PDA

View Full Version : Seven year old in coma after being hit with stone from mower.

Canadian GreenScape
06-05-2005, 01:02 PM
A friend of a friend had this happen to their son over the weekend. Father was mowing (not sure with what, or if the gaurd was on or off, or how far away) but a stone came off the blades and struck him in the forhead. Hes been in and out of a coma with a fractured skull and internal bleeding / pressure on the brain. They're worried about the pressure causing oxygen deprivation and brain damage. Pretty scary, its bad enough breaking a window or hitting a car.... Would be a good reason to invest in a OCDC.

liquidforcedude7
06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Thats why no living things except for me are in the yard.

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 03:16 AM
That's sad.

I am constantly reminded every day that our life here on Earth is a gift. Every minute is a gift. Not just for our lives - but for those around us.

Whether it's a rock from a mower, or a kidnapper, or a car wreck or a sudden heart attack - there are people leaving this world every moment. People who were fathers, sons, daughters, mothers. It's all sad. But it's also a reminder that every moment you have with your parents, kids, spouse, etc. is precious. Don't ever take it for granted. If you have kids or parents or a spouse, use these stories as constant reminders to leave on good terms. Whenever I leave my Mom or wife or kids, I always give them a big kiss and hug as if it were possibly going to be my last. And I cherish every smile, every laugh, every tickle, every moment when I am with them. Because one of these days, it will be my last.

Don't take it for granted.

Greenstar Services
06-07-2005, 04:09 AM
That is so true Jim. Just say a prayer the the young one and hope for the best.

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 04:27 AM
Definitely.

Tonyr
06-07-2005, 04:30 AM
That's sad.

I am constantly reminded every day that our life here on Earth is a gift. Every minute is a gift. Not just for our lives - but for those around us.

Whether it's a rock from a mower, or a kidnapper, or a car wreck or a sudden heart attack - there are people leaving this world every moment. People who were fathers, sons, daughters, mothers. It's all sad. But it's also a reminder that every moment you have with your parents, kids, spouse, etc. is precious. Don't ever take it for granted. If you have kids or parents or a spouse, use these stories as constant reminders to leave on good terms. Whenever I leave my Mom or wife or kids, I always give them a big kiss and hug as if it were possibly going to be my last. And I cherish every smile, every laugh, every tickle, every moment when I am with them. Because one of these days, it will be my last.

Don't take it for granted.

Jim....Mate, you are right, very well said, thank you.

YardPro
06-07-2005, 07:05 AM
this is the reason we all need insurance.
even if you make sure no body is in the yard, a kid riding by on a bike could end up the same way.
can you imagine how bad the father feels....

my thoughts are with the family.

Toy2
06-07-2005, 10:17 AM
True, so true....the "Party" will end for each one of us....enjoy it......

The Captain
06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Has there been any change or additional word on the boys' condition?

Jim

Runner
06-07-2005, 10:51 AM
That is why safety cannot be stressed enough. There are some people on this site that don't even have a clue. I've heard talk of "not needing" insurance, or not enough work to justify it, and such. There was a member not long ago that even spoke of cancelling his insurance, because he felt that he didn't need it... Hard to believe.
Here is something that happened to a local lco that I know.
He had a commercial property that had a rental unit on iy among some other things. There were kids that always played outside when they were there, and though he spoke to the people that lived there about it, it never seemed to help. The best thing that happened, was that the kids would play on the other side - away from the mowers. Well, one day, he got the phone call. It was one of his employees saying that "You better get over here quick. When he asked what happened, the employee just replied. "Just get over here."
Well, he left right away and drove as fast as he could. When he arrived, he was told what happened. His guy was coming around the corner of a high fence, slowed down and took caution, and proceeded when it was clear. Well, he hit a stone, and it flew a considerable distance, and hit this kid right square beside the eye. He was told by the paramedics that it didn't look good. The mother was already on the way to the hospital with the child. For a while (about 2 weeks), they didn't know if they were going to be able to save the eye, or if the kid would lose it. Well, they couldn't save it. Now, don't think for a MINUTE that there wasn't a MAJOR lawsuit, because there was. His insurance was somehow able to take care of it, but this kid is STILL without an eye for the rest of his life. This is just another wake up call that it CAN happen, and it can happen to any and all of us. It just takes once, and when it happens,...it happens oh so fast. If it can happen to a father and son, you can rest assured it can happen to anyone else. Also, this was more than likely just from a homeowner type tractor (odds are). Imagine the velocity out of a commercial mower with almost double the blade tip speed.
I pray for this child, his father, and the family.

tjgray
06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
That is why safety cannot be stressed enough. There are some people on this site that don't even have a clue. I've heard talk of "not needing" insurance, or not enough work to justify it, and such. There was a member not long ago that even spoke of cancelling his insurance, because he felt that he didn't need it... Hard to believe.
Here is something that happened to a local lco that I know.
He had a commercial property that had a rental unit on iy among some other things. There were kids that always played outside when they were there, and though he spoke to the people that lived there about it, it never seemed to help. The best thing that happened, was that the kids would play on the other side - away from the mowers. Well, one day, he got the phone call. It was one of his employees saying that "You better get over here quick. When he asked what happened, the employee just replied. "Just get over here."
Well, he left right away and drove as fast as he could. When he arrived, he was told what happened. His guy was coming around the corner of a high fence, slowed down and took caution, and proceeded when it was clear. Well, he hit a stone, and it flew a considerable distance, and hit this kid right square beside the eye. He was told by the paramedics that it didn't look good. The mother was already on the way to the hospital with the child. For a while (about 2 weeks), they didn't know if they were going to be able to save the eye, or if the kid would lose it. Well, they couldn't save it. Now, don't think for a MINUTE that there wasn't a MAJOR lawsuit, because there was. His insurance was somehow able to take care of it, but this kid is STILL without an eye for the rest of his life. This is just another wake up call that it CAN happen, and it can happen to any and all of us. It just takes once, and when it happens,...it happens oh so fast. If it can happen to a father and son, you can rest assured it can happen to anyone else. Also, this was more than likely just from a homeowner type tractor (odds are). Imagine the velocity out of a commercial mower with almost double the blade tip speed.
I pray for this child, his father, and the family.

Joe if that doesn't convince every one here that insurance is an absolute must in this industry......I don't know what will.

Very frightening this post.

GreenScape I am so sorry to hear about your friends son. He and his family are in my prayers.

OnMyOwn
06-07-2005, 11:21 AM
For those of you who think insurance is not a requirement of running your lawn buisness, I will also assume that you have not incorporated your business. Both of these items are REQUIREMENTS to protect yourself, your crew and the public. It is very hard to pierce the corporate veil offered by sub-S or LLC elections.

Look at it this way. You fight for every dime you make on a daily basis. One accident without proper insurance / legal structure can take away yesterday's dimes earned, today's dimes earned, and every dollar earned for the rest of YOUR LIFE!. That is right. Lawsuits can attach to future, individual earnings, whether you remain in the lawn maintenance business, or not.

Please trust me. I am a degreed accountant with a back ground in HR and business law. Don't let your hard earned business and dollar slip away, due to your own negligence. Contact an inexpensive attorney / CPA group. You will get your money's worth.

Lux Lawn
06-07-2005, 11:21 AM
A friend of a friend had this happen to their son over the weekend. Father was mowing (not sure with what, or if the gaurd was on or off, or how far away) but a stone came off the blades and struck him in the forhead. Hes been in and out of a coma with a fractured skull and internal bleeding / pressure on the brain. They're worried about the pressure causing oxygen deprivation and brain damage. Pretty scary, its bad enough breaking a window or hitting a car.... Would be a good reason to invest in a OCDC.

That is a very sad story...I wish him the best of luck.He will be in our prayers.

Mo Green
06-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey.....Topsites.....where are you??? Did you read this???

Canadian GreenScape
06-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I havent heard any news about the boy since sunday, Ill find out tho. We might all gripe about insurance costs but it is a must. Safety for pedestrians/home owners is one part of it but the safety of the employees is an issue too, all the guys MUST wear eye protection at ALL times but that only goes so far.

DLS1
06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I had something similar to this happen to me when I was 9 years old. I was sitting on some front porch steps at our house talking to a friend. My dad was cutting grass with a 21" without a guard on it. While cutting out flew a long piece of wire and it embedded somehow between my knuckle on one of my fingers. Had to go to the hospital to get it taken out.

The real scary part is my hand was resting on my knees while I was talking to my friend and if I didn't have my hand and knees resting where they were then the wire would have went straight into my heart.

I am real safety conscious now but my wife thinks I overdo it.
Better safe than sorry.

Lawn Sharks
06-07-2005, 08:52 PM
I am the only person I know that has been hit in the head with a mower thrown projectile while driving my car not once but TWICE. Both cases were minor injury but I now make sure my window is rolled up whenever I see a mower.

Runner
06-07-2005, 10:30 PM
I am the only person I know that has been hit in the head with a mower thrown projectile while driving my car not once but TWICE. Both cases were minor injury but I now make sure my window is rolled up whenever I see a mower.

And yet we see eceryday, people mowing out by roads, blowing stuff out into traffic. The ones that really get me are the ones that mow their gravel driveway, too, while crossing from one side to the other. I've seen several commercial cutters do the same type of thing. Just keep mowing median type strip in heavy traffic areas, even at intersections where the vehicles are stopped and the windows are rolled down. Like I say, some people just don't have a clue.

Canadian GreenScape
06-12-2005, 01:38 PM
An update on the boy, hes recovering nicely i guess. Just took a short walk down the hospital hallway yesterday. Hes in physiotherapy to get his cordination back and so far no signs of brain damage. Hes fortunate, it was touch and go for a few days.

steve in Pa.
06-12-2005, 09:37 PM
glad to hear the boy is doing better. I know alot of guys think that it would never happen with me running the mower but it can. so keep that in mind!!!! I'm guilty of it too!

SoloMow
06-12-2005, 10:37 PM
I had something similar to this happen to me when I was 9 years old. I was sitting on some front porch steps at our house talking to a friend. My dad was cutting grass with a 21" without a guard on it. While cutting out flew a long piece of wire and it embedded somehow between my knuckle on one of my fingers. Had to go to the hospital to get it taken out.

The real scary part is my hand was resting on my knees while I was talking to my friend and if I didn't have my hand and knees resting where they were then the wire would have went straight into my heart.

I am real safety conscious now but my wife thinks I overdo it.
Better safe than sorry.

This story brought back memories of an event that happened to me when I was 12-13 years old. It was my job to mow the family lawn. One day I was cruising with a push mower through the backyard (with no eye or ear protection). I hit an unseen piece of baling wire! The mower blades drove a 5" piece of the wire into the left rear solid rubber tire. The wire protruded on both sides of a 2" hard rubber tire and had to be cut off with wire snips. ;) Nobody has to remind me of the power of flying wire. :cool2: