PDA

View Full Version : Truck broke down, what to do?

Eddie B
06-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I had 13 lawns scheduled on friday and it rained, so these were pushed to saturday, and on saturday I normally have 11 lawns, No big issue here since sunday is a catchup day. Well I head to my night job friday in the rain and the rear end of my truck falls apart. Here it is sunday and i'm 24 lawns behind with no truck. Tomorrow is another big mow day as well as tuesday and thursday. I can't even get my truck towed to the shop until tomorrow, and with the work it needs it probably won't be fixed until the end of the week. I am not old enough to rent a vehicle (must be 25). It's looking like my only option is to skip the week and eat the cost. I'm kicking for ideas here...

Ax Man
06-05-2005, 09:01 AM
1) get a parent or friend to help you with the rental issue
2) call customers and let them know the reason for the delay
3) Get cracking!

Charles
06-05-2005, 09:04 AM
What Axman said and you might also consider buying a elcheapo backup truck at this time. Its good to have 2 of everything anyway just for these occasions

rodfather
06-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Man, I sure as hell wouldn't wanna skip a week this time of the year.

What happens if something else goes wrong the following week? To put it point blank, you'll then be "up the preverbial creek without sufficient means of locomotion" if ya get my drift...

Creative Lawn Care
06-05-2005, 09:14 AM
I would, and have before when I was in the exact same situation as you, just go buy a really cheap truck to use for a few days. Check the classifieds of your local paper. There is always some kind of truck or suv in there for $1200 or less. Buy that to use for a week or so while you get your truck fixed. If it runs ok then keep it as a backup for next time, if it doesnt then just put it back up for sale.

jeffex
06-05-2005, 10:01 AM
are there any lcos you know in your area that you can offer to pay to drive you to your accounts? Check home depot for their age requirementsthey rent trucks for deliveries

Mo Green
06-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Option 1......Get someone over 25 to help you with the rental.

Option 2......Borrow a friends truck or other capable vehicle.

I think one of the most important things you can do is to let your customers know what is going on.

SodKing
06-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Its not unheard of to ask another LCO you are friendly with to help you out. Perhaps you can borrow a truck, have him cut the lawns, etc... We have borrowed equipment we didn't have from other LCO's, lent our vehicles and equipment to other LCO's...were all one big happy family.

green thum
06-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Call your customers and let them know what's up asap!!then you will just have to work your butt off to catch up,maybe get a parent to help you with the rental thing.there are some good suggestions on here i would listen to them.good luck

extoro
06-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I feel for ya'. The only problem with renting a truck is that they won't allow you to tow with them. I know this is true for Enterprise I'm not certain about the others. Good luck

Mountain Peak
06-05-2005, 12:59 PM
CALL YOUR CUSTOMERS RIGHT AWAY!!!!! You could end up losing a few of them if you don't show up and they don't know why.

Scapegoat
06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
If you need to buy a cheap tow vehicle fast and can't find a truck in your price range, there are usually a slew of older Econoline cargo vans for sale for $500 - $1500. Usually old paint or electrical contractor fleet vans.

I know around here if you're in a hurry it's hard to find a truck that runs decent for less than $3K.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Appalachian landscape
06-05-2005, 02:58 PM
I hope that's not your truck in your pic beside your name, otherwise I can tell you the exact reason your truck fell apart.

Todd's lawncare
06-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Hey go get a u-haul truck you don't have to be 25 and you can tow with it to . You have to have a friend with a truck or family but if not u-haul is the way to go

all ferris
06-05-2005, 03:24 PM
trade the broken truck in on a new truck. GM has employee pricing right now.

Eddie B
06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
The truck only has 9,000 miles on the new engine and tranny... i'm not getting rid of it.

I found a lady selling a '93 gmc 2500 van, $500. Clean, runs good, needs a wheel alignment. It even has a CD player. She'll be willing to pass it up tomorrow when her newer van is fixed. My 48" WB should fit in the back, right? I'll sell the van for more money when i'm done using it.

bobbygedd
06-05-2005, 06:09 PM
DO NOT call your clients and offer an explanation. this is your stepping stone. in this business setbacks will occur, they range from breakdowns, to rain, to illness, to it's too freakin hot, to the fluke are running. this is your opportunity to establish dominance and an understanding, don't blow it!. offering an explanation, is the same as "calling in sick" when you were employed by "the man". as far as the trucks.... i have 2 of them, both old, but one always runs. i'd rather have 2 old ones, than one new one. new ones break down too

South Florida Lawns
06-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Wish I was near you cuz id be happy to help you Get R Up and running again. Its easy to get parts at a bone yard and swapping a new rear axle/drive-shaft can be done in a few hours with minimal tools. Try to get a loner from a friend for a week.