PDA

View Full Version : can i break in my blower this way?

slicey
06-05-2005, 09:01 AM
bought a stihl bg85 blower. bummed me out when i found out i had to go through a break-in period. i can't see a reason why this would be a problem. start it up, secure from moving around and set throttle to half power position. run the unit the required # of tanks of gas. since this is my 1st 2-cycle power equipment product, i thought i would see what your thoughts on this subject might be.
slicey

ps just could'nt help gunning it a few times on some leaves. holy moly, this thing can BLOW!

Ax Man
06-05-2005, 09:04 AM
How long is the break in?

geogunn
06-05-2005, 09:05 AM
I say put 'er to work full tilt boogie. heck, it aint my blower!

GEO :waving:

Charles
06-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Ya, your first mistake was reading the directions that came with it HAHAHAHA
Just get er done wide azzz open from the get-go

HOMER
06-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Break in period?????

Hmmmm..................never read that far! :)

slicey
06-05-2005, 09:26 AM
How long is the break in?
manual not with me at the momment, but i believe it's for 2 or 3 tank's of gas! that's a long time when you only get one or two jobs per week!

slicey
06-05-2005, 09:29 AM
are you other characters for real? won't this screw up something? i've never owned 2-cycled anything before.
slicey

Charles
06-05-2005, 09:50 AM
I have never read the manuel for a weedeater or a blower. I just unpack them and go at it at full speed. Never had any problems caused by lack of break- in whatever you are talking about lol

grass_cuttin_fool
06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I may not run a new piece wide open for very long, but I dont baby it either. After about 30 minutes of use, I run all of the 2 cycle stuff wide open or however I need too. You purchased it to use it so use it , it has a warranty

lawnman_scott
06-05-2005, 11:12 AM
The only reason I ever open up the manuel is to learn to say something in french or spanish. Its a great learning tool, because the english version is there if you look for it long enough. I have always gone full throttle from the get go.

jpp
06-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Go full speed. If I did a break in period then I would not be using the new equipment for a day.The reason you got it was to use it so put it to work.You won't have any problems.

Runner
06-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Run it like you intend on running through it's life. If you want to take it easy on it, like at 1/2 throttle for awhile, that's fine, too. It sure won't take any 3 tanks, though. 10 minutes, maybe.

Appalachian landscape
06-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I use my stuff wide open from the start. Buy commercial and get a 2 year warranty. :p

PTP
06-05-2005, 05:34 PM
If you really want to break it in, fill up the tank, start it up, and let it run in your back yard for a while. When you are actually blowing, it is nice to run full power.

South Florida Lawns
06-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I especially pay attention to the 2 strokes proper break in period is critical. Its a pain but after 4 tanks or so then i run them at full throttle. I noticed that on my BR 340 after about 10 tanks I got a lot more power from the unit. It was kinda weak for the first week or so.

all ferris
06-05-2005, 05:57 PM
I run them like they are stolen as soon as I get them.

LawnBoy89
06-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Ha! Break in? I didn't read that part, wait, I didn't read any part. Mine runs fine and I ran it wide open since I turned it on. I've only had it for a month now but it seems fine.

geogunn
06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I noticed that on my BR 340 after about 10 tanks I got a lot more power from the unit. It was kinda weak for the first week or so.

dude--the BR-340 is weak regardless.

GEO

topsites
06-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Ya, your first mistake was reading the directions that came with it HAHAHAHA
Just get er done wide azzz open from the get-go

Now see I rarely ever run any of my equipment wide-open, new or not.
20-30, sometimes 50-70% throttle is all I need for weed-eating and blowing. The WB I usually run at 90-95%.

But far as break-in, I just run them the way I like to run them, no real abuse until the smell and the paint is worn off :-)

digger1
06-06-2005, 11:51 PM
if your worried about any damage, mix the oil a little heavy on the first tank and run it as you normally would but no consistent speed or full throttle for an extended period of time. vary the speed and use it.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 11:57 PM
SOOoooooo,
Let's see................Y'all put a new hemi engine in your classic pickup...........do you break it in or just start it up and stomp on that puppy to light up the tires and do 180 mph ???????????????????????????????????????????

Does anyone think the break in period is there for a reason?

It is, it's called seating the rings properly as well as other tight tolerance parts that make an engine function over a long period of time.

Common sense folks.

Running it at one speed will not seat the rings either.

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 03:24 AM
I have never read the manuel for a weedeater or a blower. I just unpack them and go at it at full speed. Never had any problems caused by lack of break- in whatever you are talking about lol

Ditto that. I don't know that we've ever broken anything we own in. Like a lot of people here replied, we just start'er up and run full bore right out of the gate. Never seemed to cause any problems. If you have good quality commercial grade equipment (e.g. Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, RedMax, etc.) then you shouldn't have any problem.

Oldtimer
06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Run it like you stole it is the way to go. It really helps the dealers to sell more parts and equipment.

Seriously, all equipment needs to go thru a break in period like some of the previous posts have explained. The larger the 2 cycle equipment the more critical the warm up and break in periods become. If you cold start and immediately run a Stihl 660 at max throttle it will cold seize every time resulting in a piston & cylinder replacement. Do not free run any saw until it has used at least 3 tanks of fuel.

Anyone who has ever rebuilt 2 cycle equipment will never run, new or rebuilt, engines hard for a couple of tanks of fuel. I don't know if this is still being done but a few years ago in the big timber country a logger would buy a felling saw and pick it up a day or two later. The dealer would hang the saw and let it idle for 2 tanks of fuel to allow for proper break in.

Never add additional oil to a 2 stroke engine. The last thing the modern engines need is more oil and the first thing they need is a high quality gasoline. By high quality I don't mean high octane. My recommendation is to burn 89 octane because mixed fuel loses 2 octane points. Purchase fuel with the least amount of alcohol and octane enhancers you can find and run a bottle test to determine the best choice.

Oldtimer
06-07-2005, 09:19 AM
The Tecumseh engines requiring 24 or 32:1 must not be run any leaner. You will find these engines on some hover mowers, the DynaDiggr and some augers.

Oldtimer

LawnBrother
06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Well, I am in the minority on this one, but any new engine should be properly broken in, 2 cycle, 4 cycle, it doesn't matter. You have to properly seat the rings. It will run better and last longer. I never need to run my BP blower over about half throttle anyway when I am just blowing clippings, I don't see why it's such a p.i.t.a. Just break it in like the manual says to, the engineers and designers know more about that engine than anyone, so they must have a reason for telling you to properly break it in. Besides, better safe than sorry.

Oldtimer
06-07-2005, 05:19 PM
The Ford PSD needs 15-20K to break in.

Fareway Lawncare
06-07-2005, 06:19 PM
If You Run 2Cycles Full Throttle from the Start the Max. Power Potential of the Unit Will Never be Realized...Run them 3 Tanks 3/4 Throttle or Live with a Substandard Weaker Unit for the rest of its Useful Life.

Remsen1
06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
I always thought that the best break-in is varying throttle positions not one steady throttle position. Where are varying throttle positions best found? For most things two-cycle (saws, trimmers, snowmobiles) the answer is: while using them as you normally would. However blowers are run full throttle much of the time. I would recommend using your new blower as much as you can this summer for blowing clippings, cleaning hard surfaces, cooling yourself down, and any other light duty usage you can think of with varying throttle. Do this before leaf season comes up cause then you'll need her to be broken in fully. Always use mineral oil as opposed to synthetic for your break-in, and run a slightly rich mixture.

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I always thought that the best break-in is varying throttle positions not one steady throttle position. Where are varying throttle positions best found? For most things two-cycle (saws, trimmers, snowmobiles) the answer is: while using them as you normally would. However blowers are run full throttle much of the time. I would recommend using your new blower as much as you can this summer for blowing clippings, cleaning hard surfaces, cooling yourself down, and any other light duty usage you can think of with varying throttle. Do this before leaf season comes up cause then you'll need her to be broken in fully. Always use mineral oil as opposed to synthetic for your break-in, and run a slightly rich mixture.

Varying throttle is what seats the rings. You need to vary the workload of the engine for proper seating without running at full throttle for any length of time. Same goes for car engines, putting a low end load on the engine helps to seat the rings and break in the cylinders to achieve full power later. Full power will never be achieved without proper break-in because there will always be a degree of leakage between the cylinder and rings in an engine that has not been properly broken in.

Charles
06-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Rings Shmings, we are not talking Hot Rod Magazine here. We are talking less than 500$ blowers. Give me a break! I got a Echo that has ran great over 5 years now and always at full speed. The time wasted running it at less than full speed could buy you a new blower

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Rings Shmings, we are not talking Hot Rod Magazine here. We are talking less than 500$ blowers. Give me a break! I got a Echo that has ran great over 5 years now and always at full speed. The time wasted running it at less than full speed could buy you a new blower

Hey Chucky,
You can run your half powered blower if you like, we'll break ours in and make more money with the increased efficiency......................... :waving:

Fareway Lawncare
06-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Just Think How Much Time you Would have Saved had you Broken that Blower in Properly & Had all that eXrta Power...

You Losers can Keep Running your Blowers Full Throttle During Break-in & Then Live w/Substandard Power for 5-10 Years...I'll Spend the eXtra 3hrs to Break it in Properly.