PDA

View Full Version : Quietest Engine?

Scapegoat
06-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Has anyone compared engine noise by brand and/or HP?

Was wondering if all else being equal what brand ran the quietest.

grass disaster
06-05-2005, 02:11 PM
i believe the quietest mower out there would be the kubota diesel. that is one of thier strong points.

they also have a "quiet" deck design.

PLM-1
06-05-2005, 02:27 PM
i believe the quietest mower out there would be the kubota diesel. that is one of thier strong points.

they also have a "quiet" deck design.

I would agree to that! I think one of the loudest is the Kohler.

ToroLandscaper
06-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I would agree to that! I think one of the loudest is the Kohler.

Yeah Kohler engines get onnoying b/c i have one and that thing is the loudest thing ever

Travis Followell
06-05-2005, 03:18 PM
We have a new 26 hp liquid cooled kawasaki v-shaft engine and its pretty quiet. Its a lot quieter than our 25 hp air cooled Kohler.

marvinlee
06-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Engine noise can vary within engine brands. The new liquid cooled Briggs and Stratton commercial series "big block" twins might be quieter than their air cooled counterparts. The new, large, big blocks are a new design that weighs more than their previous v-twins. With new design and heavier castings, the noise might--not sure-- make less sound.

I note that John Deere boasts of having an enclosed diesel engine in their new 997 ZTR mower. Has anyone heard it run to form a judgment?

I have a ZD-21 Kubota with the 782 diesel engine. It is quiet, but I would like it to be even quieter. ZTR makers have a long way to go on perfecting low noise mowers.

Mower manufacturers have some choice as to what RPM to run the engines that they buy. A lower RPM, other things being equal, usually means lower engine noise.

tacoma200
06-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Has anyone compared engine noise by brand and/or HP?

Was wondering if all else being equal what brand ran the quietest.

I'm not trying to be smart but I thought most mowers were loud enough that hearing protection would be in order. I aways put earplugs in when mowing along with safety glasses so noise is not an issue to me. Does anyone know how loud a mower has to be in decibels to require hearing protection? I am probably getting off the subject a bit but the answer would be interesting to me. How many landscape professionals use hearing protection would you think?

Eddie B
06-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Do they sell aftermarket mufflers to quiet down some of these engines without sacrificing power?

deereman
06-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Pretty much all your liquid cooled engines will naturaly, be a little less noisey than the air cooled models.