PDA

View Full Version : is TANAKA a quality trimmer brand; experiences anyone?

slicey
06-05-2005, 02:38 PM
hello, i'm interested in the TBC 2500 AND TBC-230 models. does anyone own one of these string trimmers? will you give me your take on them? please, no replies telling me how great a model your husky, stihl, echo, redmax, etc. is, just the above info i'm asking for would be of great value to me.
thanks, slicey

128Steve
06-05-2005, 02:54 PM
My Tanaka TBC-340 is an outstanding trimmer. In every way comparable to my RedMax, except in popularity. Okay, my RedMax looks better :p

mowerman90
06-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Over the years I've owned several pieces of Tanaka equipment. I currently own one of their engine drills that I use to put grass plugs in with. I've never had any problems with any of them and they always ran strong. Parts, on the other hand are VERY expensive compared to other brands and sometimes hard to get.

txlawnking
06-05-2005, 04:19 PM
I used one years ago and It seemed to be a quality unit..However, I believe there is only ONE dealer in Houston that even carries them, and you couldn't pay me to buy from them..

Basically, from what I've heard, if you don't live on the west coast, good luck on finding an abundance of dealers..

Their WB edger is awesome as well.. If and when it is made again..

MercyMe
06-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Over the years I've owned several pieces of Tanaka equipment. I currently own one of their engine drills that I use to put grass plugs in with. I've never had any problems with any of them and they always ran strong. Parts, on the other hand are VERY expensive compared to other brands and sometimes hard to get.

Parts are VERY hard to find and they are VERY expensive. Hardly any dealers left in my area and that is the main reason.

Tanaka
06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi,
Go to http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=91

then call us at 1-888-482-6252 or email custsvc@tanaka-ism.com and place your oder.

We have over 10,000 Tanaka parts in stock in our main Auburn, WA location.

-MW

Tanaka
06-05-2005, 06:03 PM
The TBC-230 and TBC-2500 both qualify for a FREE Tanaka accessory kit during Power Days. More info here - http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=50
-MW

hello, i'm interested in the TBC 2500 AND TBC-230 models. does anyone own one of these string trimmers? will you give me your take on them? please, no replies telling me how great a model your husky, stihl, echo, redmax, etc. is, just the above info i'm asking for would be of great value to me.
thanks, slicey

clydesdale
06-05-2005, 11:51 PM
I have a tanaka tbc 220 that is about 13 years old and still runs strong. It trimmed about 10-15 1/2 acre lawns a week during that time. As a result of the quality i just purchased a tbc 230. The product performs fantastic. I do not see the parts being VERY expensive. Actually, I havent really needed any parts except maintenance, which is why i bought another. Cans Bilco is on the east coast for parts. They are in PA, I am in NY AND I get parts the next day. I bought the 230 from 2 b outdoors in TX and had it shipped to me in NY. I think i paid $261 to my door with a brush kit. That was better than what i could get here without the kit. There service on the phone was great. I WILL do business with them again. THE REASON I BOUGHT a tanka was it runs so flawlessly and hasnt really needed any parts. gOOD luck.

Tanaka
06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your Tanaka purchase - I think I saw your claim form for the FREE Accy kit.

Also, glad to hear you are getting great parts support from Canns-Bilco.

-MW

gorrell
06-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I've got probably a half dozen Tanaka trimmers and have found them to be some of the most trouble free line trimmers on the market. Their "brain" auto head is absolutely the most trouble free automatic I've ever used...........Lynn

lwcmattlifter
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I have been searching for a dealer local to me but none of them will sell Tanaka equipment. The dealer I go to for almost everything can get parts but he can't guarantee timeliness. I'm bummed, after hearing such great things about Tanaka equipment. I have never heard a complaint about Tanaka quality, just availability.

Tanaka
06-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Hi,
Sorry to hear that. How would you like to field test a Tanaka product of your choice?

Go to www.tanaka-usa.com and let me know what you want to test.

-MW

Itsgottobegreen
06-09-2005, 02:52 AM
I've got probably a half dozen Tanaka trimmers and have found them to be some of the most trouble free line trimmers on the market. Their "brain" auto head is absolutely the most trouble free automatic I've ever used...........Lynn

HA The brain is the biggest joke ever. I had two on the same trimmer. I don't care how carefully you wrapped the string. They would never feed right.
I guess you can call tanka trimmers good. Mine has a cracked casting on the bottom from being dropped. The gas tank leak really bad and I can't figure out from where. I still used it as a brush cutter if it wants to start. Buts its like 10 or 11 years old. So what do you expect. Currently its just taking up space in my trimmer rack until its get replace with another Echo split shaft. (go too many attachements for it and only one power head)

clydesdale
06-09-2005, 07:15 AM
THE BRAIN IS AWSOME!!! Every once and while it wont feed right. It might happen once out of ten re-loads. But it is a simple open up the head fix where it is stuck and off you go. No tapping on the ground, no scalping. I just bought a new tanaka and it has a tap head and now i search for crappy places to tap the head or tap it with no rpm. With the brain, you just keep rockin. As far a reliability, I have a shindaiwa and the tanaka is way better. I dont know why you have had trouble with your tanaka, but my old one is around over 14 years old and it is extremely reliable, I will probably pull the brain off of it and put it on the new trimmer.

naturescape
06-09-2005, 08:46 AM
I love all my Tanaka equipment. I have the TBC-230, also 550 edger, hedgetrimmers and chainsaw.

The 230 is the best trimmer I've had. VERY light, plenty of power (I use twisted trimmer line - even more power and better cut).

Also, once you replace the line a couple times, you'll love how Tanaka made the trimmer head. Totally different from anything else I've seen, very easy to load.