PDA

View Full Version : Drop the PITA?

jpmako
06-06-2005, 12:59 PM
I have this one client that I picked up this year. Guy is a major PITA!
So far this year the services that we have performed are as follows.
April 10th Spring Clean-up/ Dethatching
April 15th Soil Test - Lime
April 18th Aeration/ Overseeding
April 28th 1st Cut

Here is where the problems begin
May 4th Cut
May 11th Cut
May 18th Cut
May 25th Cut

This guy has a fairly small back yard that is fenced in. There is usually one dog that I agreed to put in the house through the dog door (Why I don't know) Well May 11th there is another dog (Big German Sheppard) growling and showing teeth. Me no likey to say the least. So I skip the back figuring he gets the idea. Nope he calls on may 16th and says that he is very upset and has not looked at his contract yet but is sure that he signed up for weekly service, and is really pissed that I have not been there in 3 weeks.
So I go over there on the next scheduled cutting day after the phone call June 1st and to my surprise the big puppy is there again. I approach the gate and am greeted with fangs. I am not gonna get bit for this guy's lawn.
My brother is now watching and laughing as he is cutting and says want me to go in? Well of course not I say. so we skip it again. Everything else gets cut, trimmed and edged as usual. Well Thursday night I get a call, Guy is obviously not happy and says that he can't believe that I did'nt show up again. I am too busy for this BS what should I do? He has threatened cancelling service, should I wait for his letter or send him one?

Jason

Guthrie&Co
06-06-2005, 01:05 PM
have you not told him the reason for not mowing the lawn? i would be irate as well if i havent heard anything back from you. how the hell is he going to know? tell him what the reason is and get hhim to put the dog up. is it really that hard to figure out?

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Its a no brainer. Lock the dog up or no cut. If he can't handle that then you need to move on. I cut several yards with dogs but they are all friendly. I got it on contract that I'm not liable for pets or persons in yard. I ask everyone to leave area while I'm working. Just safer and faster.

Something else to consider is the landmines(dog crap) in the yard as well. You either gonna clean it up or clean it off lol... Clean it up off the lawn or clean it off your mower if the customer don't clean it.

txlawnking
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
I see you mentioned contract.. You should have a piece in it clearly stating something along these lines:

" If pets are not securly placed inside on the day of your service, your property will not be cut ".

I sure don't want to be held liable for someones pet escaping, or setting myself up to be bitten, besides, I'm not a pet wrangler..

Just reword your contract.. Either way though, NEVER assume that your customer knew why you did or didn't do something.. You needed to call the dude after the first miss and explain..

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
06-06-2005, 03:56 PM
It sounds to me that you have not talked to this guy. Christ, call him and tell him why his back yard has not been cut. I would be pissed off too. It appears to be your own fault for not informing him of this instead of just letting it go and hoping he gets the idea. I would have called that night after the big dog appears and told him I was there, cut the front, skipped the back because of the nasty big dog. Go back the following week and if the dog is still outside, he gets skipped for good. But you seem to have failed at this miserably. Blame yourself and hope he does not bad mouth your name around town.

Tharrell
06-06-2005, 04:02 PM
I was looking in your post for the phrase, "I called him".
I didn't see it.

jpmako
06-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Wow
I did speak with him about the matter and he said that the "Big Dog"
would not be a problem. He claimed that it was either going to be inside or at his sisters house... Well it was not. I told him that I agreed to put the little dog inside so that it would not escape. The "Big Dog" looked at me like lunch.
I don't see how I failed and I should blame myself? I spoke with the guy and the situation has not been rectified. Is it my responsibility as a LCO to be a kennel operator too? I don't think so and besides he deviated from our agreement not me.
It is one thing to call me up and politely question why the back did not get done! It is a completely different situation when after speaking with the guy about the "Big Dog" problem and he calls and leaves nasty messages saying that he has reached his wits end and threatening to cancel service.
Maybe I am wrong for not attempting to open that gate and see if I can walk away with both arms. But I am not one for taking pissy phone calls when the guy knows damn well why it was skipped!

Jason

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
06-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Your original post gives no idication you talked to the guy or explained anything to him. Just that he called and was mad. You did not say you told him about he big dog or anything. That is why just about everyone after that original post came to the conclusion you did not talk to the guy.

bobbygedd
06-06-2005, 04:48 PM
get paid, in full, for each time you showed up, wether u cut the entire lawn or not. after u get paid, stop showing up. i refuse to deal with people who are so nuts that can't tell that the lawn has been mowed.

The Dude
06-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Why in the world has it gotten this far? Do you speak to the guy when he calls? Do you avoid his calls or do you let him walk all over you in the conversation?

Quit your crying, Grow a set... and tell the guy to lock up his aggressive dog. How freaking hard is that?

sheshovel
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Well then,, yes if you want to keep the job it is your responsibility as a good business man to call the cust back
and tell him very calm like that you don't apreciate being yelled at for something that you have no control over and that is the big dog that threatens your life every time you attempt to mow his back yard
Tell him that you cannot and will not mow the lawn unless the dog is gone.T
hat you agreed to put the small dog in the doggie door,but that was all.That he did not hold up his end of your verbal agreement about the dog situation.
That the dog IS A PROBLEM.
And you are going to bill him the agreed upon
monthly price but If you cant enter the back yard to mow,it's his loss and he will be billed as normal.
It's like if you forget to put out the trash cans that's your problem the trash company bills you just the same as if you had.

LawnBrother
06-07-2005, 12:40 AM
I just mace all the dogs I come into contact with. Friendly or not, mace 'em real good. Like at least half a can. By the second cut, they'll just hide in the corner of the yard. No problems. Just trim right around them, they'll leave you alone. If they are real stupid and come for you, just get em in the nose with the trimmer. Always works for me. :cool2:

LawnBrother
06-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Just kidding, I love animals! :rolleyes:

And drop that idiot customer of yours.

wacamaster
06-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Big dogs usually aren't problems. They are much smarter then those little rat dogs who will try and attack your whipper string when it's in full throttle. I've only been bitten by little dogs. They kept lunging at me.. there was a pack of 3 of them. I kept kinda acting liek im gonna kick em. Then I figured.. maybe they won't bite.. so I stopped paying attention and the damn thing gave me a good nipping on my ikillis tendion. Had a nice gash.. so I kept goign bout my work and the next time I turned away he came to do it again, that's when i was prepared and gave him a nice heel to the head. He got the point.

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 03:05 AM
I have this one client that I picked up this year. Guy is a major PITA!

Jason

That's all I really needed to read. I don't really care what the situation. But if you have even a small, decent sized business (e.g. 30 or more regular lawns per week), then I assume you have experience knowing what is normal for a client to expect and what is a PITA. If you feel someone is a lot more of a PITA than the rest of your customers are - for whatever reason - then you should drop them - period.

Now what constitutes a PITA in your book may just be a mildly picky customer to others. But those others don't own your business. They don't know what your usual clientele is like. Only you do. They shouldn't be calling the shots for you. You gotta decide for yourself. And if you think a particular client is being unreasonable, consuming a lot of your time, whatever, then you're always going to be better off dropping that person and focusing your energy on the rest of the clients you have.

The C Man
06-07-2005, 04:25 AM
so I stopped paying attention and the damn thing gave me a good nipping on my ikillis tendion.
Sometimes it's spelled 'achilles tendon.'

lawnman_scott
06-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Sometimes it's spelled 'achilles tendon.'
How did you know thats what he meant? I guess it wasnt that bad then was it?

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuse! ae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

crawdad
06-07-2005, 07:59 AM

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuse! ae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!
Do you believe everything that's forwarded to you? Do you actually think those words are scrambled in a random manner?

JimLewis
06-07-2005, 11:05 AM
How did you know thats what he meant? I guess it wasnt that bad then was it?

That was freakin' hillarious. Thanks for making my morning.

The funniest thing was that I read that entire paragraph just as fast as I would have if it were spelled correctly. :waving:

The C Man
06-07-2005, 02:10 PM
That Cambridge University thing has been circulating on the 'net for years. It is kinda cool though.

txlawnking
06-07-2005, 02:19 PM
That was freakin' hillarious. Thanks for making my morning.

The funniest thing was that I read that entire paragraph just as fast as I would have if it were spelled correctly. :waving:

Mee too!! :D :cool2:

lawnman_scott
06-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Do you believe everything that's forwarded to you? Do you actually think those words are scrambled in a random manner?
I didnt say I beleived it. Just pointing out, its not a spelling bee here. Who here didnt know he meant a kill ees?