PDA

View Full Version : for all you cowards

bobbygedd
06-05-2005, 05:19 PM
everyone is sooo worried about missing a cut, over things you can't control, like rain.....this is the messege i put on my machine a couple weeks back, when it rained, for the clients who called, and wanted to know "when i was comming." this is what it said, " IF YOU ARE CALLING, BECAUSE WE MISSED YOUR LAWN THIS WEEK.....GET OVER IT! IT'S ONLY GRASS! WE WILL BE THERE, WHEN WE GET THERE!!!" if you don't believe me, ask ric, rod, and mac, they heard it. stop acting like an employee, and start acting like a business owner!

South Florida Lawns
06-05-2005, 05:25 PM
i got screwd last week due to three days of solid rain. I don't let it bug me a bit. It rains so much down here I just work around it as much as possible. Customers would be crazy to not understand this, most are good about understanding that it does rain sometimes. i always think of it as **** Happens.

bobbygedd
06-05-2005, 05:29 PM
so true. i don't sweat it. and what makes me laugh is...if it rained at my house, i know it rained at thiers too. but still, they call. now, on the other hand, if i show up, and tear the crap out of thier lawn, we got a problem. so, it's like this....it's my way, or the ole freakin highway. no exceptions

garyslawn
06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Do You Keep Customers Very Long???

Jpocket
06-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Bobby I agree with you...but you shouldn't be so rude to your customers...If you call the phone company and ask them a dumb a** question, they don't respond rude and aggressivly, they remain polite, and accomodating

Tom-N-Texas
06-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Heck I work right through the rain...unless it's really pouring. My employees hate me and the homeowners look out the window at me like I'm crazy, but who cares. A little water never hurt nothing. Besides I usually work in my swim trunks.

bobbygedd
06-05-2005, 05:42 PM
yes, in fact i do. my customer retention is better than the pee ons who kiss thier clients butts. did you ever stop to think....maybe they want somebody to "be in charge"?

yrdandgardenhandyman
06-05-2005, 06:11 PM
everyone is sooo worried about missing a cut, over things you can't control, like rain.....this is the messege i put on my machine a couple weeks back, when it rained, for the clients who called, and wanted to know "when i was comming." this is what it said, " IF YOU ARE CALLING, BECAUSE WE MISSED YOUR LAWN THIS WEEK.....GET OVER IT! IT'S ONLY GRASS! WE WILL BE THERE, WHEN WE GET THERE!!!" if you don't believe me, ask ric, rod, and mac, they heard it. stop acting like an employee, and start acting like a business owner!

You must have a real problem dealing with people. I've never had a problem like this. Well, not yet anyways. :) My clients trust my judgment and very seldom complain about petty items. Not to say I've never had a complaint but usually they are reasonable complaints and are handled professionally by both parties. Even when I was new and was taking whatever accounts I could get. Maybe people just are more volatile in NJ? :realmad: :waving:

South Florida Lawns
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Its just not worth getting all up tight about a situation. If a something occurs where you have to push back your mowing a few days and redo your schedule then do it, but i would not go calling my customers and giving them some excuse as to why you didn't come out. If I am pushed back for what ever reason I will be out there the next day to get it done. Simple As That.

pines
06-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Mr. Public Relations at it again.

bobbygedd
06-05-2005, 06:43 PM
somebody has to teach u ladies. cus frankly, some of the crap i been reading here lately is PROPOSTOROUS! you all aint businessmen, you aint nothin more than hard working employees

drsogr
06-05-2005, 06:48 PM
yes, in fact i do. my customer retention is better than the pee ons who kiss thier clients butts. did you ever stop to think....maybe they want somebody to "be in charge"?

I have noticed that a lot of customers like to be be put in their place a little. If they are paying you, they want you to tell them how its supposed to be done. If you give any hesitation they will question you on it.

txlawnking
06-05-2005, 07:03 PM
However, I do think the Language is harsh.. But you're 100% correct about one thing.. I have 0% tolerance for customer B.S...

bobbygedd
06-05-2005, 07:10 PM
i mean seriously, the damn nerve of some people, to have the audacity to call me, as if they are the only client i have, when it's obvious we had 4" of rain, and ask, "what's going on, when are you comming???" ha ha ha, yea, ok, like i'm gonna call you back. you're lucky you don't get wacked just for acting stupid.

all ferris
06-05-2005, 07:17 PM
What about when I'm complaining about missing cuts because it HASN"T RAINED. It's dryer than a popcorn fart here. I think it was the 3'rd driest may on record and all my yards are burning up. I think I might have a week off.

bobbygedd
06-05-2005, 07:19 PM
do u charge extra when it grows alot?

General Grounds
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
:blob3: the lawns come first so they when you can get to them esp. after 3 days of rain, but in a few days the phone will really start ringin because with all this rain and trying to get the lawns done im really falling behind with sidework. i love the message " I KNOW ITS BEEN RAINING BUT..." tony

BCSteel
06-05-2005, 08:12 PM
You bunch of pansys not working in the rain. Boo hoo, its wet out. Suck it up and take it like a man.

~~not working in the rain... bah!~~

green thum
06-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Ihad my guys (and me)out in the rain last week,man were they pissed(too bad you pansies suck it up!!!)bobby ,the message seemed a little harsh but on the other hand you can't take any b.s. from these people!!most of them need to be put in there place.As a matter of fact i JUSTgot of the phone with one,he called complaining there are some brown spots starting to show up/I've told him for three months he needs to run the irrigation system,he says he will start tomorrow.PEOPLE YOU HAVE TO WATER THE LAWN TO KEEP IT GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd's lawncare
06-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Ihad my guys (and me)out in the rain last week,man were they pissed(too bad you pansies suck it up!!!)bobby ,the message seemed a little harsh but on the other hand you can't take any b.s. from these people!!most of them need to be put in there place.As a matter of fact i JUSTgot of the phone with one,he called complaining there are some brown spots starting to show up/I've told him for three months he needs to run the irrigation system,he says he will start tomorrow.PEOPLE YOU HAVE TO WATER THE LAWN TO KEEP IT GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't water mine but its still green !! and i have one that don't water it at all he lives by himself and don't use the yard and its real nice for nothing !!!

HighGrass
06-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I somehow get the feeling that if you actually did leave a message like this, that you probably called the number yourself just to lesten to it. It appears that if half of what I read of your posts are true, you certainly have a problem which I am not qualified to diagnose.

If in fact you were to leave a message such as this and then write about it only confirms in my own mind that if one were to measure the size of your ego, it certainly would take more than one person to accomplish the task.

Having said that, I feel sorry for you and even more so for your customers.

MMLawn
06-05-2005, 08:51 PM
You bunch of pansys not working in the rain. Boo hoo, its wet out. Suck it up and take it like a man.

~~not working in the rain... bah!~~

Has nothing to do with getting wet or being a pansy. It has EVERYTHING to do with not doing needless damage to a clients lawn. We cut if it is lightly wet or get caught in the rain and I have no issues with that, did it Friday has a matter of fact. But 4 days of constant rain as BG said he had had means the ground is very much soaked and should not have 1000-1400 pounds of commercial equipment on them damaging the turf at that point.

Turfdude
06-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Years ago, I used to sweat it out, get all worked up or as my staff used to say "push the panic button". Then one day, I realized that if its my best judgement to not work in the rain, that most all other responsible & reputable LCO's are in the same boat. Then I figured that if the client is not understanding and decides to go elsewhere, that 1. I can easily fill their spot & 2. if they leave, they probably will get an LCO w/ a lesser quality.

Tony (GG), I too love the "I know its been raining but..." For all of those, I took a page from a trade rag I read years ago that went along these lines...
Sometimes due to inclement weather, or other circumstances out of our control, we may fall a little behind our schedule. In this event, we will call to reschedule and ask for your patience. WE take pride in our work and will not rush to get the job done, when after all it must be done right. We know that you will appreciate our best efforts when we are working on your project.

If the client is just that much of a PITA, then its the old "Our goal is to see our clients happy. We are well aware through your expressed dissatisfaction that you are unhappy. At this time, we respectfully request that you find another company to provide your service that will better meet your expectations. (If they're maintenace accounts) WE will continue servicing your property for the next 2 weeks and shall enclose a written cancellation of services effective from said date. Thank you for letting us serv you and we hope you find the proper company that will suit all of your needs."

Some of us have class and tact, others are harsh, brash and classless.

packerbacker
06-05-2005, 09:14 PM
I work when I can rain or shine. Sometimes its just to damn wet though. But to leave a message like that for the people who pay your bills and support you to hear is assanine and immature.

Fareway Lawncare
06-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Let's not forget that Bobby can't support himself solely on Green Industry Income and must rely on other employment for additional funds.

Part Timers and Weekend Warriors and Wannabees have Entirely Different Perspectives from those who Support Themselves, Their Families and Employees solely on Green Industry Income.

promower
06-05-2005, 09:18 PM
I love when it rains for 2-3 days and the second the sun starts to shine I get bombarded with my less intelligent customers asking where we've been and why their lawn ist mowed yet. It gets agrovating but I guess its a part of the business, some people have enough common sense to know why we havent cut yet and some dont.

Scapegoat
06-05-2005, 09:19 PM
"Our goal is to see our clients happy. We are well aware through your expressed dissatisfaction that you are unhappy. At this time, we respectfully request that you find another company to provide your service that will better meet your expectations. (If they're maintenace accounts) WE will continue servicing your property for the next 2 weeks and shall enclose a written cancellation of services effective from said date. Thank you for letting us serv you and we hope you find the proper company that will suit all of your needs."

THIS is the way a successful businessman handles it. Great post!

pagefault
06-05-2005, 09:44 PM
" IF YOU ARE CALLING, BECAUSE WE MISSED YOUR LAWN THIS WEEK.....GET OVER IT! IT'S ONLY GRASS! WE WILL BE THERE, WHEN WE GET THERE!!!"

What an unusual attitude for the northeast! In all my years up there, I never ran into that! :rolleyes:

So far, I haven't had any customers call me about anything. I work, they pay. If I'm not there the day I'm supposed to be, it means the weather is too bad, I'm sick or something similar. If that's the case, I get to them as soon as I can. Of course, I don't need to leave that info on my voicemail, because they already have it in writing in their contract.

Time is money. How long did it take you to figure out your voicemail and get that message on there? How long will it take you to remember how to change it and to get the next tirade on there?

topsites
06-05-2005, 10:39 PM

Hell yeah LOL I get tired of the hand-holding crap, too! You know, it's a 15hp Kohler, it ain't a pushmower where your 4-in grass is gonna choke the little Eager-1 to death, you can let that crap get 8-10 inches tall before you even worry me with a phonecall :-)

Only reason I usually kiss their butt on this one (hold their hand and pat it gently until they're not upset no more) is because with the right customer, I kinda enjoy it :-) Yes, I am sick.

p.s.:
Did you lose any customers?
I got like that last year when I got tired of the bs, and I lost 2 or 3.
At the same rate, the ones you're left with are the better lot.

topsites
06-05-2005, 10:42 PM

Well no, some do leave. But then, I got people WAITING in line to get on my schedule, so that's how you fix that problem. AND (usually) the ones that don't leave are less of a pita. It's one way to weed out your customer base, done it more than a few times but right now I'm still a bit shaken up from last year and thou I clear 5k/month, it's still filling in gaping financial holes and I got a Loooong ways to go still.

hehehe

topsites
06-05-2005, 10:45 PM

Well I'm the same way and I agree 100% : My attitude is just as hardcore and I've NEVER had it better, never been busier - 53 grass acounts alone.

Sometimes you gotta play that 'I'm the best there's ever been' and do NOT dare question me again attitude. You gets more respect in the end and they're the ones kissing your butt instead of the other way around.

The only thing on the phone msg... I finally hit a real professional message last June (2004) and ever since I 'got' the msg right, I haven't touched it and won't touch it again - It can take 100 tries to get that message to sound so good.

Doc Pete
06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
You must have a real problem dealing with people. I've never had a problem like this.

And Bobby wonders how someone could "rat" on him.......Kinda easy with his attitude, don't ya think?????????

packerbacker
06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Well I'm the same way and I agree 100% : My attitude is just as hardcore and I've NEVER had it better, never been busier - 53 grass acounts alone.

Sometimes you gotta play that 'I'm the best there's ever been' and do NOT dare question me game.

I think what the rest of us are trying to say there is nothing wrong with having that attitude but to leave that on your answering machine is VERY unprofessional and rude.

topsites
06-05-2005, 10:51 PM

ehhh now that one I disagree - Too frequent cutting is the culprit, but it's your business and if you want to run it that way, then that is your choice.

As for me, I got sooo many damn yards to cut that so long it rains once/week (or more), I recommend to my customers they leave the sprinklers OFF to save money :-) Less water bill AND less grass-cutting fees.

Do I charge extra when it's tall? NO but only if you let me run your yard on MY schedule (as in: do NOT play the 'I will call you when it needs it' game with me because then if it's too tall, I will charge you extra before I even start).

tyvm and chit

topsites
06-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I think what the rest of us are trying to say there is nothing wrong with having that attitude but to leave that on your answering machine is VERY unprofessional and rude.

Yeah that's why I won't touch the msg cauz you never know who's calling.
And if it's one your best customers, they can end up leaving lol, and then you done weeded out your base the wrong way.
Frankly, some ppls deserve it but a LOT of them don't. No, most my customers do not bother me, I get maybe 1 or 2 calls/week that are crying / whining.

packerbacker
06-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Yeah that's why I won't touch the msg cauz you never know who's calling.
And if it's one your best customers, they can end up leaving lol, and then you done weeded out your base the wrong way.
Frankly, some ppls deserve it but a LOT of them don't. No, most my customers do not bother me, I get maybe 1 or 2 calls/week that are crying / whining.

I get the calls also but what we need to understand that is our customers dont know what is going on with our business. They dont know how many other houses we have or what our routes are. All they know is that their grass is tall and we havent been there yet. So when they call patiently explain to them the situation. 9 out of 10 times they will understand. Ever heard of the old saying " you catch more flys with honey then vinegar"?

MMLawn
06-06-2005, 12:01 AM
ehhh now that one I disagree - Too frequent cutting is the culprit, but it's your business and if you want to run it that way, then that is your choice.

That's twice now I read where you said this and you couldn't be more wrong at this time of year esp! He was exactly right that the brown he was seeing is from lack of water thus heat stress on fescue. This crapola about "cutting too much" is not causing the grass to die, not at these temps and this time of year my friend.

ToroLover
06-06-2005, 12:09 AM
And Bobby wonders how someone could "rat" on him.......Kinda easy with his attitude, don't ya think?????????
Actually no, that kind of thinking is wrong. This is an INTERNET forum, and what is said online shouldn't be taken personally and carried over into "real life". The problem with Gedd is, he trusts the wrong people.

pagefault
06-06-2005, 12:22 AM
That's twice now I read where you said this and you couldn't be more wrong at this time of year esp! He was exactly right that the brown he was seeing is from lack of water thus heat stress on fescue. This crapola about "cutting too much" is not causing the grass to die, not at these temps and this time of year my friend.

I agree. Infrequent cutting would seem more likely to cause damage right now than frequent cutting.

lawnman_scott
06-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Well no, some do leave. But then, I got people WAITING in line to get on my schedule

How long do people wait to get on your schedule? Do you send them updates every 6 months or so to show them where they are?

richard coffman
06-06-2005, 12:36 AM
i believe bobby has it right. i have a few customers that like to test the waters with me and like they know about grass better than me. I let them know that I'm looking out for them and then i give them the reason why. after that they tend to shut up and finally see the big picture.

respectfully

Richard Coffman
salt lake city,Utah :cool:

pagefault
06-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I think Bobby is the coward:

afraid to let anyone in.

We're here for you Bobby. Please, just open up your heart.

*hug*

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-06-2005, 12:52 AM
bobby is right .we should all be polite . the next time they call say with a straight face .tell them could you go out on your front lawn and do a little dance maybe that will help us out. :)

topsites
06-06-2005, 01:20 AM
I get the calls also but what we need to understand that is our customers dont know what is going on with our business. They dont know how many other houses we have or what our routes are. All they know is that their grass is tall and we havent been there yet. So when they call patiently explain to them the situation. 9 out of 10 times they will understand. Ever heard of the old saying " you catch more flys with honey then vinegar"?

You are correct, we need to handle things better AND give the right advice to readers of this forum. We are all in the same boat.

Now I've had a few acting like it's a real emergency and OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END and I ran out there all worried thinking it must've got REALLY tall and the stuff had barely grown, too.
I felt like an idiot who brought a Formula 1 racecar to a go-kart track because someone was oh-so-worried they might not win the race.
So that is the wrong answer.

Now honey IS better than vinegar but I don't kiss no butt ...
(actually with the right customer it's kinda fun but this is not the case here).
If push comes to shove, you gotta do what you gotta do but do it with the customer doing the push-shove... Do it on the answering machine and you're doing it to EVERY caller - 99% of them had nothing to do with it.
And it sounds like you're having a bad day AND one thing I learned ... funny...
It's different, but not really... I learned my lesson about having a bad day on the Internet vs. the real world, but I think it's the same...
You see, when you build a Web site during a bad day, your visitors notice this and you will lose traffic (like 50% or so, no joke). Yeah, go ahead and tell someone off on your Website, then watch your stats and see if I'm wrong (I'm not, rest assured).
And I truly believe when you do it in the real world, same effect. Broadcast your bad day, and people will leave. So most the time I don't get rude on them, I just know there is no real emergency AND I follow the schedule: first come, first serve.

So...
The best answer is to simply inform them of the situation as such:
Mr(s). Joe-customer, I have x-yards in front of you and your yard is scheduled for Thisday of the week. Yes it has been raining and this has delayed things a little bit, but I've increased production by an additional x yards/day and will get to you shortly.

(obviously x needs to be a real number and i guess a little fib on the production increase if you have to is ok)

Then there is the part when you say that above and:
Oh but can you take us next?!? OH please, we'll pay extra!
(Or they get really demanding, or threaten to leave)

And you say:
No Mr(s). Joe-customer, I can not do that because it is not fair. There are many other folks waiting in line same as you and everybody is in the rotation first come - first serve. You are yard number x in line and I am running x yards/day so I will get to you Thisday.

And if it goes on from here, repeat what you just said verbatim and nicely.

Now I think that IS professional and it's not kissing butt.

topsites
06-06-2005, 02:07 AM

I run my business my way and you run yours however you like. I am NOT wrong and I am sorry if I implied or said that you are wrong.

Now...
If it's lack of water then it shouldn't be growing, thus you do nothing and wait for rain. Besides, TOO much water will also turn it brown and it has been raining a LOT here lately.

But you want to cut the grass AND you want them to WATER it LOTS.
So high water bills AND more money in cut-fees.
(damn I gotta build a website and expose this crap)

You cut your yards as often as you want, but know that not a single one of my yards has developed even one yellow OR brown spot in the past 3 years. I got several yards going on twice/month right now and by end of june those will be once / 3 weeks (so 3 times throughout all of July-August). These are non-fertilized / non-sprinkler yards and a LOT of my sprinkler-system customers have NOT turned theirs on because I told them they did not need to do it unless they wanted me to come out more often as it would make the grass grow more and only maybe because we get a LOT of rain, too! Now temps here are in the 90's and that will fry your lawn - Water in the morning as it turns into a hot day is each droplet acts as a prysm that intensifies the rays of the sun like a magnifying glass AND it steams the plant (blades) as it evaporates. Gee, why is my yard turning bad?
MY yards are the greenest in town, NO yellow or brown spots - guaranteed!
Yes, for less money/year than ALL the rest.
(I'm cut-and-paste this crap, this is good content, lol)

Grass-cutting is what I do, grass-cutting is number ONE and with over 2000 yards under my belt, I've cut more grass than all my customers combined would cut in a lifetime if they didn't have someone else doing it.

I let it GROW which means Less grass-cutting fees AND lower water bills:
This saves the customer money AND later it takes less fertilizer to recover it.
For my customers, a budget of 600-700 / year covers it AND their grass is green ALL year round and everyone's happy.
Cheaper, easier, faster, AND better!

Personally, I think a lot of lawncare professionals are greedy SOB's who want to take the customer for every dollar they can get - Cut it all the time AND tell them to run their sprinklers, then charge them again in fall for a TON of seed/fertilizer and core aeration, now I can get over a 1000 dollars from each customer.

Know this: No matter how you run your business, you will attract customers that are most like you. If you run your business in a greedy fashion that is designed to get over on them, then most your customers are the kind who will try (and succeed) to get over on you. Do NOT underestimate the customer, people are NOT stupid.
If you run a dishonest business and lie a lot, most your customers are also frequent liars. If you run an honest business, you get a LOT less phone calls (now ain't THAT something) but you never have the kind of problems associated with greed and dishonesty, lest a poor soul is tempted and that is an honest mistake I can handle.

The anger, it clouds your judgement.

topsites
06-06-2005, 02:29 AM
How long do people wait to get on your schedule? Do you send them updates every 6 months or so to show them where they are?

I spend thousands on advertising to ensure I got more work than I can finish AND so I can do whatever I want and when the low-balling and the baloney starts, see ya. This way when someone wants to have their way with me or they think they can take my business for a test-drive, it ain't happening.

The men used to REALLY piss me off because what can you do other than beat the crap out of them, but the women puzzled me for real. In most cases they were married, and all I would've had to do was say 'You're a clever little devil you' and that would've forced a moment on them and I could've had my way with them... But they're married, so I never understood why they'd take such a chance. Then it dawned on me that these are dishonest people, and the way I was doing things must be attracting it. Still I just got tired of it, really, really tired.

So tired, it sent me over the edge a few times. The last time, I was over there for several months. You ever been over the edge?
Not that I'd recommend it but maybe you should, you wouldn't get so smart no more.
The worst part about it all was the demons, man the demons really suck.
First comes the silly little anklebiter with a row of teeth, then the half-bastard. The half-bastard is a sleek, pretty black demon, it really IS attractive. The next one I saw wasn't so good-looking no more so I figured since you can't go back out, go further down.
Ever look in the mirror and see yourself as a snout-nosed pig?
Yeah.... That's bad, isn't it?
Does it mean I'll fry in hell as the commander of an army of a million souls, is that part real? Dude, I do NOT want to know.
That and the risperdal, I can't get any motivation going while I'm taking that stuff.
Strange stuff, the edge.
But it does attract women, except it's always the wrong ones.
That's what happened to me when I finally had had enough.
One day maybe you will get tired of the dogs taking a leak on you as if you're a fire hydrant, marking you as 'theirs.' In the meantime You can be their slave, not me. See I always hated it when they act like they're doing you a favor by 'allowing' you to work on their yard, like it's a priviledge and aren't you special, little Johnny lawnboy. Yeah...

I don't mind being a grassboy, but don't treat me like you are better than me or like I survive on your donations, FTS! No, not even if you DO earn 10 times more money than I do, it gives you no right.

topsites
06-06-2005, 02:53 AM
That and the risperdal, I can't get any motivation going while I'm taking that stuff.

Go look it up, risperdal.com
I'll save you the trip: America's Number One most-prescribed Anti-psychosis medication. Go ahead, laugh.

It wasn't all their fault, some of it came from dealing with the Unix server, attempting to fully understand things like the Mysql db and the inherent problem with this number: 9,223,372,036,854,775,808
Google likes it, too:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=9,223,372,036,854,775,808
Go ahead, laugh some more.

If you're still in the mood, here's what I want you to do next:
Define precisely what is, and what is not spam.
Then, make the rules.
Once you figure it out, let me know the solution to the problem.
That one sent me across for a good trip, got to the point I couldn't tell the difference between right and wrong, like is a green light mean GO and what the hell does Red mean? Funniest thing is, nobody ever messes with you when you're like that, and EVERYBODY gets out of your way even thou you're really not trying ... All except the curious ones, like yourself.
Piece of advice: Don't be so curious, it killed the cat.
Getting smart isn't such a good idea, either... But I didn't figure that one out until I went across.
Yeah, buddy.

yrdandgardenhandyman
06-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Go look it up, risperdal.com
I'll save you the trip: America's Number One most-prescribed Anti-psychosis medication. Go ahead, laugh.

It wasn't all their fault, some of it came from dealing with the Unix server, attempting to fully understand things like the Mysql db and the inherent problem with this number: 9,223,372,036,854,775,808
Google likes it, too:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=9,223,372,036,854,775,808
Go ahead, laugh some more.

If you're still in the mood, here's what I want you to do next:
Define precisely what is, and what is not spam.
Then, make the rules.
Once you figure it out, let me know the solution to the problem.
That one sent me across for a good trip, got to the point I couldn't tell the difference between right and wrong, like is a green light mean GO and what the hell does Red mean? Funniest thing is, nobody ever messes with you when you're like that, and EVERYBODY gets out of your way even thou you're really not trying ... All except the curious ones, like yourself.
Piece of advice: Don't be so curious, it killed the cat.
Getting smart isn't such a good idea, either... But I didn't figure that one out until I went across.
Yeah, buddy.

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! ;)

bobbygedd
06-06-2005, 06:33 AM
rats are funny creatures. notice they only come out at night? probably cus it's hard to sleep with your eyes open. that's cus they are vermin, and low on the food chain, and eventually, they get smashed in a trap, or eaten alive. was that a picture of you petey? HOW TO BUILD THE PERFECT RAT TRAP, by bobby g..... garenteed....... the rat always looses in the end :waving:

YardPro
06-06-2005, 07:23 AM
You must have a real problem dealing with people. I've never had a problem like this. Well, not yet anyways. :) My clients trust my judgment and very seldom complain about petty items. Not to say I've never had a complaint but usually they are reasonable complaints and are handled professionally by both parties. Even when I was new and was taking whatever accounts I could get. Maybe people just are more volatile in NJ? :realmad: :waving:

yes, bobby has a lot of problems dealing with people. he says his customer retention is good, but always comes here telling us how he fired his customer........

this is bobby's way of "prancing" around, showing all of us how macho and cool he is ( or at least thinks he is)

WHO CARES WHAT HIS MESSAGE ON HIS MACHINE IS?? anybody who was dying to know what bobby's answering machine message is please raise your hand

LOL

YardPro
06-06-2005, 07:26 AM
topsites....

i think you're taking way too many meds... your posts are complete gibberish...

re read them and see if YOU can follow them.....

bobbygedd
06-06-2005, 07:28 AM
anybody who wants to see a steel cage match featuring me and yardpro, raise your hand. :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

packerbacker
06-06-2005, 07:28 AM
topsites....

LOL! I thought about responding to the one where he quoted me and the more I read it the bigger headache I got.

YardPro
06-06-2005, 07:30 AM
I somehow get the feeling that if you actually did leave a message like this, that you probably called the number yourself just to lesten to it. It appears that if half of what I read of your posts are true, you certainly have a problem which I am not qualified to diagnose.

If in fact you were to leave a message such as this and then write about it only confirms in my own mind that if one were to measure the size of your ego, it certainly would take more than one person to accomplish the task.

Having said that, I feel sorry for you and even more so for your customers.

boy you hit the nail square on the head with that post... :)

Doc Pete
06-06-2005, 07:36 AM
rats are funny creatures. notice they only come out at night? probably cus it's hard to sleep with your eyes open. that's cus they are vermin, and low on the food chain, and eventually, they get smashed in a trap, or eaten alive. was that a picture of you petey? HOW TO BUILD THE PERFECT RAT TRAP, by bobby g..... garenteed....... the rat always looses in the end :waving:

Gees Bobby, seems like you always have to prove just how little you really know. Just for your information, rats actually "DO" come out in the day time.
And, tell us again, since this can be a good lesson for "HOW NOT TO RUN A LCO", what did you get the fine for???
Thanks a bunch,
Pete

bobbygedd
06-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Gees Bobby, seems like you always have to prove just how little you really know. Just for your information, rats actually "DO" come out in the day time.
And, tell us again, since this can be a good lesson for "HOW NOT TO RUN A LCO", what did you get the fine for???
Thanks a bunch,
Pete
my fine.....was for striking a rat, repeatedly, about the head, knee, and ankle area, with a shovel. it seems...i needed to have an exterminating license to do this.

pagefault
06-06-2005, 08:39 AM
topsites....

Nope. He's writing gibberish and then responding to his own gibberish, but I think the answer is that he is not taking his meds (risperdal). Schizophrenics often convince themselves that they are cured and then stop taking their meds. Eventually, they become totally freaked out and crash in some form or another.

Of course, there is also the very likely possibility that he is full of it.

pines
06-06-2005, 10:06 AM
somebody has to teach u ladies. cus frankly, some of the crap i been reading here lately is PROPOSTOROUS! you all aint businessmen, you aint nothin more than hard working employees
Oh great Professor Gedd please teach us more!!!!! We will not be able to survive without your knowledge and and your act of kindness to share it.

Eddie B
06-06-2005, 11:06 AM
fight nice children :sleeping:

Doc Pete
06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
my fine.....was for striking a rat, repeatedly, about the head, knee, and ankle area, with a shovel. it seems...i needed to have an exterminating license to do this.

Look Bobby,
We all still like you, otherwise, Like "Fareway", we wouldn't even bother to respond to you.
If you want our respect, and help, then stop acting like a "Horse's behind".
What really happened???? We are here to help a fellow LCO, so act like one....
Pete

Guthrie&Co
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
i had to mow in the rain last week on a new account. after i got finished she said it was the best the yard had ever looked. it was a gamble to mow but i did it anyway. it would have been 4 more days before the next time i could have mowed it.

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
First off.... Topsites.
1. Take your meds
2. If your not on medication seek help.
3. If niether of the above apply stop sniffing that big red container that says "gasoline" on it.

Bobby you have a valid thread here. We have had tons of rain and I'm a bit behind be no calls yet. They can look out the window and my customers trust me enough to do what's right.

Your message was pretty harsh and unprofessional. Come on down here for a week and we will show you just how far being nice(not a$$kissing just nice) will get you. Just try it for a week and be happy and see how u feel and stop trying to be a wannabe goodfella. You aint DeNiro nor Ray Liota. Put the shovel down and chill out.

Try "due to inclimate weather we are behind schedual and will be servicing your property as soon as we are able. Thanks and have a nice day"

Bam end of msg

MMLawn
06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I run my business my way and you run yours however you like. I am NOT wrong and I am sorry if I implied or said that you are wrong.

Now...
If it's lack of water then it shouldn't be growing, thus you do nothing and wait for rain. Besides, TOO much water will also turn it brown and it has been raining a LOT here lately.

Then by your diluted theory there that the ONLY way to keep grass green is by not mowing more then every two weeks and only wait for rain to water it otherwise as YOU say it will die and turn brown there Topsites, then EVERY single Minor League and PRO Baseball (and College) field in Amercia should be dead and dark, dark brown cause they are WATERED and MOWED EVERY DAY....... :dizzy:

MMLawn
06-06-2005, 04:47 PM
I spend thousands on advertising to ensure I got more work than I can finish AND so I can do whatever I want.....

If this is the case and you have more customers than you need as you said in another post then why are you worried about being able to pay a "lousy $2800 back in 12 months" as you posted yesterday in the Elements forum....

As a solo LCO ...

No loan, saved cash for many years, paid off credit cards, paid off car, paid everything off and started out with NO debt thou I should've saved more like 10 or 20k. I had 5k, wasn't quite enough.

This is my 4th year and the first time I got an actual loan (tiny one) and I'm nervous as hell about paying off 2800 lousy bucks for 12-mos same as cash.

No the whole thing about loans leaves me cold, it reduces the value of my dollar and I end up losing hundreds (and thousands) of dollars over the years in interest. Loans = The sickness that afflicts the poor.

wacamaster
06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
We cut right through the damn rain. It may take longer, and not look quite as good if it is really wet, but when you have a busy schedule you can't just "sit out" a day. Pouring rain is one thing but I know a lot of guys who don't mow in lighter showers. I think it's just being lazy and using an excuse not to mow.

TJLANDS
06-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Nice catch MMLawn, I think some people just like to type....alot

Mo Green
06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
If this is the case and you have more customers than you need as you said in another post then why are you worried about being able to pay a "lousy $2800 back in 12 months" as you posted yesterday in the Elements forum....
This guy is sooooo full of it. He brags in one post about how much money he makes, and how much he spends to advertise in the yellow pages, and how he has a big house and 2 BMWs all paid for. Then he whines about paying back a $2800 loan.

I've asked him twice what his business name is so I can look at his yellow pages ad, and I get no reply.

Here's his quote from another thread:

Well don't forget to mention that I cut 10 yards/day and have 50+ grass accounts and gross 1000 dollars every 3-4 days by myself. Don't forget this is sustained day after day, week after week, and month after month. And don't forget my 2 bmw's are paid for and my house is paid off so there is no mortgage payments... Yeah lets not forget all my equipment is paid for (including the truck), and I have no outstanding balances.
Don't forget that because maybe I can afford to pay for damages or to hire the lawyer.

Now one more time: Insurance is not required by law.
If you carry it, maybe it's because you need it.
Bye.

According to this, he has no outstanding balances.

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 02:46 AM
You guys who are getting all worked up about Bobby's language or attitude toward his customers need to remember one thing;

He's from "Joisey". They ain't known for being the most polite people in those parts. What he is doing is probably fairly normal for his corner of the world. It sounds rude to us and it probably IS rude. But being a little rude is a way of life there. Knock it all you want but sometimes in an area like that, it's the only way you can get people's respect.

In my area, I can definitely tell you that this wouldn't go over well. But I am in liberal yubby-ville where everyone is a little spoiled. They expect perfection and kindness or they will go elsewhere. Bobby lives in an area where good, reliable, honest LCOs are hard to find. People there will put up with a lot more because of that.

bobbygedd
06-07-2005, 06:15 AM
mr lewis, thank you?? i think? that could have been an insult in disguise, not sure. anyhow, it's like this: nobody wants cutting on tuesdays, EVERYBODY wants thurs and friday. so, we start mowing on wednesday, mostly seniors or "lesser" clientelle get mowed on wednesday. our "better" properties are on thurs and friday, with saturday scheduled half a day, and used for spillover, we will work a full day if needed. so it starts raining friday morning, and rains for 24 straight hours untill early saturday morning. it's imposible to mow on saturday, the ground is too wet, we are rutting and tearing up the lawns. there are a handful that can be mowed, but they are one out of every group, and that would mean driving all over the place picking and choosing which lawns can handle it, that would =working at a loss. now, i've lost two mowing days - approx 30 lawns . i am NOT calling 30 customers to tell them it rained. they have eyes, they must have seen it. on sundays i do my 2 commercials, nothing more, a couple hrs in the morning , then it's family day. it is much easier for me to leave a messege on my machine. they have a copy of our rain/makeup policy, why do they need to call? one lady called sunday morning, "i want you to come today! my husband is VERY UPSET, please come today, if you don't, our entire day will be ruined." yea right, ok, let me drop what i'm doing and run right over. HA HA HA. i don't even call people like this back, what nerve

packerbacker
06-07-2005, 07:35 AM
mr lewis, thank you?? i think? that could have been an insult in disguise, not sure. anyhow, it's like this: nobody wants cutting on tuesdays, EVERYBODY wants thurs and friday. so, we start mowing on wednesday, mostly seniors or "lesser" clientelle get mowed on wednesday. our "better" properties are on thurs and friday, with saturday scheduled half a day, and used for spillover, we will work a full day if needed. so it starts raining friday morning, and rains for 24 straight hours untill early saturday morning. it's imposible to mow on saturday, the ground is too wet, we are rutting and tearing up the lawns. there are a handful that can be mowed, but they are one out of every group, and that would mean driving all over the place picking and choosing which lawns can handle it, that would =working at a loss. now, i've lost two mowing days - approx 30 lawns . i am NOT calling 30 customers to tell them it rained. they have eyes, they must have seen it. on sundays i do my 2 commercials, nothing more, a couple hrs in the morning , then it's family day. it is much easier for me to leave a messege on my machine. they have a copy of our rain/makeup policy, why do they need to call? one lady called sunday morning, "i want you to come today! my husband is VERY UPSET, please come today, if you don't, our entire day will be ruined." yea right, ok, let me drop what i'm doing and run right over. HA HA HA. i don't even call people like this back, what nerve

Hold the phone there skippy. I mow on Mon and Tue. I DONT LET THE CLIENT tell me what day they want it on. Isnt it you who preach control of them? Why do you let them set your scedule of when you are going to be there?

gavinslawncare
06-07-2005, 07:42 AM

it must be nice to get rained out we have less than 2 inches of rain since may iam laying employees off because grass is brown its like august

packerbacker
06-07-2005, 07:48 AM
it must be nice to get rained out we have less than 2 inches of rain since may iam laying employees off because grass is brown its like august

Itll come. Dont worry, we were 6 inches back and yards were browning to. Last week, in 3 days, we got 10 inches of rain.

pagefault
06-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Hold the phone there skippy. I mow on Mon and Tue. I DONT LET THE CLIENT tell me what day they want it on. Isnt it you who preach control of them? Why do you let them set your scedule of when you are going to be there?

That's what I was going to say.

bobbygedd
06-07-2005, 09:46 AM
hold your own phone skippy, i do more than mow lawns (get to the back of the bus please), so i use mondays and tuesdays for other work. there are only 6 workable days in a week, i have no problem giving them thurs and friday, with the understanding, that my rain/reschedule policy gets followed.

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 10:03 AM
mr lewis, thank you?? i think? that could have been an insult in disguise, not sure. ......

No, it wasn't an insult. I am just saying that in some areas customers are touchy and want us to treat them very politely and in some areas you can give people a verbal manwich and get away with it. It's just a cultural thing. But I get your point - it's just grass. It's not any big emergency.

Turfdude
06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Jim, I'm kinda surprised about your generalization about people from NJ. Rod & I as well as many other respectable, reputable LCO's run our business much differently. Please read my response to this thread on a much earlier page. Many times I have said that you must be my West Coast counterpart as I have great respect for the way you run your business.

JimLewis
06-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Well, it may be a generalization. And I admit I don't have a great deal of experience with your area. But from what experience I do have, I've observed that it's a little more common place for people from New York city or Jersey to be a little on the abrupt or rude side than it is for people in my area. That isn't to say there aren't good mannered people there. Just that there are obviously a few more rude people there than there are in many other parts of the country. Is that an innacurate generalization? Am I mistaken? Are most people from New York and Jersey warm happy delightful people? I may be wrong. It was just my impression. And I think many people's impression, I might add. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone by it.

packerbacker
06-08-2005, 12:36 AM
hold your own phone skippy, i do more than mow lawns (get to the back of the bus please), so i use mondays and tuesdays for other work. there are only 6 workable days in a week, i have no problem giving them thurs and friday, with the understanding, that my rain/reschedule policy gets followed.

I do more then mow lawns also champ.

Mulching
Aerating
Overseeding
Gutter Cleaning
Trimming shrubs and bushes
Tree Care
General hauling
Debris Removal
Landscaping

The only thing I dont do is fertilzing.

But I sure as heck dont let the customer tell me what day I should be there!

Try again.

bobbygedd
06-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Jim, I'm kinda surprised about your generalization about people from NJ. Rod & I as well as many other respectable, reputable LCO's run our business much differently. Please read my response to this thread on a much earlier page. Many times I have said that you must be my West Coast counterpart as I have great respect for the way you run your business.
first of all, south jersey and central jersey are as different as japen and germany. have you ever heard of the jackson-whites? most of south jersey residents can trace thier roots back to the jackson-whites. comparing me to turfdude is, well, it's just not fair. it's not fair to me, and it's embarressing for him. there is no comparisson, i am a superior individual with superior breeding. turflady calls it "respectable" because he doesn't charge for extra services like "helicopter" cleanup, or "tumbleweed" cleanup, or picking up limbs and branches. he does a cleanup every week, for free. he calls this respectable, i called it foolish.

lawnman_scott
06-08-2005, 06:05 AM
I've observed that it's a little more common place for people from New York city or Jersey to be a little on the abrupt or rude sideYou did????? Theres the understatement of the day.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-08-2005, 07:00 AM
bobby is got a point there on the take no **** approach
if u let them get to the point of dictating to u u will be the passenger on a long and painfull ride
i have had a few customers over the years that think they r in control of what i do and when i do it
some i let them think that and bill the snot out of them others i just put in there place and let the chips fall
but the message u left on your machine is a little rough bobby

what if the track called u and asked when the hell r u comming up to so they can take your money
i dont think u would be so nice :waving:

language

Doc Pete
06-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Well, it may be a generalization. And I admit I don't have a great deal of experience with your area. But from what experience I do have, I've observed that it's a little more common place for people from New York city or Jersey to be a little on the abrupt or rude side than it is for people in my area.

Jim,
You OK???....... I've known you for years, and this isn't quite you. I'm from Basking Ridge, NJ, and I'm not like that at all. Errrrrrrr, on this forum, though, it's a different story. :D

Precision
06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Well, it may be a generalization. And I admit I don't have a great deal of experience with your area. But from what experience I do have, I've observed that it's a little more common place for people from New York city or Jersey to be a little on the abrupt or rude side than it is for people in my area. That isn't to say there aren't good mannered people there. Just that there are obviously a few more rude people there than there are in many other parts of the country. Is that an innacurate generalization? Am I mistaken? Are most people from New York and Jersey warm happy delightful people? I may be wrong. It was just my impression. And I think many people's impression, I might add. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone by it.

Jim,

I had the misfortune of being born in Jersey. I lived for 12 years in NYC. Thankfully I stopped that 2.5 years ago.

You are very correct to say that the people of the greater NYC metro area are much less polite, much more abrupt and certainly expect / want /don't even notice things like Bobby's message. It is the norm. So is the one finger salute FROM Grandma. They don't call it the Bronx cheer for nothing.

Now if you go to upstate NY or Southern Jersey you will find the people to be much more like those in Oregon.

I don't think Booby is right in his zealous attacks on his customers, but his method (toned down) is right. The owner is the boss. If you know better or can do better as the homeowner, then do it and leave me alone. Someone else will be happy to sit in the AC while I sweat to make you lawn look good.

packerbacker
06-08-2005, 07:35 AM
first of all, south jersey and central jersey are as different as japen and germany. have you ever heard of the jackson-whites? most of south jersey residents can trace thier roots back to the jackson-whites. comparing me to turfdude is, well, it's just not fair. it's not fair to me, and it's embarressing for him. there is no comparisson, i am a superior individual with superior breeding. turflady calls it "respectable" because he doesn't charge for extra services like "helicopter" cleanup, or "tumbleweed" cleanup, or picking up limbs and branches. he does a cleanup every week, for free. he calls this respectable, i called it foolish.

Obviously....ROFLMAO

bobbygedd
06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
thank you packie. but tell me, in all seriousness.....why don't you apply fertilizers and weed/insect control? i think you are leaving entirely too much money on the table. this past week, i've been doing weed and fert apps. i pay $18 for a bag, and do 3-4 properties at $50 each, from one bag. that's $150-$200 , for $18 worth of material, and about an hour worth of time. if i apply 3 bags....well, let's just say, i make more in one day, before you even get out of bed, than you make in a week. what is your reason FOR NOT applying? it is by far the best money maker we have, can be done with no startup cost, and can be done at 5 in the morning if you so desire, since you are not making any noise. you must be nuts

packerbacker
06-08-2005, 03:38 PM
thank you packie. but tell me, in all seriousness.....why don't you apply fertilizers and weed/insect control? i think you are leaving entirely too much money on the table. this past week, i've been doing weed and fert apps. i pay $18 for a bag, and do 3-4 properties at $50 each, from one bag. that's $150-$200 , for $18 worth of material, and about an hour worth of time. if i apply 3 bags....well, let's just say, i make more in one day, before you even get out of bed, than you make in a week. what is your reason FOR NOT applying? it is by far the best money maker we have, can be done with no startup cost, and can be done at 5 in the morning if you so desire, since you are not making any noise. you must be nuts

Good question finally. The company I worked for before subbed all thier apps out to the biggest company around here. My old boss would pay for IN ADVANCE every app for over 400 houses for the year. Quite a big chunk of money. The fert company would then send him the invoice and in turn he would tack on 5 dollars for an office fee and send it to the customer.

Doing the math with 5 apps that would come to around an extra $10,000 worth of income for doing nothing but adding an extra invoice to the envelope.

I did that when I first got into business and Ive been doing that for the last 5 years.

Only recently have I decided to add apps to my company. The reason is I had almost 10 potential customers this year turn me down because I dont do it. They wanted 1 company to do everything. Ill be taking the test in the next couple months along with one of my employees and Ill be adding it to next years program.

As far as you saying what you said about income...I know how much I make and its enough for me to support my wife and 2 kids in one of wealthiest counties in the country.

Ive learned that most people who throw numbers around on how much they make are usually making up for something SMALLER in their life.

bobbygedd
06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
leave my "smaller" thing out of this. i was just making a point on the potential of the ferting business

packerbacker
06-08-2005, 03:46 PM
leave my "smaller" thing out of this. i was just making a point on the potential of the ferting business

Point taken and thats why we are adding it next year.

pagefault
06-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Ive learned that most people who throw numbers around on how much they make are usually making up for something SMALLER in their life.

I grossed about $1100 for my first month. :)