PDA

View Full Version : brush hogging?

steve in Pa.
06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Need to get a bid in on brush hogging 37 acres of fields. Don't do much of this type of mowing. Whats the going rate for brush hogging per acre? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ToroLandscaper
06-06-2005, 07:53 PM
What kinda equipment are you using and are you goin to have to rent equipment?

steve in Pa.
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
we are going to have to rent one. probably a 4wd ford with a 6 or 7' hog.

chuckers
06-06-2005, 08:11 PM
you mite be better off talking to a famer to see what he wants to bring his tractor to do it. Then you tack about 5 or so dollars per acre on and call it a deal. He will probley be around 30 -37 an acre.

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2005, 08:23 PM
you mite be better off talking to a famer to see what he wants to bring his tractor to do it. Then you tack about 5 or so dollars per acre on and call it a deal. He will probley be around 30 -37 an acre.

no way not down here. If it wasnt to far from me I would be around 12 to 14 an acre depending on the land. round 480 for just clearing a pasture. 2 hours tops with my 12 ft flex deck and thats lolligagging. 5 or 6 ft about 6 hrs work. This is considering its wide open and not insane overgrown. There is sooo many variables. How tall is it? terrain? What are you bushhoggin?

steve in Pa.
06-06-2005, 08:25 PM
12 - 14 dollars an acre?? I wouldn't even consider calling the rental place to reserve the piece of equipment for that. we were thinkinga around 35-40 an acre with one guy mowing.

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 08:34 PM
12 - 14 dollars an acre?? I wouldn't even consider calling the rental place to reserve the piece of equipment for that. we were thinkinga around 35-40 an acre with one guy mowing.

It seems to be a large range between 20- 45 an acre but as has been mentioned there are a lot of variables in this type of cutting........terrain,type of growth,thickness of growth, etc.

With 37 acres to do I doubt you'll get 35-40.

Todd's lawncare
06-06-2005, 11:44 PM
60 an acre buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if all at one place go 50
and you other goof balls to rent one will probably be 100 to 250 bucks i guess you don't have a family or bills either

dvmcmrhp52
06-06-2005, 11:52 PM
60 an acre buddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if all at one place go 50
and you other goof balls to rent one will probably be 100 to 250 bucks i guess you don't have a family or bills either

Good luck at 60/ acre.

Todd's lawncare
06-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Good luck at 60/ acre.
What do you mean good luck ????/ I mean i don't do much of that but my uncle on the other hand does it all the time and he gets that if not more . I don't know where you guys went to pricing school at but DAMN you charge 30 for a postage stamp yard and the same for an acre get real .

Itsgottobegreen
06-07-2005, 12:26 AM
I get $75 an hour with a 48" wide brush hog with a two hour minmum. I can do an acer an hour. I do a bunch of little jobs that no body wants to mess with since they all have bigger equipment.

gunner27
06-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Are you guys using brush hogs or flail mowers? Flail mowers kick a$$!

steve in Pa.
06-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the info guys. There are two fields that need mowed, so moving equipment only once.

JOEWOOD
06-07-2005, 07:22 AM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/BDX/BDX194/bxp35802.jpg

Hello Steve, here in Sunny Florida 37 acres would run around $720.00.

20 bucks an acre!

Joe... :waving:

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
What do you mean good luck ????/ I mean i don't do much of that but my uncle on the other hand does it all the time and he gets that if not more . I don't know where you guys went to pricing school at but DAMN you charge 30 for a postage stamp yard and the same for an acre get real .

I know a little something about the shamokin area and central Pennsylvania, not exactly premium priced markets.

By the way, chopping up chunks of weeds on an acre with no regard to appearance is slightly different from maintaining a lawn.

Tonyr
06-07-2005, 06:14 PM
there is a lot of variance here, and I'm not clear exactly how long/rough this terrain is.....question is that solves all issues is....with your mower on this job, how long would it take you?

How long with a hired tractor and bush hog?
What cost?

Knowing this a amount will become clear...

over here a paddock is like 2 to 3 ft high grass mixed with bermuda etc, very rough, holes, stumps etc, rough jobs like this I easily get a min of $66 an acre,(often much, much more!), sometimes clients are happy to pay by the hour, $66. 1 acre of ferral scrub an hour is easy, this is double cut. If mowable in the true sense 1.5 acres an hour is easy enough and leave a quality finish.

you have to price rough jobs higher than lawn jobs imo, they wear ya mower faster, and it's not like the client is going to be a reliable regular like a lawn client.

My niche is the rough stuff the lawn mower guys won't do, and I make good money doing it, remember I'm on a different currency though, 66 in your world is like 50 or something?

If you think the paddock is rough and potentially damaging to your mower, hire a contractor with slasher, put 30% on for yourself, bingo....I do this often. then you see what ya got, then can tell client, you can mow in 3 weeks or whatever and drop a few bucks even, this way you aren't cutting ferral grass, the hard work is done.

But what we call paddocks and what you guys do is different, so my comments may be way off, have you got pics?

Pro-Scapes
06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
you cant compare bush hoggin to lawns. Not even the same work or equipment. I got 20k tied up in my tractor and flexdeck hog. No way could I get 60 an acre unless it was severly over grown and only an acre or 2 or 3. I do have a minimum charge. Not like Im going to go bushhog an acre and charge the guy 20 bucks.

if i hay mow 100 acres for a farmer not like I can get 2000 for a days work either. All realative. Figure out your costs and bid from there. If its open flat land it will pay off to go with a wider hog

Pro-Scapes
06-07-2005, 06:18 PM
there is a lot of variance here, and I'm not clear exactly how long/rough this terrain is.....question is that solves all issues is....with your mower on this job, how long would it take you?

What cost?

over here a paddock is like 2 to 3 ft high grass mixed with bermuda etc, very rough, holes, stumps etc, rough jobs like this I easily get a min of $66 an acre,(often much, much more!), sometimes clients are happy to pay by the hour, $66. 1 acre of ferral scrub an hour is easy, this is double cut. If mowable in the true sense 1.5 acres an hour is easy enough and leave a quality finish.

you have to price rough jobs higher than lawn jobs imo, they wear ya mower faster, and it's not like the client is going to be a reliable regular like a lawn client.

My niche is the rough stuff the lawn mower guys won't do, and I make good money doing it, remember I'm on a different currency though, 66 in your world is like 50 or something?

If you think the paddock is rough and potentially damaging to your mower, hire a contractor with slasher, put 30% on for yourself, bingo....I do this often. then you see what ya got, then can tell client, you can mow in 3 weeks or whatever and drop a few bucks even, this way you aren't cutting ferral grass, the hard work is done.

But what we call paddocks and what you guys do is different, so my comments may be way off, have you got pics?

paddock there is a pasture here. fenced in area for livestock eh mate?

dvmcmrhp52
06-07-2005, 06:26 PM

What cost?

G'Day Tony,
My point here is this.............
You can get $60/ acre for 1 or 2 acres on occasion for brushogging, however NO one is going to pay $2200 for 37 acres of brushogging at that same $60/ acre.
As the acreage increases the price per acre decreases to a level in line with volume.
The people bidding these jobs are not running 48" rough mowers, they are running 2-3 times that size and more.

We were talking about 37 acres here................

Charles
06-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Yea, you wont get 60$ an acre around here either. We got people bushhogging for beer money in this area. Then their tractor breaks down and they are done for. Only to be replaced by another lowballer. I waite for the good jobs or I dont run my tractor

shortgut
06-07-2005, 07:06 PM
charge them per hr @30.00 per hr

Todd's lawncare
06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
I know a little something about the shamokin area and central Pennsylvania, not exactly premium priced markets.

By the way, chopping up chunks of weeds on an acre with no regard to appearance is slightly different from maintaining a lawn.
Well if you know any thing about shamokin you know there isn't any thing bigger then a 1 acre lawn soooooo. All the brush hogging i do is out past Scranton pa .
And for the guy that said 30 an hour and mow 2 acres and hour thats 15 an acre but most say i don't drop the gate for less then 30 for a 12X50 yard but they will do acre for 15 20 25 30 . I'm not saying i know it all but how can you even make beer money at them rates ? Say what you will

shortgut
06-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Well if you know any thing about shamokin you know there isn't any thing bigger then a 1 acre lawn soooooo. All the brush hogging i do is out past Scranton pa .
And for the guy that said 30 an hour and mow 2 acres and hour thats 15 an acre but most say i don't drop the gate for less then 30 for a 12X50 yard but they will do acre for 15 20 25 30 . I'm not saying i know it all but how can you even make beer money at them rates ? Say what you will

Need to get a bid in on brush hogging 37 acres of fields. Don't do much of this type of mowing. Whats the going rate for brush hogging per acre? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The $30.00 per hr was based on the number of acres 37 and we do have a min of $50.00 per hr so on small jobs we average $50.00 per hr and the tractor work is a very smalll part of or work now we usually only brush hog one day a week the rest is lawn mowing . which I will not drop the gate for less than $35.00 . HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!!!!!!!

steve in Pa.
06-08-2005, 09:23 PM
This bid is for a municipality so not like your average customer who has a lot. will be mowed 3 times a year.

TURF DOCTOR
06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Locals here charge 12 to 14 bucks an acre with batwings,1 guy charges 18 bucks an hour 6 foot woods this guy can run this mower like a ztr.you have compitetion with locals.

Todd's lawncare
06-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Locals here charge 12 to 14 bucks an acre with batwings,1 guy charges 18 bucks an hour 6 foot woods this guy can run this mower like a ztr.you have compitetion with locals.
12-14 NO WONDER EVERY ONE IS CRY ABOUT NOT MAKING MONEY YOU CAN MAKE MORE THEN THAT WITH A 9-5 WITH ALOT LESS HEADACHE