PDA

View Full Version : blade angle & cut quality issue??

lawnchopper
06-05-2005, 12:55 PM
when sharpening a blade and not sharpening at the right degree could that have a effect on cut quality and dispersal of the clippings. Boss wont buy a blade sharpener so i have to you a hand grinder to at least come close to the factory angle. I have used a bench grinder which is almost impossible at times to come close and i end up sharpening at to steep of a angle.
Im getting stringers and dispersal problems at times

lawnchopper
06-06-2005, 12:58 AM
dont everyone speak at once...................

txlawnking
06-06-2005, 01:08 AM
To be honest, I don't think the angle really matters too much. That is unless you cut it so steep that it dulls in 5 minutes. I'd park the machine on level concrete and make sure that everything is square to the world. But really, the condition you describe may be indicative of belts that are slipping, or pulley's/ belts that are worn out..

lawnranger44
06-06-2005, 09:50 AM
our blades were pretty steep this past spring and we grinded them down to about a 45 degree angle. I think it cuts a lot better and there is less grass build up on the deck.

Lawn Sharks
06-06-2005, 11:01 AM
I would ask the MagnaMatic guys this question. Believe they have their own formum here. If anyone knows about mower blades they do.

orangejbird
06-06-2005, 02:12 PM
I just use angle grinder and go roughly 30 degrees.
I also grind towards the other end about 2" further than the factory.
You'd be surprised how much the cut improves and takes less power. :cool2:

KathysLGC
06-06-2005, 02:34 PM
How are the tips on the blades? Are they rounded? How fast are you mowing?

DLS1
06-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Take the blades to get sharpened using a professional blade sharpener and then you will find out if it is the blades or something else. It will only cost you $5 or $6 a blade and you will also get them back to the correct angle.

wacamaster
06-06-2005, 10:40 PM
If the mower isn't cutting to it's normal quality, and the belts seem fine... it has to be the blades. I sharpened my wrong for 2 days and they cut worse then anythign I've ever seen. Woulda actually been better had I not sharpened em at all.

Fantasy Lawns
06-06-2005, 10:55 PM
A narrower angle, such as that of a knife, will cut well initially, but will dull quickly and nick easily.

On the other hand, a blade with a less severe (more blunt) angle will not provide the same quality of cut, even though it might wear more slowly.

Most may say between 20-40 degree angle .... while many pro sharpen blades or even those sold by the manufacturer tend to have a 30 degree angle which is what I use .... at 30-35 degrees the cut is very good .... the time to re-sharpen is minimum ..... I like em sharpened every 6-8 hours of cut time in the growing season

on a side note .... talk of growing season with 10" of rain last 6 days n soon 90 degree sunny weather .... can watch the grass grow