PDA

View Full Version : properly sharpening a blade?

adam5557
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey guys I have a quick question as this is my first year cutting grass. Alright i have a 36in metro with two blades. I have a 5in craftmans bench grinder with two wheels. This is how i sharpen them. I take them slightly touching the grinder so that it has a sharp edge then file them down to put on finishing touches. I then balance with a home cheapo cone(its better then nothing). After i cut 2 lawns I took a loook at my blade and it wasnt razor sharp but wasnt to dull. I notice when I sharpen it makes a good amount of sparks.Is there any way i can make my blade stay sharper longer?Thank you.Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to learn how to do things the right way.thank you

jeffex
06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
you don't want it razor sharp like a knife it will just weaken the edge. its not knife blade steel. the main thing is to keep the underside flat and maintain the angle of the blade edge. Those static balancers work ok I have used them for many years.

adam5557
06-06-2005, 11:03 PM
I heard something about keeping the blade cool when sharpening and reducing the amount of sparks.any ideas or am i wrong?

GLC
06-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Yes you should keep the blades cool. I have taken a metal working class and after you get the blade sharp, immediatly dip that end of the blade in a bucket of water. This action hardens the blade after the heat makes it very brittle. If you don't believe me, just try it. I also was able to drill a hole in a metal file. Try it and you will break a drill bit everytime. But sharpen one end of blade, dip in water, sharpen other end, dip in water and balance. If not balanced, repeat until balanced. Your blades will stay sharper longer. Good Luck!

marko
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
I use a 4.5" grinder with a 50 grit flap sanding disk on it. Never get the bluing like the grinding wheels. Touch up with a 10" mill file. The important things are keeping the proper factory angle, and avoid over heating as stated above. That will make steel very brittle.