PDA

View Full Version : Lazer Z..(Kohler)...high rpm's

o-so-n-so
06-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I have a Lazer Z with a 25 hp Kohler (600 hrs). My problem is that When I engage my blades and push the throttle all the way open to start to cut, the rpm's run away (excessive high) for a few seconds and sometimes as long as 20 seconds. I think its something with the governors but it all looks ok. Springs and links move freely. I have always kinda frowned on washing my equipment regularly because of things rusting. Well...this started after one of my helpers had washed up all the equipment. ( coincidence or not)

It seems that something is sticking....checked and sprayed down all moving parts around the carb and linkages with a lubricant and blowed off excessive with compressed air.

What could be causing this?

Restrorob
06-05-2005, 10:01 PM
I have a Lazer Z with a 25 hp Kohler (600 hrs). My problem is that When I engage my blades and push the throttle all the way open to start to cut, the rpm's run away (excessive high) for a few seconds and sometimes as long as 20 seconds. I think its something with the governors but it all looks ok. Springs and links move freely. I have always kinda frowned on washing my equipment regularly because of things rusting. Well...this started after one of my helpers had washed up all the equipment. ( coincidence or not)

It seems that something is sticking....checked and sprayed down all moving parts around the carb and linkages with a lubricant and blowed off excessive with compressed air.

What could be causing this?

Concentrate on the gov. shaft coming out of the engine and the carb. throttle shaft spray good and move back and forth a few more times buy setting the throttle half way and moving the gov. arm with your finger briskly
do this a couple times.Sounds as if some sand particles may have gotten washed up inside one of these shafts. I wouldn't be saying this had I not seen it in the past.

fishinman22487
06-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Restrorob, i have a ? for you since it says your a master tech. My Kawasaki 15HP on my Exmark is running strange...... I just recently changed the oil and when the engine gets warm it will occasionly start to stall and sometimes even does Very confusing, I hope no droplets of water have gotten in there :cry: Any advice would be helpful..........
Thanks

Restrorob
06-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Restrorob, i have a ? for you since it says your a master tech. My Kawasaki 15HP on my Exmark is running strange...... I just recently changed the oil and when the engine gets warm it will occasionly start to stall and sometimes even does Very confusing, I hope no droplets of water have gotten in there :cry: Any advice would be helpful..........
Thanks

Well I think its just coincidental that this just started after a oil change.
Kawasaki has a known problem with ignition coils,What you need to do is determine if its ignition or the carb.,Run the unit till it quits and pull the plug out and check for spark. If it has spark take a tuna can or something of this size and hold it under the carb. bowl drain and loosen the phillips screw and check for water. If you find water take a can of carb. choke cleaner and spray a little in the open drain then quickly close the drain with your other hand and let it sit a little while and the cleaner will dry the water that is trapped in the bowl,Then give it another try and hopefully this will take care of it.

In the event you need to ask a question in the future just click my name anywhere on the site,Then click public profile, Once there you will see where you can send me a personal message.

Hope this is of some help !

Jman
06-06-2005, 12:18 PM
On the Kohler look closely at the carb linkages. On that engine they have a mechanical accelerator pump on the carb. The rod that goes thru the aluminum housing has a tendency to corrode, causing the throttle to "stick" in the wide open throttle position. Take the plunger rod out, clean, and reinstall and the problem should go away.

o-so-n-so
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Its a higher rev than just full throttle. The thing is really turning some rev's for about 5-10 seconds. I agree with the sticking part...thats what it acts like but its a higher rev than just full throttle.

Dropped it off at my dealer today. I do not have the time to check it out.
Ill post the problem when I find out from the shop.