PDA

View Full Version : Changing blades fast on a WB (how-to with pics)

topsites
06-05-2005, 11:31 AM
This is how I change blades on my WB, it takes very little time. The benefit is I don't remove the cover but you have to get handy with the airtool or you will drop a washer or nut inside the cover, requiring you to remove the cover. Still, I get it right most the time.

See pic on how to use the air-tool:
http://atopqualitysite.com/lawnpics/Picture%209b.jpg

- With the cover in place, use the access holes to LOOSEN the nuts. Do NOT remove the nut with the airtool or the washer will fall under the cover, requiring you to remove the cover. Do this for all 3 nuts.
- Once loosened, prop the front of the mower on a jackstand thou I like using my knee for speed. On the new machine (pictured) the front is heavier than on the old one so I use both knees.
- With one hand holding the bladebolt from underneath, use finger + thumb to take the nut off careful not to drop it. Once off, pick out the washer and drop the blade. Do this for all 3.
- Grab the blades out from underneath and install fresh, sharp blades onto the bolts with the washers in place and all that.

To re-install:
- Grab a blade by the bottom and insert it from below.
- Plop a washer onto the bladebolt and then hand-tighten the nut a few turns. Do this for all 3 blades.
- Lower the front of the mower and re-tighten with the air tool.

Other notes:
Sometimes when a nut or washer falls inside, it will slide and fall out around where the engine is. If it doesn't, sometimes shaking the machine a little will do it, but ultimately cover removal could be the only solution.

Warning: Do NOT fall for the temptation of holding the bladebolt from underneath while taking the nut off with the airtool so as to keep the washer from falling - The airtool can spin the bladebolt in your hand and tear up your skin (nevermind the blade is right there, too).

The electrical tape on the cover (by the muffler) protects the paint for when I flip up the discharge / chute guard.

When it works, it's much easier and faster than taking the cover off.
Peace

ed2hess
06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
You have a good idea but....when you change blades you usually look for any other things wrong like cracks in belt, spindle wobble, loose belt tension, transmission belt condition, etc. And on my units I always grease when I change blades.