake. I enjoy it though, makes the day more interesting.

geogunn
06-04-2005, 08:58 PM
I think they were cow-suckers....

dude--do you think those are the same snakes known a "nipple-yankers" in new jersey?

GEO :confused:

Itsgottobegreen
06-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Current score
Mowers 7
snakes 0

The only snake I like, is a dead snake.

Up North
06-04-2005, 10:35 PM
dude--do you think those are the same snakes known a "nipple-yankers" in new jersey?

GEO :confused:

GEO, I'm stealing one of your lines...Is that a trick question?!?! :D

Buck

gogetter
06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
But they don't bother me, There are a lot of Pygmy Rattlesnakes, Diamondbacks, Black Racers, and Cottonmouths. Yeah they will all bite only the racer is non poisonous and thats the most common.

Just for the record, you have a LOT of snake species other then the racer there in Florida that aren't venomous, and are quite common.
:)

allenh60
06-04-2005, 10:49 PM
I run into snakes pretty often. I think they are cool. Never been bit by a poisonous one Thank God. I catch them all the time and keep them for a while and let them go. I caught a garter snake last year and kept it for about 6 or 7 months and one day I went out to look at it and there were 15 babies in the cage. There are only 6 venemous breed in Florida and Iv'e yet to run into any of them in my area, Winter Haven Florida.

gogetter
06-04-2005, 10:50 PM
I think they were cow-suckers but not sure.

In all the years I've been involved in the reptile hobby, I've never heard the term "cow suckers". There's "Milk snakes", but they don't fit the description you gave. Hmmm, now I have to do some research!

Tonyr
06-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I only see a couple every season, the mower noise scares em away before I see them I imagine...

They say killin' snakes is easy...just chop it tail off..................................behind it's head!

Pretty hard liking snakes in my country....the buggers are big and bloody bad, some very mean and will attack YOU!

Most common ground snakes here are venomous, ya don't muck with em, you don't have a lot of time to get to a hospital, and with our understaffed hospitals you probably die in waiting from at er lol.

CuttingCrew
06-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I see Garter snakes about every other day I cut. Every now and then I will grab up a small one at the end of the day and take it home. The wife (a veterinarian technician) and the kids love to play with them then turn them loose.

Every once in a great while I'll see a black snake but they are usually way to big to mess with. Never see any Copper Heads or Cotton Mouths but they say there are a few around these parts.

Mike

txlawnking
06-05-2005, 01:22 AM
I only see a couple every season, the mower noise scares em away before I see them I imagine...

They say killin' snakes is easy...just chop it tail off..................................behind it's head!

Pretty hard liking snakes in my country....the buggers are big and bloody bad, some very mean and will attack YOU!

Most common ground snakes here are venomous, ya don't muck with em, you don't have a lot of time to get to a hospital, and with our understaffed hospitals you probably die in waiting from at er lol.

Those snakes down under ain't no punks..I've heard all kinds of horror stories about them.. Show us those pics of the nasty ones again, would ya' Tony? :D , or was it not you that posted them?

In my time, I've accidently munched a few.. Ironically at my Dad's house..

But i used to see them all the time bushhogging.. Saw one once that was in the process of wolfing down a rabbit..That was kinda cool..

green thum
06-05-2005, 01:29 AM
;) Just the other day i was on the ztr and saw a baby rabbit dart out in front of me maybe 20 feet in front of me,I just happen to look down to my left and there was a VERY long black snake,no lunch for him.the black ones don't bother me,just scare the crap out of me when i see 'em.

grass_cuttin_fool
06-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Evary now and then I run across a snake. I enjoy it though, makes the day more interesting.
Yeah everytime I walk up on one my heart beat about doubles, guess its good for the ciculation :D

Mickhippy
06-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Heres a pic of an Eastern Brown snake. These things are everywhere and can be VERY agressive. Heard stories of them attacking dogs through glass doors and even attacking a dozer blade! I've only ever seen one as far as I know and that was just up the road. It was crossing the road and it was longer than the road was wide, more or less.

Heres The Croc Hunter with a few beauties! :p http://www.crocodilehunter.com/australia_zoo/our_amazing_animals_new/reptiles/venomous_%20snakes.html

Even the Fierce (most deadly in the world), Browns and Tipans scare him. I think we have something like 7 of the top 10 killers. Not to mention the 1st or 2nd deadliest spider, jelly fish, sharks, octapus, shell fish, fish, sharks, bird, crocs, women! :p

Scapegoat
06-05-2005, 11:15 AM
I run into snakes all the time. I've not run across a poisonous one as of yet. Most common I find in residential areas are the Southern Black Racer. Not poisonous, but very aggressive. Even when not cornered it will often stand it's ground and lash out. Just had a fat 4 ft long one on my driveway last week. I tried to coax it to move on with a rake and although it had plenty of wide open area to flee, it just kept trying to bite the rake. :D

They also rattle their tails when stirred up and when they are in a leafy area, will sound like a rattle snake. That confuses people.

They need more of them out on the barrier island. They have a big Norway rat problem over there.

fga
06-05-2005, 11:17 AM
does irwin have his finger up its butt in one of those pics?

Mickhippy
06-05-2005, 11:26 AM
does irwin have his finger up its butt in one of those pics?

That'll really pizz it off! hehe Southpark!

txlawnking
06-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I knew that someone had pix of the really nasty snakes..

Frontier-Lawn
06-05-2005, 01:41 PM
heres my hit list i have killed so far:

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/SouthernBlackRacer.htm

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/EasternIndigo.htm

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/Garter.htm

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/SouthernCrown.htm

http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/SouthernRingneck.htm

http://floridaconservation.org/viewing/graphics/pictures/ringneck.gif

Carolina Cutter
06-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Yep...had one in my backyard the other day.....great big black snake.....

Well, I don't do snakes......a little Winchester #8 shot through the Remington pumpgun and WA-LA...no more snake......

Carolina Cutter
06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Yep, this is the one...... http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/SouthernBlackRacer.htm

Don't know if it was harmless or not.....DON'T CARE........these things will chase you and they rare up at ya....so bang bang....goodbye snake.

grass_cuttin_fool
06-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Yep, this is the one...... http://www.floridabackyardsnakes.com/SouthernBlackRacer.htm

Don't know if it was harmless or not.....DON'T CARE........these things will chase you and they rare up at ya....so bang bang....goodbye snake.
Yesterday evening we were entering the city and were sitting at the stop light and there is a Quick lube there. I noticed that 2 of the employees were playing with about a 3 foot black snake in the parking lot. One of them had a push broom playing with it and making him mad. I guess they had been playing with it a while cause he got mad and when the light changed I could see one of them running for the building and the snake was in high speed pursuit and the other guy was realling laughing hard at him :D

RoseCityLandscapes
06-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah but we dot have any deadly snakes around here but we chop them up when we see them.

ProCare Lawn Service
06-05-2005, 07:52 PM
No point in killing a snake as far as I see it. They mostly eat annoying insects and varmints. As a matter of fact more people are injured, bitten, by rats and mice each year than snakes. 9 out of 10 times its your own dam fault for getting bitten by a snake. Lots of people are just uneducated or miseducated into thinking they are doing a good thing by killing a snake. :dizzy:

Scapegoat
06-05-2005, 08:25 PM
No point in killing a snake as far as I see it. They mostly eat annoying insects and varmints. As a matter of fact more people are injured, bitten, by rats and mice each year than snakes. 9 out of 10 times its your own dam fault for getting bitten by a snake. Lots of people are just uneducated or miseducated into thinking they are doing a good thing by killing a snake. :dizzy:

Yes, the presence of snakes is a sign of a healthy ecosystem in your yard.

MMLawn
06-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Then I am a 2 college degree holdin' uneducated fool cause it is my mission in life to kill every snake a see......evil b@sards I say....evil!!! :laugh:

gogetter
06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Lots of people are just uneducated or miseducated

Nah, just sissies! LOL!

Frog Lights, LLC
06-05-2005, 09:29 PM
The only nibble yanker snakes we have here in New Jersey are in government office !