PDA

View Full Version : Restore

GTLC
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Anybody here ever used a motor oil additive called Restore or Engine Restore in their trucks???

I just bought it, and am wondering if it is worth the money or if I should return it...

Restrorob
06-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Anybody here ever used a motor oil additive called Restore or Engine Restore in their trucks???

I just bought it, and am wondering if it is worth the money or if I should return it...

I seen a half hour show on it some years back and they claimed it works,But I don't put nothing in my truck and van but Castrol engine oil !

riches139
06-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Won't really hurt anything as long as you don't overfill.

If you Believe it helps, it will. :rolleyes:

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 02:17 AM

This is neither a testimony, nor an endorsement, but it is true:

Once when I worked for a rental company, a 5.5hp Honda trash pump was returned that had been run low on oil, and smoked like a freight train.

My co worker said " Go to the parts house and get a v8 sized can of Restore", "Dump 3/4 of it into the pump, and let it run for about 30 minutes"..

I figure why not, and gave it a shot. Results, after about 35 minutes of gentle running outside, it quit smoking. I replaced the sparkplug, and the pump ran good..Take it for what it's worth, it's just my Personal experience..

I've also had it put a LITTLE pep back into tired pickups, too.

Bitter
06-07-2005, 11:39 PM
that restore stuff will stop the oil from burning...because it makes it soo thick it cant get into anywhere to burn :rolleyes:

xcopterdoc
06-08-2005, 10:33 PM
No such thing as "mechanic in a can"! If rings are worn, cylinders are scored ect.. the ONLY thing that really fixes the problem is replacement of parts... pure and simple!

sdwally
06-09-2005, 10:18 AM
An instructor once told me, "If you are thinking about oil additives such as STP or anything similar, just give me the money and we both will be better off!"

Tider6972
06-09-2005, 12:52 PM
When I had the NAPA store, one of my best, most particular, well educated, trained, and intelligent customers used it in older vehicles and said it worked well.

I don't think it is an 'oil thickener', such as STP. It contains some polymers (or something) which 'fill' scores, etc.

Lawn Masters
06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
If.you.want.to.use.it,thats.your.choice.
I.wont.use.anything.unless.I've.seen.it.work.in.person.

txlawnking
06-10-2005, 10:48 PM
If.you.want.to.use.it,thats.your.choice.
I.wont.use.anything.unless.I've.seen.it.work.in.person.

I NEVER would have believed in it, until I saw it work.. I'm not saying it will work all the time, or any other crazy talk like that, but in the example I gave, It DID work.

Restore is not an oil thickener like STP. Like tider said, it is a little different. It never hurts to try.. If it doesn't work, you wasted $7.00, if it DOES work, It might save you a few hundred..

Lawn Masters
06-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I NEVER would have believed in it, until I saw it work.. I'm not saying it will work all the time, or any other crazy talk like that, but in the example I gave, It DID work.

Restore is not an oil thickener like STP. Like tider said, it is a little different. It never hurts to try.. If it doesn't work, you wasted $7.00, if it DOES work, It might save you a few hundred..
Good point. Maybe I'll go out and buy some, when I find it in stores here. Honestly, I really have no need for it.

Bitter
06-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Good point. Maybe I'll go out and buy some, when I find it in stores here. Honestly, I really have no need for it.
i got around to reading about it. its lead and copper in an oil base. some of the lead and copper gets smooshed into the cylinder walls and some gets smooshed between the bearings. i bet most of it plugs up the oil filter tho.