PDA

View Full Version : Deck hit Step!- Now Belt Looks Twisted?

hillndale
06-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Sunday afternoon, after a grueling week mowing other folks, I finally get a chance to cut my own yard. Well I push mow & weed wack my front yard likkity split--then I hop on the Scag Z Cat-- full of piss & vinegar & all cocky 'cause it's MY yard, I got totally careless & over confident. Didn't think I needed to go slow like I do at the customers, in tight places. So I'm making my first pass along a walkway with 2 steps. The steps have a 4 x 4 for the step with bricks for the walk. Well I smacked the 4 x4 with the edge of the deck and stopped me good. I finally came to my senses and pulled back on the controls. I thought I wanted to push the D*mn thing outa the way.

POINT: Did the impact bend a pully or something. The drive belt has a twist to it now and I'm not sure what the problem is. The deck seems straight still. Any suggestions as to what damage I could have done?

BTW the back didn't get mowed.

thanks
hillndale

South Florida Lawns
06-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you should have the dealer take a look at it. Did you hit the 4x4 with the deck housing or was the wood low enough that the spindle and blades hit it?

MP350
06-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Just loosen your idler pulley and straighten the belt and re-tighten idler.Then turn the blades by hand to make sure nothing is hitting, then try engaging the blades with the motor running. If ever thing is working try mowing the yard to make sure deck is mowing correctly.If everything checks out your good to go, this won't be the last time you hit the deck on something.

hillndale
06-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Sounds like you should have the dealer take a look at it. Did you hit the 4x4 with the deck housing or was the wood low enough that the spindle and blades hit it?

Just the front of the deck, face to face with the 4 x4, everything under the deck was safe.
H

hillndale
06-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Just loosen your idler pulley and straighten the belt and re-tighten idler.Then turn the blades by hand to make sure nothing is hitting, then try engaging the blades with the motor running. If ever thing is working try mowing the yard to make sure deck is mowing correctly.If everything checks out your good to go, this won't be the last time you hit the deck on something.

I'll do as you suggest Thanks very much. It seems it's always when you're feelin pretty good about things, ya screw up. In my case I've had a couple recent incidents of total carelessness. Always a wake up call!

Thanks MP350

h

MMLawn
06-05-2005, 10:19 PM

I agree and I doubt that a measley little 4x4 hurt that steel deck :D

MowerMoney
06-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I thought it was just me. Saturday I was mowing my yard with the Z and WHAM, I stops dead. The bottom edge of the deck hit the water main cap. I was going full tilt not worrying about it as I was cutting higher than I normally do and I haven't hit it before at that height. (hit the same thing once earlier in the year when cutting shorter). Bent the bottom edging of the deck a bit but managed to bang it back up with a hammer. Sure is a shock to stop dead like that. At first I thought "Oh no! Not the blades!" No permanent damage.

Dashunde
06-05-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm having cartoon'ish visions of you guys getting flung up out of your seats into the controls. A good laugh indeed. :)

TClawn
06-06-2005, 01:21 AM
maybe the belt was twisted all the time, and your just noticing it now.

btw, geting stopped dead is not a fun experience, I had it happen once on a walkebehind, knocked the breath out of me, I was do the trim pass, and I hit the edge of a tile walkway, stopped dead, and threw me into the controls. on the same lawn, I was almost bucked of the mower when it went into a big hole in the lawn at full speed. who needs rollercoasters. :)

Tharrell
06-06-2005, 05:45 AM
I did that on my WB last week running Jungle Wheels.
I was running through some thin grass next to some junipers in 5th gear. I guess I got too close to the junipers and one of the castors knocked a big chunk of concrete out in front of the deck and it sent me into the controls. My left hand came off but, my right hand held on as I went up and almost over the bars. Very embarrasing to say the least.
I don't know where that concrete came from but, it was at a convenience store account and you wouldn't believe the cr@p I find there.

hillndale
06-06-2005, 12:59 PM

I agree and I doubt that a measley little 4x4 hurt that steel deck :D

I took it in to the Dealer for some other related concerns and they did what you said. Seems OK and pulleys seem OK. Haven't mowed with it yet. And you are right about the deck. It is wicked rugged!!

maybe the belt was twisted all the time, and your just noticing it now.

Nope- it definitely got twisted from the impact, musta jogged the pulleys somehow. I could hear or maybe felt the difference right away.

Thanks all, I think it's OK -- won't know 'till I mow :D

hillndale

MP350
06-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Glad to here every thing is back together, but I would test it before you mow a customers yard. On a side note I had to argue with my dealer over a twisted belt issue, he insisted that once the belt twist it will retain that memory and continue to twist, I told him that that was alot of BS .