PDA

View Full Version : grasshopper vs. exmark

Bushbuster
06-06-2005, 08:17 PM
does anyone have both grasshopper and exmark ? if so which do you like better and why ? i am considering these two and would appreciate opinions from anyone who has experience with both.

PLM-1
06-06-2005, 08:49 PM
I demoed them both and ended up with a Grasshopper. I love it. Cost more but well worth it. Last week I went and demoed another Exmark to make sure I wasn't missing anything...and i wasn't.

Bushbuster
06-06-2005, 09:04 PM
so far everyone i've talked to says grasshopper too.

digger1
06-06-2005, 10:12 PM
have 3 hoppers and am biased on them. my dealer support is second to none and only demo'd a few years ago. very satisfied with them. dealer support is very important and parts that he stocks if you are looking at both brands. good luck!

CBB
06-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I would definitely demo Exmark from the dealer there in Van Buren. Those guys are excited about taking care of the customer and have been converting a few people from Grasshopper. Grasshopper has been in your area a long time and Exmark is somewhat still new in the game. I also know the Exmark sales rep for the area and he would be more than happy to help you in trying a machine on your own terms. If you would like more information about these guys let me know, and I can have them contact you personally. But definitely demo the products, no matter what color paint you are looking at.

Blades of Steel
06-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I'll second that Digger1. I love mine, and then there are those who love their Exmarks.

Good luck on your decision.

Tim

RayoVac
06-06-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't mow lawns for a living... but I had a GH 618 Front mount with the 52" Deck. It cut GREAT!!! Striped O.K. (no stripe kit). I thought the controls were sloppy and the Kohler 18 was very problematic for me. It was long and although the front deck let me get into a lot of tight spots... I still had to maneuver the mower making some areas a bit akward around my deck and certain areas of my yard.

I switched to a Exmark Lazer HP with a 48" deck and 19 Kawi, I got the striping roller and Ultra-Vac two bagger. So far I love the Mid-Mount Exmark. Yes... it is harder to trim some area that were previously easier with the GH. But overall the Lazer HP is much shorter and easier to get where I want it. Not to mention I feel as if it is not quite a rough on the turf. The cut is absolutely terrific and the option for the striping roller lays perfect stripes. The controls are quick and very responsive. It holds more then double the fuel of my 618 and has about 2mph faster in speed.

This is such a loaded question because there are so many loyal folks on these boards. You will get just as many remarks telling you to try a Ferris and Dixie and Toro and Hustler as well. Demo, Demo, Demo then go with a good dealer.

Good Luck!

PLM-1
06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't mow lawns for a living... but I had a GH 618 Front mount with the 52" Deck. It cut GREAT!!! Striped O.K. (no stripe kit). I thought the controls were sloppy and the Kohler 18 was very problematic for me. It was long and although the front deck let me get into a lot of tight spots... I still had to maneuver the mower making some areas a bit akward around my deck and certain areas of my yard.

I switched to a Exmark Lazer HP with a 48" deck and 19 Kawi, I got the striping roller and Ultra-Vac two bagger. So far I love the Mid-Mount Exmark. Yes... it is harder to trim some area that were previously easier with the GH. But overall the Lazer HP is much shorter and easier to get where I want it. Not to mention I feel as if it is not quite a rough on the turf. The cut is absolutely terrific and the option for the striping roller lays perfect stripes. The controls are quick and very responsive. It holds more then double the fuel of my 618 and has about 2mph faster in speed.

This is such a loaded question because there are so many loyal folks on these boards. You will get just as many remarks telling you to try a Ferris and Dixie and Toro and Hustler as well. Demo, Demo, Demo then go with a good dealer.

Good Luck!

You had the old transmissions. The G2's are very quick and quiet. I have never had any problems with length. I can run all day on 4.5 gallons of diesel.

MJB
06-07-2005, 12:13 AM
I have both and use both everyday. I can honestly say I prefer the Exmark Lazer Z to the Frontmount 725 Grasshopper. Here is why... Manueverability, the Exmark is a midmount gets into tight places, the Grasshopper frontmount doesn't. Reason #2 The Grasshopper deck is not as deep and does not mulch as good as the Exmark. Reason #3 I have more room on my trailer with Exmarks than Grasshopper frontmounts. Don't get me wrong Grasshoppers are a great mower. It comes down to customer support, I can't say good things about either because both dealers are to far away from me.

If you like Grasshoppers check out their midmounts I'd like to hear how they compare to Exmarks Lazer Z. For bagging huge areas the Grasshopper 725 frontmount is the way to go with the huge hopper.

RayoVac
06-07-2005, 12:13 AM
You had the old transmissions. The G2's are very quick and quiet. I have never had any problems with length. I can run all day on 4.5 gallons of diesel.

Actually.. they don't put G2s in the 600 series.

Yup... diesel would be cool... but a bit overkill for my application. :rolleyes:

PLM-1
06-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Actually.. they don't put G2s in the 600 series.

Yup... diesel would be cool... but a bit overkill for my application. :rolleyes:

Yes i know they didn't. I was assuming that you weren't going for the base models since the upper level machines don't cost THAT much more to get more.

Envy Lawn Service
06-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Why is it that every time Grasshopper gets brought up it seems as though everyone forgets they make the M-1 Mid-Mount ZTR's???

The Duramax deck on them is 5.5" deep, which makes it just as deep as the eXmark. In fact, other than the 48" all of their mid-mount decks are 5.5" deep.

Now I know someone will surely flame me for this, but in my opinion, Grasshopper makes a little better all around machine, and without question they OWN the diesel market. But they sure ain't as pretty as eXmark.

finmower
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Like Envy says, there is nothing similar with GH 618 and eXmark midmount.
If we compare exmark/48 midmount to Grasshopper we need to take GH 218/48.
It has separate pumps and drivemotors, and it is smooooth and midmount.
You can also get a good bagger for it, with steel blower.

Bushbuster
06-07-2005, 06:21 PM
i was thinking the grasshopper diesel 60" either mid-mount or the front mount which would be better?

tacoma200
06-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I have owned both a mid mount Grasshopper and Exmark. Both were great machines. I think the Grasshopper was more comfortable, easier to change mowing heights and maybe a little smoother, definately better ride. The Exmark had a better cut, was faster, and I like the look of it. Both are great machines. I did notice that the grasshopper ROPS are not foldable so that would present a problem for me (low tree branches, etc.) on the Exmark you can fold them down out of the way. All the large lawn cares around here run the front mount Grasshoppers and they swear by them. They say they can go places and on slopes that mid mounts have a hard time with. I guess its just a regional thing but you dont see many Exmarks around here. I like both and they both have good qualities. Best thing to do is demo, demo, demo and see what right for you. Both are great quality machines.

tacoma200
06-07-2005, 07:17 PM
i was thinking the grasshopper diesel 60" either mid-mount or the front mount which would be better?

If you have alot of low hanging trees or fences to mow under or property is steep I would go with the front mount. Other wise the mid mount seems like the logical choice.

PLM-1
06-07-2005, 07:28 PM
I have owned both a mid mount Grasshopper and Exmark. Both were great machines. I think the Grasshopper was more comfortable, easier to change mowing heights and maybe a little smoother, definately better ride. The Exmark had a better cut, was faster, and I like the look of it. Both are great machines. I did notice that the grasshopper ROPS are not foldable so that would present a problem for me (low tree branches, etc.) on the Exmark you can fold them down out of the way. All the large lawn cares around here run the front mount Grasshoppers and they swear by them. They say they can go places and on slopes that mid mounts have a hard time with. I guess its just a regional thing but you dont see many Exmarks around here. I like both and they both have good qualities. Best thing to do is demo, demo, demo and see what right for you. Both are great quality machines.
GH has a foldable ROPS now. IMO, take the stupid things off like i did. I demoed both the mid and front mount. I really like the front mount. It doesn't seem as fast when you demo them back to back. But it will out-cut a any midmount.

tacoma200
06-07-2005, 07:36 PM
GH has a foldable ROPS now. IMO, take the stupid things off like i did. I demoed both the mid and front mount. I really like the front mount. It doesn't seem as fast when you demo them back to back. But it will out-cut a any midmount.

Sorry for the mistake on my part. They just sent me a new catalog showing solid ROPS. Didn't know they were making foldable ones. Thanks for catching my mistake. What are you basing you statement about it outcutting any other midmount. Have you test driven or owned one with a large engine? I will be purchasing another ZTR eventually and that info may be of help to me. Thanks.

Envy Lawn Service
06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok, here's my take on this issue...

In my opinion, the Grasshopper front-mount mower would be the king if investments because of all the other operations you can also perform with it. BUT, the key is, you must have the kind of mowing accounts that are welcoming to the machine. Otherwise I believe you would spend most of your mowing time wishing you had bought a mid-mount.

A prime example is my business. I would love to have the Grasshopper front mount. But my mowing accounts and the way I mow just won't allow for it. This is simply because of the beastly size of the machine and it's orientation while mowing. I'd spend a lot of time trying to manuver the machine and trying to avoid banging the tail-end into things while mowing.

You really gotta demo both on your mowing accounts to really understand I guess.

Bushbuster
06-07-2005, 08:28 PM
I think im going to go with a gh 928D2 61" with model 25 power vac collection system :blob3: i've owned alot of junk, i thought it was time to buy something nice thanks for everyone input it was helpful.

Bushbuster
06-07-2005, 08:29 PM
I think im going to go with a gh 928D2 61" with model 25 power vac collection system :blob3: i've owned alot of junk, i thought it was time to buy something nice. thanks for everyone's input it was helpful.

hpc
06-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I bought a 928D2 with the 61 "powerfold" deck and mulch kit. We just switched to
turfs as my son who is NOT experienced with ZTR's is having trouble with his
turns. Every once-in-awhile, he leaves a rutt. He bought the tires, so
I can't complain too much.

The front mount is great come time to change blades; clean underneath;
and mow under trees, etc. If the places we mow weren't open or had
lots of obstacles, then it would have to be a mid-mount.

MJB
06-07-2005, 11:49 PM
All I know is it takes a longer trailer than I have for my two frontmount GH's to ride together. 16 ft and I have to angle them and still have no room for a walkbehind. Go demo a midmount GH and go midmount if you can. The frontmount are ok, but the midmounts rock Exmark or GH. I will say the G2 hydros on the GH are smoother than the Exmark. I just wish I had a dealer closer to check out all the new midmounts models GH has come out with. But I guarantee I would demo them before I bought one over an Exmark.

PLM-1
06-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Ok, here's my take on this issue...

In my opinion, the Grasshopper front-mount mower would be the king if investments because of all the other operations you can also perform with it. BUT, the key is, you must have the kind of mowing accounts that are welcoming to the machine. Otherwise I believe you would spend most of your mowing time wishing you had bought a mid-mount.

A prime example is my business. I would love to have the Grasshopper front mount. But my mowing accounts and the way I mow just won't allow for it. This is simply because of the beastly size of the machine and it's orientation while mowing. I'd spend a lot of time trying to manuver the machine and trying to avoid banging the tail-end into things while mowing.

You really gotta demo both on your mowing accounts to really understand I guess.

I have NEVER hit anything with the tail end of my machine. I was talking to my dealer earlier about this very thing. On an over deck trailer, you can turn a front mount around zero turn, a mid mount you can't. I watched the rep (dealers bro) do it unloading new machines. GH JUST came out with a 729 Gas. Same block as the 722 Diesel except gasser heads. It runs like a SOB!

PLM-1
06-07-2005, 11:54 PM
All I know is it takes a longer trailer than I have for my two frontmount GH's to ride together. 16 ft and I have to angle them and still have no room for a walkbehind. Go demo a midmount GH and go midmount if you can. The frontmount are ok, but the midmounts rock Exmark or GH. I will say the G2 hydros on the GH are smoother than the Exmark. I just wish I had a dealer closer to check out all the new midmounts models GH has come out with. But I guarantee I would demo them before I bought one over an Exmark.

Flip the decks up! Then you can get your w/b on there!

MJB
06-08-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm not flipping up my 61inch deck 10 times per day, not with my back anyway. I don't have hydraulic lift.

MJB
06-08-2005, 12:17 AM
I have NEVER hit anything with the tail end of my machine. I was talking to my dealer earlier about this very thing. On an over deck trailer, you can turn a front mount around zero turn, a mid mount you can't. I watched the rep (dealers bro) do it unloading new machines. GH JUST came out with a 729 Gas. Same block as the 722 Diesel except gasser heads. It runs like a SOB!
What are you talking about?? Why can't you zero turn a midmount?? I don't get it............Try putting an employee on a GHopper frontmount on a property with obstacles and tight spots buildings, signs etc. It cost my insurance company $2300. for the damage done to a fancy sign. This employee was no rookie either 12 yrs of running GH. Now all we use on this job is midmounts. Their is no rear end to swing around period. NO worries!! 6 yrs and counting........

PLM-1
06-08-2005, 12:50 AM
What are you talking about?? Why can't you zero turn a midmount?? I don't get it............Try putting an employee on a GHopper frontmount on a property with obstacles and tight spots buildings, signs etc. It cost my insurance company $2300. for the damage done to a fancy sign. This employee was no rookie either 12 yrs of running GH. Now all we use on this job is midmounts. Their is no rear end to swing around period. NO worries!! 6 yrs and counting........

Zero turning it on a trailer is what i was talking about. Sounds like your employee wasn't paying attention. I've NEVER hit one thing with the rear, just pay attention!

olderthandirt
06-08-2005, 05:24 AM
It comes down to personal preference and dealer support. In Ohio your dealer Buys through a distributor, NOT GrassHopper and the distributor sucks! And only so much a dealer can do when the distributor won't honor any warrenty claims. Fot that reason I own my last Hopper. Too many other mowers to choose from when spending 11k