PDA

View Full Version : a newly born scrub...lasted a week tops!

nobagger
06-05-2005, 11:22 AM
We moved into our new house this winter and a neighbor had asked me if I was hiring several times and I told him no. He went as far as to leave his 3 page resume on my door at 6am :realmad: Well a few weeks ago he yelled to me one evening "gettin me some jobs now too" I said thats great and went inside. Last week he was at our next door neighbor's trying to get a job from him and he yells over "yep pickin me up another job" I asked him what he pays for insurance as I'm looking to switch agents. He asked me, "you need to be insured?" I said well yeah it helps if you were to break a window or hit something etc. His reply was oh well I'm carefull around houses, people etc. Well the short of it is yesterday he had all of his stuff sitting in his driveway with a sign that said "it all works, free, take it" So there is hope for smaller legit companies yet! :p

green thum
06-05-2005, 11:40 AM
;) Another scrub bites the dust!!!!You weren't worried anyway i'm sure.

jpp
06-05-2005, 01:33 PM
So what "free" stuff did you pick up from him. :waving:

The Dude
06-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Well the short of it is yesterday he had all of his stuff sitting in his driveway with a sign that said "it all works, free, take it" So there is hope for smaller legit companies yet! :p

I like a good story as much as the next guy, but this smells bad. Come on. The guy buys equipment and then several weeks later is GIVING it away?!?!?!

Whats he gonna cut his own lawn with?

Richard Martin
06-05-2005, 03:54 PM
I like a good story as much as the next guy, but this smells bad. Come on. The guy buys equipment and then several weeks later is GIVING it away?!?!?!

That's what I was going to ask. And most small operations usually start with what they have in the garage.

dcplace2004
06-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Fellow, go out and cut some yards, be tired at the end of the day, go home, spend time with the family, and go to bed...that should be your routine...

nobagger
06-05-2005, 04:53 PM

This is not a fabricated story what so ever, why would I make up a stupid story like this? I just love it when these yahoo's think they have a mower and a broom and poof! they become the next latest and greatest lawn care service. And the fact that he seemed to want to rub it in by yelling it from half a block away rub me the wrong way I guess.He didn't buy new equipment, it was a old nasty 21" murray and a electric weed eater trimmer, the same junk he pyled into his trunk a couple of weeks ago. I just hated the fact that he was ticked off that I didn't hire him so he thought it was so easy to start out on his own with absolutely no idea what it takes to get started. I'm not going to sit here and say well I'm not trying to bash him, because I am! everyone of us should take offense to him and people like him. At least I do, just thought I would share a truthful, humorous story. :waving:

dcplace2004
06-06-2005, 04:25 AM
I just started out this year and am finding out too much too soon how hard the business is to get going...when to advertise, how to advertise (I have screwed this up big time), how much to charge (I have messed this one up also)...with time I will learn and research more before I take on things full tilt...I have fallen right on my arse man...but, I feel good knowing that the day will come where I can make a little money at this...I do good work and people notice...later...

Jay Ray
06-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Yeah DC, this is a tough, tough business to break into because it is easy entry and easy exit with a thousand lowballers in every city. IMHO almost everyone underestimates by a mile how high the overhead is. This is my second season, and if I had not paid my whole year's insurance in April, might have given up, but had to stick just to get the insurance money's worth.

Things are looking up and having to get to the bank more and more often. Not now, but afar off, I can see that my living can be made at this because the trend is slowly up. The victories are outweighing the defeats (mistakes). Not satisfied with my skills and my schedule, but compared to April 2004 have come a very long way.

Hardest and hottest work I've ever done but I love it.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Maybe he's now got a brandy new Exmark sitting in the Garage and just needed some room so he gave away the old junk......................... :waving:

SodKing
06-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is over these new scrubs. The day I start worrying about some unexperienced Joe with a minimal amount of equipment is the day I get out of the business.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is over these new scrubs. The day I start worrying about some unexperienced Joe with a minimal amount of equipment is the day I get out of the business.

Exactly..............

green thum
06-07-2005, 12:15 AM
AMEN sod king!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:

lawn_pro
06-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Whatever, put your bag on...your lawns will look better.

Lawn-Scapes
06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
I just love it when these yahoo's think they have a mower and a broom and poof! they become the next latest and greatest lawn care service.

I thought I was the latest & greatest 15 years ago.... and you know what? I still do :D

Wells
06-07-2005, 12:42 AM
I just love it when these yahoo's think they have a mower and a broom and poof!
Guess I must be a "Yahoo" since I started out with a mower and a broom.